Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone started Christmas nibbles, indulgences and other such loveliness yet?

(79 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 24-Dec-20 11:56:00

It's a bit early for a drink but it is Christmas Eve so as soon as I've had a bit of a tidy-up I'm going to have a little platter of tasty morsels, hors d'oeuvres, bits & bobs or whatever you want to call special bites.

I think I'll graze all day and not have proper meals, something I never do, and eventually have a G&T followed by wine.

Accompanied by Phil Spector's Christmas album.

tchsmile

Tangerine Thu 24-Dec-20 11:56:54

Not yet. However, I may have some nibbles this evening.

Shandy57 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:58:58

I've been having my M&S Christmas log all week, delicious! I bought two.

Kate1949 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:02:22

Having a slice of Christmas pork pie for lunch tchwink

welbeck Thu 24-Dec-20 12:04:02

just finished a 450ml tub of high protein, low calorie ice cream for breakfast. well i went v early shopping and i don't have a freezer so i had to eat it. didn't i.

EllanVannin Thu 24-Dec-20 12:07:59

Probably a ham salad piled high with everything you can have with a salad including sliced oranges, then a cheese board.

Kseniya Thu 24-Dec-20 12:18:39

the holidays are just like that! a sense of feast and small snacks. have a great christmas!

Nanna58 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:22:40

Yes - in September!!!!?Which is why I shall be joining the ‘ I’m a pear’ diet thread!!!!

Marmight Thu 24-Dec-20 12:28:38

No. But I’ve just made some Stilton puffs which I saw on Nigel Slater’s programme last week. They smell delish. Pity I don’t like Stilton ?. Bit fiddly and the kitchen is covered in stray crumbs of cheese.

sodapop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:38:46

Started on the nuts and Bailey's, managed to keep my hands off the chocolate so far.

nanasam Thu 24-Dec-20 12:39:49

For weeks I've been saying 'no you can't have that, it's for Christmas'. I'm now saying 'eat what you like, we no longer have to cater for anyone on Boxing Day'. I'll add that we have a 3.5Kg turkey crown, 3.4Kg rib of beef and a whole leg of ham to feed 6 tomorrow - DD will be taking home more than they can possibly eat!

Roses Thu 24-Dec-20 12:43:46

Like Kate I've just had a wedge of pork pie and soon I'll crack open the gaviscon

Happy Christmas to you all and thanks for keeping me company this last terrible year

lemongrove Thu 24-Dec-20 12:59:01

nanasam ? We have put the beef and the ham into the freezer, the turkey crown will easily feed our six on the day.

We got into the pork pie last night, it was delish! Lunch was soup and a sarnie followed by a mince pie ( or two)
( made them a few days ago so they do need eating up)

DH doesn’t really eat chocs, and I can’t have them so you can guarantee we will be given several boxes of them on the day.

Anyway, whatever kind of a day you have, with family on Christmas Day, with your DH’s or on your own, am wishing you all the best day you can possibly make it, and a Happy New Year 2021 (it has to be better!)???

vampirequeen Thu 24-Dec-20 13:00:35

Yes we've started because we're feeling so sorry for ourselves.

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 13:28:32

Yes, we’ve started. We’ve got snow, so it seems rude not to start celebrating!

MawBe Thu 24-Dec-20 13:29:47

Umm - yes tchblush

Riverwalk Thu 24-Dec-20 13:35:26

What do you admit to Maw? tchwink

rockgran Thu 24-Dec-20 13:36:09

Just opened the Thornton's chocs. They won't last long!

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 13:37:32

I thought the top of the Christmas cake looked a bit scorched so I sliced it off before marzipanning.
After much testing, I decided that it's really quite edible

GillT57 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:41:29

Not yet, but as I am about to make some sausage rolls there will be some nibbling going on this afternoon.

Calendargirl Thu 24-Dec-20 13:42:12

DD in Australia sent us a lovely M&S hamper last Saturday.

Only the 2 of us, last year able to share it with DS and family.

So.....

have eaten the half dozen mince pies, one pack of smoked salmon, started on a ramekin of pate and some cheeses.

Have set aside the wine, mini Christmas cake and pudding, longer life cheeses and crackers and ham which will keep.

Determined not to waste anything, but no point leaving it all to the great day and being surfeited with food.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:44:22

DD is wrapping gifts in one end of kitchen, baby strapped in high chair and I am preparing the vegetables accompanied by a glass of champagne ?????

Riverwalk Thu 24-Dec-20 13:46:09

GrannyGravy13

DD is wrapping gifts in one end of kitchen, baby strapped in high chair and I am preparing the vegetables accompanied by a glass of champagne ?????

I'm glad to see that I'm not the first to hit the alcohol!

About to have a gin and tonic.tchsmile

Auntieflo Thu 24-Dec-20 13:48:42

Have just had crackers, cheese and pickle for lunch.
Later, we will cut the Christmas cake, as it has been a tradition to start it on Christmas Eve for years.

Niobe Thu 24-Dec-20 14:04:17

In the run up to the Big Day we have had
1 tub of Roses
1 tub of Quality Street
4 or5 boxes of mince pies
Some cheeses and crackers
Assorted nibbles

We still have
1 box of 6 mince pies
A variety of cheeses
I jar mini cheese stuffed peppers
Olives
A mini pudding and cream
The whole turkey dinner with all accompaniments
A trifle which I shall make tomorrow
Various salad ingredients

Think that should see the 2 of us through Christmas Day and Boxing Day! Merry Christmas to everyone!