Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone started Christmas nibbles, indulgences and other such loveliness yet?

(80 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 24-Dec-20 11:56:00

It's a bit early for a drink but it is Christmas Eve so as soon as I've had a bit of a tidy-up I'm going to have a little platter of tasty morsels, hors d'oeuvres, bits & bobs or whatever you want to call special bites.

I think I'll graze all day and not have proper meals, something I never do, and eventually have a G&T followed by wine.

Accompanied by Phil Spector's Christmas album.

tchsmile

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:22:34

I’ve unwrapped boxes of Ferrero Roche and Turkish delight for tonight ?

Franbern Sun 27-Dec-20 09:46:56

Alishka did you get any replies on fb re. the joint of meat?

Jaffacake2 Sun 27-Dec-20 08:07:56

Enjoyed a bag of homemade fudge last night watching the film The Guernsey literary society,really enjoyed both !
Usually have limited treats as seriously allergic to many foods including chocolate and wine sad

Arto1s Sun 27-Dec-20 00:22:57

I’m with you, Riverwalk

lemongrove Sat 26-Dec-20 21:11:52

Alishka you may get several replies all saying their joint has gone missing, you may have to threaten to cut it in half.?

Alishka Sat 26-Dec-20 18:41:21

Thanks sodapop . Rotten shame isn't it?

sodapop Fri 25-Dec-20 13:56:40

Just opened a parcel from one of my stepsons Phoenix and lo there was a tub of cheeselets in with my presents tchgrin

Hope someone is not without their Xmas meat Alishka but you have done all you can, hope you managed to get some sleep.

Alishka Fri 25-Dec-20 12:40:23

Well,I'm still preoccupied by the large fillet of beef in my freezer.
Brainwave woke me up about 3am - ask on our local Facebook Hub if anyone knows of anyone missing their Xmas meat?
So first to register with Facebook. So that took a while...
No replies as yet - who checks Faceache Xmas morning?
Do hope that I can reunite it with its owner.
Back to bed 4.30...

sodapop Fri 25-Dec-20 09:20:13

That's right Shysal anything pinched away from the table is more delicious.

Phoenix cheeselets/treelets I love 'em all. Sadly as I live in France no chance of getting to Morrison's. tchsad

shysal Fri 25-Dec-20 08:59:44

I have just filled and sampled my Pavlova! Delicious. Anything nibbled ahead of time is always more enjoyable, like a roast potato and pig in blanket while dishing up.
Enjoy all your treats today, healthy eating can wait until the new year.

Lilypops Thu 24-Dec-20 23:51:50

We tested the Christmas cake I had made today, a slice with a cuppa went down very well , Thought it best to taste it first before I offered anyone else a slice , Call it quality control !,?. And it was very nice

Witzend Thu 24-Dec-20 23:51:02

I must have made at least 8 dozen mince pies ? since the beginning of December - most of which have been scoffed by me and dh. Just a few half dozens have gone to elderly neighbours and dds.
Should add that they were all the little traditional ones, with thin pastry, but even so....

Nothing else - saving all the chocs and nuts for tomorrow and the lovely relaxed week to follow.

Alishka Thu 24-Dec-20 23:44:44

Oh dear! I had an Amazon delivery this morning - no address on the package, just a code. It was a LARGE fillet of beef. No note inside. Have emailed my family in the USA and it's not from them. Not from my bestie in Manchester either.Only other solution is that it's for a family in a road nearby, with whom I share a post code but I don't have their phone no.I'm so disabled now I can't walk that far even with my walker. And so it'll remain in my freezer until....?
Oh! and I no longer eat meat...
SODDIT!

Lexisgranny Thu 24-Dec-20 23:16:54

We have each had a delicious mince pie, together with three of the Christmas chocs each. Oddly enough though, my favourite today was eating the remaining duchesse potatoes from the saucepan, which were left over (quite by chance of course) when I had piped some for freezing! It must be some form of lock down lunacy.

HurdyGurdy Thu 24-Dec-20 23:05:12

Roses - "and soon I'll crack open the gaviscon"

That made me chuckle! I can relate to that

Katek Thu 24-Dec-20 23:01:26

We each had an M&S chocolate pine cone dessert this evening. Well, they come in sixes and there are only two of us so have to eat them before they go to waste........ don’t we?

Kate1949 Thu 24-Dec-20 21:45:22

We ordered five lovely cheeses from a farm. They arrived on Monday. We've had some tonight with crusty bread. Yum.

Blossoming Thu 24-Dec-20 20:56:01

I have a jar of Celebrations and a huge box of Lindor salted caramels hidden away. They may be broken into tonight ?

Millie22 Thu 24-Dec-20 20:16:34

We have eaten our Christmas day dessert tonight. After such a difficult year I think we all deserve some treats.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 24-Dec-20 18:59:14

This is my first ever Christmas Eve on my own, so it's the first one not cooking for the family so I treated myself to some very nice seafood for dinner along with a glass of Chablis.
I will be cooking Christmas dinner as usual and on Boxing Day.

Georgesgran Thu 24-Dec-20 18:52:21

All ready for the oven, courtesy of Sainsbury’s! Mostly prawns in various guises, but chicken satay on sticks, mozzarella sticks, duck spring rolls - the list goes on!!
A couple of glasses of Harvey’s (it’s a tradition) and I’m ready for The Day.
Both DD’s coming as DH’s Consultant says it’s important he sees family, when he can.

Hope to pop in tomorrow and read the GM thread. X

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Dec-20 18:49:29

Crispy duck for two nearly there, pancakes going into microwave, glass two of white done ?œ

travelsafar Thu 24-Dec-20 18:48:35

Thinking about having some oat crackers with boursin cheese and a few grapes. We've had no dinner today as DH not feeling 100% and gone off his food, i have made do with a small bowl of fruit but my tummy starting to rumble now. May have a small glass of sherry, the only time i drink is Christmas eve, and i love a small sherry. Just watched Carols from Kings and feeling calm and relaxed after such a tranquil program.

BlueSapphire Thu 24-Dec-20 18:43:01

DD has some bowls of Quality Street and chocolate coins out and I have been testing them.
Have already had two glasses of sherry.

Casdon Thu 24-Dec-20 18:37:24

Yes, one of the disadvantages of online food ordering is that you can’t control the sell by dates - we’ve just had dips and antipasti, salmon tagliatelle tonight. I haven’t started on the wine as yet, but my children have.