Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daughter won’t speak

(103 Posts)
Torbaygran Tue 15-Dec-20 20:39:32

I’m afraid my daughter won’t speak to me due to our completely differing views on the current situation. After a heated exchange of views by email and FB I suggested we totally drop the subject and asked if we could start again but she’s blocked me and won’t answer me. We live quite close but the last time I knocked the door she just poked her face out and said she was ok. She has lost her job through this so called pandemic and her husband can’t work through illness. I was sending them cash and helping with groceries before but said I would now save it till she decided to speak to me. I’ve always trodden on eggshells around her and she only gets on intermittently with her sister. Should I carry on paying into her account as she never acknowledges receiving it or thanking me. Feel so hurt but I won’t cut her off. Any suggestions please? No children involved thankfully.

Hetty58 Fri 18-Dec-20 20:17:08

I would think that a mother would always want to help a child (grown up or not) whenever possible.

It certainly wouldn't have conditions attached (like 'agree with me, be nice to me', etc.)

I have major differences of opinions with a sibling. We just avoid the major subjects that we just can't agree on. I can't be bothered to argue.

It's truly amazing, though, that a person can have set ideas and deaf ears - despite all the proven facts. It just illustrates that if you close your mind - you can believe anything!

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 19:27:51

Lucca

Good. It has gone

?

Worrying that people don't understand different viruses or even the difference between viruses and bacteria.

Marydoll Fri 18-Dec-20 18:53:26

Hithere no thanks!

Hithere Fri 18-Dec-20 18:49:37

Marydoll
Come to the US ?

Lucca Fri 18-Dec-20 18:48:11

Good. It has gone

Marydoll Fri 18-Dec-20 16:55:23

I'm in despair because of Covid denial and anti vaxxers.
Where would we be, if everyone had those beliefs? ?

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 16:43:08

Just for your information, Covid unlike here, is under control in China, but hasn't magically disappeared as you state.
No it hasn't.
There are cases again in Australia, despite all their care.

If our government had taken the measures that China took it might be under control here, quizqueen

However, it's a balancing act between civil liberties and public health in the West.

Marydoll Fri 18-Dec-20 15:49:23

Quizqueen words fail me! I am astounded at your dismissive post!

I have family who work in Covid ICU and friends who have died from what you call this nasty strain of flu.
I'm so relieved, I can come out of shielding now that I know it's just flu.

Just for your information, Covid unlike here, is under control in China, but hasn't magically disappeared as you state.

MawBe Fri 18-Dec-20 15:19:39

A nasty strain of flu ?

Quizqueen where have you been for the last 9 months?
Out if interest I believe FaceBook, Instagram and other social media platforms have banned Covid denial or anti-vaxx posts.
I wonder if this falls into that category?

Lucca Fri 18-Dec-20 14:40:38

Quizqueen are you saying that COVID-19 is just a nasty strain of flu ? Or that China purposely started it ? Dear oh bloody dear.

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 14:33:53

Oh no - flu as well?
I suppose so, it's here in one form or another every year.

Is the flu vaccine tthe right one this year?

quizqueen Fri 18-Dec-20 14:29:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 14:21:04

I can't see any unpleasantness.

It's about the pandemic.

Anyway, the OP has long gone.

biba70 Fri 18-Dec-20 10:12:00

I am not arguing MawBe- you are. Your interpretation of the situation is as valid as mine, and vice versa. Had you accepted this from the start, and ignored my (iyo silly or whatever interpretation that there might be another added side to this story- that would have been it. (how do you spell 'possy'). The unpleasantness is all one sided.

MawBe Thu 17-Dec-20 23:40:36

“Come back to answer” - I don’t know where “acknowledge” came from - sorry!

lemongrove Thu 17-Dec-20 22:45:29

MawBe ??????????

