Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ageing gracefully: how to say "no" without sounding like a wimp

(33 Posts)
MandK Sat 26-Dec-20 23:20:28

I'm fairly new to the forum and hope my question is OK and hasn't been covered before. I am a fairly well preserved 63 year old. At least it seems I look that way!
However, I have recently started suffering from a very painful knee and back, and have been told by my GP it is probably arthritis. Until now I have been very active and am used to helping various relatives with decorating, shopping and odd jobs as well as enjoying going on long walks, joining my daughters in zumba classes etc. I now find these activities quite painful. I have quietly mentioned that I have started to be in pain, have told family I have had x rays and let them know the doctors verdict, but this does not seem to have sunk in. I don't want to come across as a "moaning minnie" or be a drag on people and I am embarrassed to refuse to help and to turn down invitations. My family don't seem to be aware that I cannot always do what I have until now and don't realise that I struggle to lift, carry, get up from low seats etc.
How can I get the message across firmly and clearly but without too much fuss?

Witzend Tue 29-Dec-20 14:37:24

Just tell them. I’ve had no problems explaining to dds that at over 70 I just don’t have the same energy I had at 50, and a knee plays me up badly now and then, so that any activity involving any steep-ish downhill walking is Out with a capital O, ditto anything involving sitting or kneeling on the floor or grass. If it’s a picnic etc. I need a folding chair - which I’d take myself, except that they’ve permanently ‘borrowed’ all ours! ?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 29-Dec-20 14:25:57

Tell those who ask for help or invite you for a long walk that these activities are no longer possible (even if they are) because of your bad back and knee.

Eventually, it will sink in.

Try to get a proper diagnosis and in the meantime keep warm.

Being cold will aggravate the pain.

M0nica Tue 29-Dec-20 12:49:42

Well, having done a bit of decorating preparation this morning. I have told DD that wall papering (of one wall) will not start until 3.00pm because I need a sit down, She just agreed.

She knows that my stamina has decreased from my glory days when I could keep going all day like a duracell bunny.

Madwoman11 Tue 29-Dec-20 05:34:16

I'm mid 60s and much the same problem as you. I have had to slow down and go at my own pace.
I too have always been active and love walking. My doctor advised to keep as mobile as possible as muscles protect our joints, so I walk still but that's about it exercise wise. I also try to keep a healthy weight so my joints are under less pressure.
As others have said the weather can make pain of arthritis worse. There are lots of information about exercise erc for people like us. As for expectations from others you must be firm and look after yourself.

Jillybird Sun 27-Dec-20 16:49:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joesoap Sun 27-Dec-20 16:49:47

I sympathise with you having started with arthritis in my hip( soon to be replaced) and its now in both shoulders I have difficulty saying to people “ I can’t manage” this and that as I have always been independent and would like to continue that way but some days it isn’t possible just explain to people, they will understand. Carry on for as long as you can.

Jane10 Sun 27-Dec-20 16:19:43

ExD. I quite understand. My DH is very good but I find he somehow thinks he lives in a hotel where fairies do everything. However, if I ask him or point out what needs to be done he happily does it but it's the initiative that's missing. It is irritating always having to ask.

ExD Sun 27-Dec-20 14:57:31

That posted itself too soon
Feeling a bit stupid, and ready to apologise for being childish, I found when I got up he had completely taken note and he's come up to scratch and now can't do enough for me.
Sometimes a big fuss can work wonders rather the softly softly "sit him down and explain" approach.

Nannarose Sun 27-Dec-20 14:54:17

Oh, I have been there! Tell them, possibly in a letter, or at a quiet time, when it can sink on. Let them know it makes you a bit sad. Also tell them that you will be keeping on doing whatever you can, safely.
Exercises that strengthen your core are wonderful - think pilates / yoga / tai chi instead of zumba. Think cycling instead of walking (not always, it does depend). And do consider swimming & aquafit when you can.
Consider a private physiotherapy appintment:
www.csp.org.uk/public-patient/find-physiotherapist/physio2u
They will be able to offer sensible, qualified advice. My own NHS Trust has a great physio service that has operated by phone / zoom over lockdown, but it is patchy elsewhere.

My advice is to try to find the balance between keeping moving, keeping active and engaged, and 'doing too much'. You can find it, although there will be hiccups along the way.
And do make space to let your kids be sad as well - I know that mine 'mourn' their mountain walking mum, and I mourned my dancing mum.

ExD Sun 27-Dec-20 14:53:01

My dear husband has been the most difficult to convince I'm not the super-wife of past years, and this Christmas has been the worst. I don't know why I did it, but I have done every single thing this year whilst he literally sat in his chair and watched me.
Finally I lost it and told him bluntly that just because there was only the two of us for lunch didn't mean any less work and took myself off to bed in a huff

timetogo2016 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:40:56

Just tell them straight that you are not up to it.
That`s the worst thing about pain,you can`t see it, if you had a scar / broken limb people take it in and understand.

lemongrove Sun 27-Dec-20 14:29:31

Esspee

Children, in my experience, see you as they remember you from their youth. BC (before COVID) I had a hard job convincing my elder son that popping over to Texas for a week was out of the question.
I feel you need to sit them down and explain you are in pain and cannot do a lot of the things you used to do. Be straight with them and consistent. Do not force yourself to do things to please others.
You might also want to check with your doctor if it is too late to go onto HRT. Lack of oestrogen is the cause of a lot of osteoarthritis.

