Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How Do I Tackle This?

(99 Posts)
Woodmouse Sun 13-Dec-20 19:47:38

During the summer my DH moved to a completely new part of the country where we didn't know a soul. I sold an item on FB Marketplace and the person who bought it was a local hairdresser. As I was looking for a new hairdresser I phoned her a few days later and made an appointment. I was very pleased with the cut and have been back since for one other cut. When I recently had to reschedule my appointment my new hairdresser contacted me via FB, offering me a different date etc. Fine. A couple of nights ago at 10.30pm she messaged me, asking if I could do her a favour. Thinking that it was in relation to my next appointment I said yes if course. Within a couple of minutes she messaged me back - basically could I lend her £400 until the following morning so that she wouldn't go overdrawn. I was totally shocked and didn't go back to her. I haven't heard anything back from her since and can't understand what happened. Had her phone been stolen and someone was trying to scam money from her contacts? Was the message meant for someone else? Did she really expect me to lend her money? I hardly know her! I just can't work it out. Basically, advice please, what should I do? I have an appointment with her at the end of this month?

M0nica Fri 18-Dec-20 21:15:15

This is an old scam returning in a new form

Quite some years ago I received a constant stream of such requests in my email. If it was genuine, many of my slighest acquaintances were all stuck in remote parts of the world with all their money and cards stolen and they were contacting me rather than other family members.

Without a doubt this is a scam and someone has hijacked her account.You barely know this lady it is highly improbable, that she would approach you for a loan.

Woodmouse Fri 18-Dec-20 20:44:54

Thank you Daddima!
smile

DanniRae Thu 17-Dec-20 15:39:08

WELL DONE Daddima - your message seems to have done the trick!! tchgrin

Situpstraight2 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:42:13

Daddima pity you couldn’t do it in red!
?

Daddima Wed 16-Dec-20 14:51:09

HER HAIRDRESSER KNEW HER ACCOUNT HAD BEEN HACKED AND HAS REPORTED IT TO FACEBOOK, BUT SHE THANKED ALL WHO POSTED.

DanniRae Wed 16-Dec-20 09:25:38

When people join the thread 4 pages in to say that they think the original poster has been hacked what on earth do they think all the previous posters have been saying??
At least read few posts before adding your advice........hmm

Shropshirelass Wed 16-Dec-20 08:18:14

I think you should show her the messages, if it has happened to you it has probably happened to someone else as well. She needs to know so that if it is a scam she can report it. If it was her then find another hairdresser. I would be very surprised if it was a genuine request.

Saetana Wed 16-Dec-20 01:42:42

@polly perkins - I've had the same message from one of my FB friends today, thought it was a bit iffy. "sending a video saying you need to see this as I think you are in it". I've posted on her wall, rather than sending a message, to alert her to the possibility she has been hacked sad

Woodmouse Tue 15-Dec-20 22:32:33

Hello GNs! I did do an update earlier in the thread which a lot of you missed. Yes, my poor hairdresser's FB account had been hacked and I found out she'd reported it to FB who were looking into it. Thank you for your comments and hopefully we are all becoming wiser regarding these scams.

Ojoy Tue 15-Dec-20 22:05:23

Sounds like she’s been hacked. I received a similar message from a friend of mine. I ignored it as I reckoned she would have phoned me rather than asking me via Facebook. My friend was so embarrassed by it all she closed her Facebook account straight away. I was just one of many in her contacts list who had been asked for £200.

moggie57 Tue 15-Dec-20 20:21:05

Deft a scam.I would go and dace her and ask what she up to.and report it to the police

GreenGran78 Tue 15-Dec-20 18:30:45

I chat-mailed with an Australian friend for about 30 minutes. The conversation seemed perfectly normal, about family and general chit-chat. Just as I was about to sign off and go to bed she mentioned being contacted, and receiving money for a charity she supports. It sounded genuine, but I couldn’t believe that she just had to contact an agent and they sent her cash for the charity. She confirmed that it was true, and gave me the agent’s email address, telling me to apply. Bemused, I went to bed. The next day she announced that her Facebook Messenger had been hacked. I had been chatting, unsuspectingly, to the hacker! They must have studied her personal details, and her writing style, and they were so good that I never suspected a thing!
No doubt if I had contacted this ‘agent’ they would have asked for my bank details so that they could transfer the cash to me. It didn’t come to that, but I wouldn’t have been so stupid anyway.
Beware! They are out to get your money, and they can be damn good at deception!

