Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To say something or keep quiet, that is the question

(57 Posts)
Uptodate Mon 28-Dec-20 04:24:07

My 2yr old GD is showing what I think may be signs of autism. I'm not claiming to be any type of expert on the subject but I definitely can see there is a problem. I've never heard her say a word although her parents say she does occasionally try to say the odd word. Also I've noticed she doesn't really interact with you or respond very well when you call her. In all other ways she seems absolutely fine, she eats well, is out of nappies, understands everything you say to her etc. My
dilemma is that her parents have not said a word about this and I'm wondering if they know there's a problem, she's their 1st child. Should I say something or not? I'm not particularly close to my DIL and I know if I mention it to my son he will say something to her which I'm pretty sure won't go down to well. However I do think that if my GD needs extra help then surely the sooner the better, or do I keep my nose out and let them get on with it?

OceanMama Mon 28-Dec-20 10:55:01

A label needs to serve a purpose. Support resourcing aside, the label can be helpful to the child, especially as they get older. It gives them the gift of understanding why they feel differences or struggle with certain things. That understanding can be very beneficial for their mental health and self image which can be hard areas for autistic people. Autism also comes with strengths. I think it's important to let autistic people know this and press into their own strengths, as well as telling them about well known autistic people and what they have given to the world.

EllanVannin Mon 28-Dec-20 10:59:03

I don't think anyone would look for autism under the age of 4/5.

Nezumi65 Mon 28-Dec-20 11:02:14

My son doesn’t really have any understanding of his diagnosis and tbh autism isn’t a massively helpful diagnosis for him now. But it was certainly helpful to access resources when younger and was helpful to me when he was younger.

My point really is that no-one is just trying to needlessly label a child and if you refuse to allow assessment for a diagnosis then the problems don’t go away. They just remain less understood by others. I think if people fit a diagnosis there is a lot of evidence that it is helpful for them to have it - either in terms of their own understanding of themselves (as oceanmama describes) or other people’s understanding of them.

People worry about misdiagnosis but I think that is a lot less common than delayed diagnosis

Nezumi65 Mon 28-Dec-20 11:02:36

My son was diagnosed at 2 Ellan.

Nezumi65 Mon 28-Dec-20 11:03:07

I know a lot of kids diagnosed at 2/3.

ElaineI Mon 28-Dec-20 14:28:38

2 is very young as it could be normal but just note things down and keep a watchful eye. Don't say anything unless they mention it. DD2's friend has a son same age as DGS2 (2 ½) and this child is not speaking very well but making high pitched noises. He is good at climbing and balancing and attends a forest nursery. DD2 is concerned as she works with under 12's and has studied autism but is not saying anything to her friend at the moment but will if the friend asks her. The friend is a bit worried because DGS2 chatters non stop, is very friendly and adventurous and communicates with other children of all ages but then they are all different and DGS2 would probably fall off a plank connecting 2 tree stumps whereas his little friend can happily negotiate this.