Good post Esspee??

Cabbie21 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:23:00

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knee some years ago. I was advised to stay on HRT, which I did for a number of years, and to take glucosamine and chrondoitine supplements, which I still do. They are doing a good job of keeping the arthritis at bay, though it flares up in different parts of the body from time to time: hands, wrists, feet, hips. I can always tell when the air pressure is changing.
People’s experiences vary: there is no blueprint. Likewise there is no shame in saying what you can or cannot do, whether you can offer help, or need help yourself.

Marydoll Sun 27-Dec-20 14:22:53

Lexisgranny, it was my heart consultant, shocked that I hadn't told my family how unwell I was, who insisted I spoke to my children. However, my children were really upset initially, they couldn't quite bring themselves to ask the relevant questions.
For the first time in forty three years, I asked my children to help with Christmas dinner. I had a great time and so did they, I was neither tired nor grumpy! ?

Jane10 Sun 27-Dec-20 14:09:18

Get a good stick (even if you don't need one yet!) and let them see you with it. It's a powerful non verbal cue.

Theoddbird Sun 27-Dec-20 13:59:45

Have you thought about exercises and gently weights to build up muscle to help support your joints? With doctor's permission of course. I have built up my upper body strength gradually...I am nearly 70 I have arthritis in my hands and have really improved them with exercises the doctor gave me to do

Nanna58 Sun 27-Dec-20 13:53:25

I have Psoriatc Arthritis and I know how hard it is to ask for help or accept limitations, I do it but as little as possible. My family understand this is how I feel , but wish I accepted more help. DGS doesn’t, when he said let’s run up a hill , and I said “ Don’t think I can pet, I’m 62 and have Arthritis “ He looked at me long and hard then shook his head and “ stop joking me Nan” !!!!??

Viridian Sun 27-Dec-20 13:45:37

For me the breakthrough came when I acknowledged to myself that I needed help and got a stick (now crutches). Made such a difference but it's a challenge accepting our limitations. Well, it was for me!!!

Lexisgranny Sun 27-Dec-20 13:17:23

Marydoll I agree with you entirely, our children find it difficult to accept.

I do remember small acts of kindness over the years such as the colleague who at lunch time, used to reach over and quietly remove my yoghurt foil top, knowing that I struggled with it. No comment, no fuss, just did it. It’s so hard to admit that you need help, but I find it staggering to realise that this is something that I have lived with for more than half my life.

Madgran77 Sun 27-Dec-20 13:16:15

Stare clearly what you can and cannot do linked to your arthritis and suggest alternatives that you can eg" I will have to say No to Zumba because of my arthritic knee but how about we on Thursday so we can catch up? "

M0nica Sun 27-Dec-20 13:09:54

Just say 'I am sorry I can no longer do that (whatever it may be) because of my arthritis' and then walk away and not do it.

MandK Sun 27-Dec-20 13:01:28

Thanks so much for wise and helpful responses. Its helpful to hear your experiences and insights. I will follow the advice.

Viridian Sun 27-Dec-20 08:21:17

Hello MandK, I'm a 'young' 67, previously with boundless energy and ability, but am awaiting two hip replacements so my life has changed massively. I have two lovely sons and daughters-in-law but find they only comprehend my pain when I'm exact about my needs, so now I say I must sit in the back seat of their cars (less agony than the front) and that I can walk this far but no further. The other day I went for a meal with one son and grandson. I knew the bistro seating was too low, so asked the waitress for a high stool, which helped a lot. It means putting your needs first, which I don't enjoy, but I definitely find that hinting doesn't work! Pm me if you want any more tips - I've had a knee replacement and have a very sore back too.

Marydoll Sun 27-Dec-20 01:09:58

Lexisgranny, we could be twins. Same scenario for me, same timescale. I also have both RA and osteoarthritis. I totally agree with your post, that a proper diagnosis is needed.
I covered up a lot, especially at work. I was also embarrassed to ask for help and consequently I didn't do myself any favours, by not telling my children nor colleagues how unwell I was, for fear of upsetting them.
Our children find it hard to accept that we are ageing and no longer supermums.
You really have to be honest.

Lexisgranny Sun 27-Dec-20 00:08:54

I first developed Rheumatoid Arthritis 40 years ago in my late 30s. I also have osteoarthritis.

Firstly I would suggest that you get a proper diagnosis, “probably” isn’t good enough. Ask to be referred to an occupational therapist and a physiotherapist, both of whom should be able to advise you on ways of making your day to day life a little easier. The correct exercises are essential. As Kate54 says, you may find it comes and goes, but I was strongly advised that during a “fallow” period I should not put extra strain on my joints which might damage them.

In my case, it was only when my knuckle joints began to swell that others really noticed that something was wrong. I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but I found that the only people who really understand arthritis are those who have experienced it.

I think you will have to come to terms with it yourself and accept that whereas others sympathise with a short term illness, quite often something long term, and often relatively invisible is forgotten after a while. Many think of it as a “bit of arthritis that people get as they are getting older”, and do not realise the pain and limitations that it brings.

As for helping people etc, I should drop into casual conversation that unfortunately as a result of your recent diagnosis you will have to limit/give up some of the activities you have previously enjoyed. Don’t announce it as doom and gloom, just a firm statement of fact.

I hope this hasn’t sounded too harsh, but as you can imagine, over the years, including operations on hands, feet and elbows, I have experienced most scenarios! Good luck.