MawBe Thu 17-Dec-20 22:39:22

You can argue all you like Biba, OP has not come acknowledge to answer your question, and in my opinion your Brexit obsession is entirely irrelevant in this case.
If you want to discuss the issue in general by all means, but start a new thread instead of piggy backing onto a different problem

biba70 Thu 17-Dec-20 22:26:01

The whole point MawBe, is that the OP, as a mother, may not assess the full reasons for her daughter's reaction. And my point, due to recent experiences, is that maybe other factors were at play. That is all- there is no Brexit rant here- only those who ranted in full denial.

Reel me in? No way, thanks. Dog - bone - indeed.

MawBe Thu 17-Dec-20 21:23:10

The OP said the job was lost to Covid, but this her own assessment - and my question 'are you sure no other major factor is involved' is relevant

Ahem, apart from the fact that OP is presumably the person who might know the facts behind her original post as opposed to Biba apparently knowing better, OP has not come back to answer her question so any further speculation is not only theoretical but also spurious.
However, as a vehicle for yet another Brexit rant........well, clearly fertile ground!

Lolo81 Thu 17-Dec-20 20:09:12

Whilst I agree that it is hugely sad for families to divide over political issues, and if I’m honest it’s never happened to me: I can see how it could happen.
There is an association for the minority of people who voted leave for more social than political reasons - immigration for example, which can easily (again for the minority) equate to outright racism - therefore if political rhetoric is being used to espouse and justify racism I do have friends who have distanced from older relatives as they will not entertain this. Said relatives are now telling all and sundry about the intolerant snowflakes who no longer talk to them because of voting differences, but that’s not the reason - the reason is that the relatives are racist and they don’t want their children subjected to it.

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 19:49:07

That must have been awful for your father GagaJo for his own father to stop talking to him because of the way he voted. Why on earth would anyone allow political differences to destroy family relationships.

I agree

Having been brought up in a family who had diverse political opinions, and, in fact still do, thank goodness they all still loved and respected each other.

Smileless2012 Thu 17-Dec-20 19:44:52

Your question to the OP as to whether Covid was the only reason her s.i.l. lost his job may well have been relevant, but your insistence on bringing Brexit into every discussion isn't and is becoming rather tedious.

That must have been awful for your father GagaJo for his own father to stop talking to him because of the way he voted. Why on earth would anyone allow political differences to destroy family relationships.

There's a huge difference between those who don't want to hear and those who having heard, disagree. It says a lot IMO about anyone who cannot see the difference.

anna7 Thu 17-Dec-20 19:44:24

What a load of rubbish. I find it difficult to believe anyone could stop speaking to a close member of family over a political difference of opinion. It is not only the older generation that voted for Brexit. In my own family, including my adult children, and my friends, different generations have voted differently as they are quite entitled to do. There might have been a few heated conversations but not one person has stopped speaking to anyone. Perhaps because we are all grown ups who accept other people may think differently to ourselves. We also realise that basically, everyone is a decent person even if they do feel differently about brexit. I would be ashamed of my children if they stopped speaking to a sibling because of a vote.

GagaJo Thu 17-Dec-20 18:49:52

I'm with you on that biba70. Having said that, my grandfather stopped speaking to my father years ago because he voted for Margaret Thatcher.

Also second your comment about irrelevance. There are a lot of ostriches on Gransnet, and social media in general.

biba70 Thu 17-Dec-20 18:44:35

Hithere

Mawbe
"What happened to “blood is thicker than water?"

It is no longer used as a blanket excuse to forgive whatever a relative does to you, including abuse

This, exactly. If adult children have discussed all the issues related to a major decision- and explained all the consequences and how it would affect them severely, destroy their hopes or dreams, put their job at risk, possibly affect access to life saving medicines, and a lot more ... and parents chose to ignore all this - and said adult children are now facing the very issues they warned against- no wonder the blood is running thin.

The OP said the job was lost to Covid, but this her own assessment - and my question 'are you sure no other major factor is involved' is relevant. And because I have been part of many discussions lately where exactly this was clearly expressed. The fact some of you don't want to hear this, is irrelevant.