Grannytwoshoes Tue 15-Dec-20 18:11:26

This is a scam. I was asked on Messenger if a friend I knew could borrow some money. I thought how strange as she was not the kind of person to need to borrow and not from me! I asked a few questions.. her husband snd sons names and her sons school... the whole site crashed!
She told me later someone had hacked into her account. But for a split second I did wonder if I could help.. there’s no fool like an old one!!

Lewie Tue 15-Dec-20 17:56:09

Spot on BlueBelle

Calendargirl Tue 15-Dec-20 17:54:46

Agree BlueBelle.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Dec-20 17:44:02

It’s more bad manners to answer with out at least skim reading eloethan It’s very very irritating and even if you only read the original poster s subsequent posts for updates that’s something, but to keep answering without reading any updates is annoying and unnecessary

Eloethan Tue 15-Dec-20 17:37:34

By the way, I too think it's rather rude to admonish people for not reading the whole thread. Some people just don't have the time to plough through pages of responses. I know it's a bit annoying. after the whole matter has already been resolved, to read further advice and suggestions but, really, is it such a big deal?

Eloethan Tue 15-Dec-20 17:34:51

Grandmama* I recently had that "couldn't deliver your order" message. Had I actually ordered something, I hope I would not have fallen for this but I can see how people get caught out.

Grandmama Tue 15-Dec-20 17:29:50

I nearly fell for a scam supposedly from an elderly person I know asking me to buy an Amazon gift card on their behalf as 'I am not very good at using Amazon and the internet'.

This week an email came (supposedly) from a well known delivery firm who had not been able to deliver a parcel to me but I would need to pay a charge to have it re-delivered.

Is there a website where one could post these scams?

hilz Tue 15-Dec-20 17:18:40

Think it best to talk to her face to face and ask if she sent you a text asking for money. If she says yes.... Tell her you were a bit shocked and thought it was a scam so didn't reply. Sorry that you aren't in a position to be able to help.If she says no she can deal with hacked account and concider telling the police.

Ellypat Tue 15-Dec-20 16:46:56

I would steer clear. She may have been hacked, and, if so, I’m sure her friends will have alerted her. But she may be running a scam herself, and further contact may be just what she wants. Whenever my friends have had their email hacked, they’ve always sent a message to all their contacts to warn us.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 15-Dec-20 16:29:07

I know woodmouse has resolved the issue but for anyone still reading the thread, these scams are happening a lot. My daughter had something similar through WhatApp. I've had email and messenger messages.

It's not necessarily the sender's facebook/email/phone that's been hacked. It could have been woodhouse's' (the receiver) messenger page. They look for people who have contacted you and then pretend to be that person.

GrannyRose15 Tue 15-Dec-20 16:00:21

Craicon

Why do so many posters feel that their advice is so crucial to the OP, they go straight to posting after reading the opening post and are too lazy to read the thread properly?

The situation has been resolved! hmm

This is insulting and unnecessary. We are only trying to help.

My message should have made clear that I was answering another post.

GrannyRose15 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:57:21

Why do so many posters feel that their advice is so crucial to the OP, they go straight to posting after reading the opening post and are too lazy to read the thread properly?

The situation has been resolved! hmm

This is insulting and unnecessary. We are only trying to help.

GrannyRose15 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:55:02

You must find a tactful way of letting her know you have had this message supposedly from her. She will then be able to change passwords or contact her provider if she chooses. Please don't ignore it because things might get worse for both of you - more begging texts for you and bigger damage to her reputation.
I once had an e-mail supposedly from an Indian friend saying he was away from home and had had all his money stolen. Fortunately, I was able to ring him up, get him out of bed and ascertain he was safely at home. His e-mail account had been hacked. (I didn't intend ringing him at night, I just got the time difference wrong!!!).