Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ageing gracefully: how to say "no" without sounding like a wimp

(32 Posts)
Juliet27 Sat 26-Dec-20 23:56:58

As Kate said, arthritis pain can come and go and cold, damp and low air pressure can make it worse. Accuweather gives scores out of ten each day for arthritis risk which is handy for knowing whether to take a painkiller in advance.

Esspee Sat 26-Dec-20 23:41:16

Children, in my experience, see you as they remember you from their youth. BC (before COVID) I had a hard job convincing my elder son that popping over to Texas for a week was out of the question.
I feel you need to sit them down and explain you are in pain and cannot do a lot of the things you used to do. Be straight with them and consistent. Do not force yourself to do things to please others.
You might also want to check with your doctor if it is too late to go onto HRT. Lack of oestrogen is the cause of a lot of osteoarthritis.

Kate54 Sat 26-Dec-20 23:38:12

Test=rest

sue421 Sat 26-Dec-20 23:36:12

Oh dear but I understand. You probably need to be 'loudly subtle' in asking to sit in a higher chair, if expected to lift ask for help, if you need to sit just do it and say 'I need to sit a moment'. Really time to say 'I'd love to decorate etc but find I cant at the moment' These are your joints...you know what you can and cant do....and you need them to keep moving! People should understand, you are not whinging by mentioning you cant run around anymore. Please look after yourself.

Spinnaker Sat 26-Dec-20 23:32:02

Welcome ! You just have to stand your ground I'm afraid and repeatedly refuse to engage in any activity that causes you pain. If you say no often enough then the message will get through - but it has to come from you.

Kate54 Sat 26-Dec-20 23:29:09

Only by being honest. Adult children want us to be the super mums we always have been. It takes them a while to get the message. On the arthritis front, you may find it comes and goes. Fingers crossed for the going! Apart from that, test and turn down invitations when you have to and keep active when you can.

MandK Sat 26-Dec-20 23:20:28

I'm fairly new to the forum and hope my question is OK and hasn't been covered before. I am a fairly well preserved 63 year old. At least it seems I look that way!
However, I have recently started suffering from a very painful knee and back, and have been told by my GP it is probably arthritis. Until now I have been very active and am used to helping various relatives with decorating, shopping and odd jobs as well as enjoying going on long walks, joining my daughters in zumba classes etc. I now find these activities quite painful. I have quietly mentioned that I have started to be in pain, have told family I have had x rays and let them know the doctors verdict, but this does not seem to have sunk in. I don't want to come across as a "moaning minnie" or be a drag on people and I am embarrassed to refuse to help and to turn down invitations. My family don't seem to be aware that I cannot always do what I have until now and don't realise that I struggle to lift, carry, get up from low seats etc.
How can I get the message across firmly and clearly but without too much fuss?