Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Banking without a mobile phone - is it possible?

(68 Posts)
boheminan Mon 28-Dec-20 20:36:05

For personal reasons I don't have and don't want a mobile phone, but I do bank online. My bank is now insisting I give them my (non-existent) mobile phone number for security reasons. They used to contact me on my landline but no longer will do this.

Does anyone on GN use an online banking service that accepts a landline number for security?

I used to use my local bank branch until it closed last year, so I went online to bank, now it feels like I'm being pressurised to bank using a mobile phone - surely I can't be the only person in the country that doesn't have one shock

Marydoll Fri 01-Jan-21 10:14:14

Daftbag, what would you do if you needed medical help?

Elegran Fri 01-Jan-21 10:08:58

Not even a landline, Daftbag ? So you are not able to do telephone banking at all , let alone use a mobile to receive one-off codes?

Daftbag1 Thu 31-Dec-20 17:31:02

I don't h ave any phone!

hugshelp Wed 30-Dec-20 14:10:58

that's good to know elegran thanks

Elegran Wed 30-Dec-20 10:37:15

hugshelp The Bank of Scotland phone you on a landline and speak the code to you. (I think it is done with recorded numbers, as it sounds robotic, like the old speaking clock, but you don't have to see it)

joysutty Wed 30-Dec-20 09:26:35

On my husband's internet Banking account he has the choice/option of landline or mobile. Go into your personal Info. section where name, address etc. is and you should see

hugshelp Tue 29-Dec-20 21:46:56

I had to set up email verification as I cannot read codes on mobile phones. I hope my bank doesn't stop this facility as sight impaired people struggle enough with reading on a pc screen never mind a mobile phone.

SynchroSwimmer Tue 29-Dec-20 21:30:02

Similar problem here, Nationwide want to text a code to my brick £10 mobile.....but there is mostly no mobile reception here.
So you progress through a big transaction online - but at the final hurdle can’t make the actual payment - without a security code.

Sometimes the security codes come through 3 days after you needed them...?

Nicegranny Tue 29-Dec-20 18:32:59

It’s really easy banking with a mobile phone and you can do things instantly. If your bank tracks unusual activity they contact you with codes that only you can see. It’s never been a problem just don’t use unsecured network’s.

Teacheranne Tue 29-Dec-20 15:36:31

lemsip

I don't use my mobile for banking!! It is used to receive the text from bank to access my account online by laptop!

Good point! What I mean is that I have not downloaded the bank app onto my phone so cannot do more direct banking such as money transfers or payments on my phone. In part it is because I prefer the bigger screen and keyboard on my iPad so make fewer typing errors!

Hellogirl1 Tue 29-Dec-20 15:31:00

Lloyds asked me for my mobile number, but were perfectly OK with me not having one.

Missedout Tue 29-Dec-20 15:12:32

My bank is now insisting I give them my (non-existent) mobile phone number for security reasons.

These security reasons are that mobiles are more secure than landlines. If someone else spends time in your house and you leave your laptop around and keep your passwords in a little black book in the drawer, then the One Time Password is the last step in protecting your account. Your landline does not need fingerprint, facial recognition or a password for someone to answer it or read a text and that provides the final step in providing access to your account.

Anyone who has different carers regularly coming to the house or living with unscrupulous relatives could well be at risk. We were burgled, they opened the lid of my laptop but couldn't get any further. I don't think they could have access to my accounts and my mobile phone was with me.

I agree that banks could do a lot more for those who are increasingly excluded from the digital world but they also must keep our accounts secure.

Joesoap Tue 29-Dec-20 14:55:48

We dont have a land line, so hard luck if the ask us for one, they will have to do with our mobiles I am afraid.

rockgran Tue 29-Dec-20 14:25:49

I agree that we shouldn't have to change our phone habits to suit the bank (and other establishments) but the fact remains that we are at a disadvantage if we don't embrace the changes. We have reluctantly downloaded the mobile app but actually it does make life a lot easier.

petra Tue 29-Dec-20 14:17:48

Pammie
You say its all getting so complicated
That's because the scammers technology is getting better and better.
My stepdaughter worked in bank security. You would be amazed at the steps the banks go through to try and stop them.

varian Tue 29-Dec-20 14:01:56

My OH recently had a problem trying to make a purchase on a credit card he's used many times, often for larger purchases. The bank wanted to send an OTP (one time password) to his mobile phone but he does not use one. They refused to send it to our landline.

When he phoned to complain he explained that we live in a very rural area where it is seldom possible to get a mobile phone signal, that we were elderly, could not go to shops and were trying to purchase food from a supermarket before Christmas.

There was no apology and no suggestion as to how this problem could be solved.

Nannarose Tue 29-Dec-20 13:52:36

The problem is not, for most of us, doing the actual banking - the Co-op will verify by email.
It is with buying stuff on-line when whoever is processing the transaction demands a mobile number, and there is no facility for asking them to use the landline or email.
I have been told to ring and ask for a 'white out' on security for a set amount of time. I haven't found out what would happen if, in that window of time, my account was scammed. I know you can ask for it to be as little as 15 minutes.
For historical reasons, I have 3 credit cards, and usually find that one of them lets me do a transaction without checking. I had intended to 'rationalise' them, but they are proving useful!

rowyn Tue 29-Dec-20 13:45:22

If specki4eyes looks back she will see there are ways of verifying your identity/account without the use of a mobile number.
I have a smartphone but the less people who know the number the better, as far as I'm concerned. It's much easier to deal with spam/scams on a p.c. -or , rather, perhaps I should say less difficult.

boheminan Tue 29-Dec-20 13:42:19

specki4eyes The mobile signal is pretty non-existent here and I'm loath to have to buy a useless mobile phone just so the bank can send me messages occasionally. Also there must be others out there who can't use a mobile for various reasons. A lot of people can't afford to buy/run one.

I question why landlines are being phased out in such a stealthy manner in favour of mobiles, which not everyone has access to.

Branches are closing - so customers have lost face-to-face human contact, firstly being forced to use computers and now mobile phones. Our choices are being taken away in the name of faceless security.

Elegran Tue 29-Dec-20 13:07:24

But some banks will send you the same one-off verification by landline. Same security.

specki4eyes Tue 29-Dec-20 12:55:23

The reason you need a mobile phone for online banking is so that during a transaction, they can send you a one-off verification code by sms. It is for your security and for the security of your account. Get a mobile phone for goodness sake!

Foxyferret Tue 29-Dec-20 12:36:53

Sashabel, I’m with the Halifax and also pay cheques in using my iPad. It’s great, you just take a photo of the cheque and it goes straight into your account. So useful when you don’t have a smart phone.

Foxyferret Tue 29-Dec-20 12:32:11

Slightly off piste here but I have an ancient nokia. I was given an echo dot for Xmas and in order to set it up they send you a link over the phone. Of course my phone couldn’t cope with that. I went on Amazon chat and very helpful guy took the serial number of the dot and then told me how to set it up from there. I was beginning to think I would have to get a smart phone just to use Alexa. The dot is now up and running so you don’t need a smart phone to set it up.(just in case anyone else got one for Xmas and hasn’t got a iPhone)

Baggs Tue 29-Dec-20 12:18:40

So now Ive started getting "promotional" emails to Mr Riggie from his bank!

Riggie, you can unsubscribe from those.

nipsmum Tue 29-Dec-20 12:13:12

I don't have a mobile phone but I refuse to do online banking.