Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Banking without a mobile phone - is it possible?

(67 Posts)
boheminan Mon 28-Dec-20 20:36:05

For personal reasons I don't have and don't want a mobile phone, but I do bank online. My bank is now insisting I give them my (non-existent) mobile phone number for security reasons. They used to contact me on my landline but no longer will do this.

Does anyone on GN use an online banking service that accepts a landline number for security?

I used to use my local bank branch until it closed last year, so I went online to bank, now it feels like I'm being pressurised to bank using a mobile phone - surely I can't be the only person in the country that doesn't have one shock

NotSpaghetti Mon 28-Dec-20 20:39:07

Have you put this issue in writing to them?
I wonder if the info has actually got through to someone who knows something? There must be at least several thousands of people without a mobile.

Elegran Mon 28-Dec-20 21:27:51

Phone their help line to ask what to do. There is probably some work-around they can use.

The Bank of Scotland accepts a landline as well as a mobile number for contacting you when you need a one-off security number for any reason.

lemsip Mon 28-Dec-20 21:31:54

I have a mobile phone that I don't use the internet on, its just a basic phone so I have text from bank to access my bank account on my laptop!

Casdon Mon 28-Dec-20 21:33:09

With the majority of banks I think you’ll find it difficult without a mobile, because they text you with the security code for you to put into your authorisation when you’re buying something online?

grandMattie Mon 28-Dec-20 21:40:38

I have a “dumb” phone. It only does phone calls! The bank is happy with that. It cost me about £12 and I put £10 on my card every year or so... it’s useful to have when I go out alone.

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 22:28:36

We are with the Halifax and they phone our landline. In fact the sent a code to our landline today.

Deedaa Mon 28-Dec-20 22:37:09

I'm with Nationwide and I don't know if they've got my phone number. If they have it may well be the wrong one as I've changed it a couple of times.

Callistemon Mon 28-Dec-20 22:45:34

Casdon

With the majority of banks I think you’ll find it difficult without a mobile, because they text you with the security code for you to put into your authorisation when you’re buying something online?

I haven't registered one and they phone and ask you to read out the number or key in the number on the landline phone.

Callistemon Mon 28-Dec-20 22:46:48

Ie the number on the screen of whatever device you're using

Teacheranne Mon 28-Dec-20 22:49:38

I don’t use my mobile for banking, I stick to my iPad when at home. Just don’t fancy carrying banking access around with me - silly I know. But I do have my phone registered with my bank as they sent me pass codes whenever I set up new transactions and for some other reasons as well. I don’t know how I would get the codes any other way, can you get them via a landline?

lemsip Mon 28-Dec-20 23:05:52

I don't use my mobile for banking!! It is used to receive the text from bank to access my account online by laptop!

Marydoll Mon 28-Dec-20 23:47:13

I don't use my mobile for banking transactions, but do use it to receive the access code to log in to online banking on my PC.

It works the opposite way with my landline. I'm given my access code on my PC, when I log in to online banking, the bank automatically phones my landline, then I key in the access code on my landline handset to confirm the transaction.

It hardly takes any time and well worth it to prevent fraud.

Chestnut Tue 29-Dec-20 00:00:33

Barclays doesn't contact me through my phone for online banking. I have a pin reader (kept at home). You insert your card (same as in a shop) and enter your pin. They then send you a code to the pin reader and you enter that online. Don't ask me how it works, I have always wondered!

Spangler Tue 29-Dec-20 00:12:45

boheminan Mon 28-Dec-20 20:36:05
For personal reasons I don't have and don't want a mobile phone, but I do bank online. My bank is now insisting I give them my (non-existent) mobile phone number for security reasons. They used to contact me on my landline but no longer will do this.

This attitude never ceases to amaze me. When my new Barclaycard arrived it had tap & go technology on it. I called Barclaycard and said that I didn't want tap and go. They told me that there wasn't a choice. I argued that for fifty years my Barclaycard didn't have tap & go, it cut no ice. NatWest gave me a credit card without tap & go. Despite Barclaycard's reassurance of the card's safety, I'm no longer their customer.

Have you ever shopped in The Range? The one closest to us has an in-store cafe. I was asked to scan a big square shape bar code as one of their covid19 wotsits. "How do I do that?" I asked, "with your phone," I was told, accompanied by a look that asked if I was from another planet. "I don't have a phone," I explained, all that got was a shoulder shrug, in the end I left the cafe. At the check out there was no Covid restrictive practice, go figure that one.
Bohemian, tell them to take a hike, you are the customer and don't let them forget it.

Alishka Tue 29-Dec-20 00:16:39

Chestnut

Barclays doesn't contact me through my phone for online banking. I have a pin reader (kept at home). You insert your card (same as in a shop) and enter your pin. They then send you a code to the pin reader and you enter that online. Don't ask me how it works, I have always wondered!

Same here.

NotAGran55 Tue 29-Dec-20 07:18:05

We use a pin reader for our private and business accounts at HSBC Boheminan
We don’t have a landline in the house so can’t help with that I’m afraid.

kittylester Tue 29-Dec-20 07:38:14

We use Lloyd's who use our landline for authentification purposes. Our mobiles don't work in the house.

Calendargirl Tue 29-Dec-20 07:59:45

I had a really old mobile which has recently conked out. Doesn’t bother me, DH and I share his smartphone, and I use his mobile number if I have to give one.

Caused a hiccup with a building society account as they said our separate accounts couldn’t share a number, but they relented, warning me it may change in the future.

Really must get myself my own phone, but at the moment hardly go anywhere so doesn’t seem a priority.

PollyDolly Tue 29-Dec-20 08:05:42

I also bank with the Halifax and I can choose which number they contact me on when I'm setting up a transaction via online banking, it's a security check and I welcome it to be honest.
Personally, I would not be without my mobile phone, we have a cordless landline phone and when the power goes off it's useless so the mobile is great backup in case of emergency!

boheminan Tue 29-Dec-20 09:16:36

Thanks for all your help. Mobile signal is bad/non existent here, which is part of the problem, but I feel uneasy that I'm being pushed in a direction I don't want to go in.

I'll contact Halifax and see if I can join them - they're one of the few banks that still have a branch in town too.

Sparkle I agree with everything you say (I have no idea what 'The Range' is - sounds pretty awful though)

silversurf Tue 29-Dec-20 09:40:36

My landline has a call blocker. It won’t accept automatic calls and mucks up the phone if I get one, I have to unplug the phone and reset it.
I have a very basic PAYE mobile, which I use for emergencies and now receiving banking security codes.

Chino Tue 29-Dec-20 09:45:10

I bank with Lloyds and wanted to pay a new recipient recently, the bank needed me to give them a code to confirm this. I was given the option of them phoning me on either my mobile or landline so no pressure from them

Molly10 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:46:05

Boheminan there will be a work around for this. Some banks use card readers which you keep at home. If your bank is none cooperative in resolving this then there are others out there only too willing to help. GL

BluePizzaWalking Tue 29-Dec-20 10:08:16

Yes same as some others Lloyd's bank gives you the choice of a landline or mobile and I always choose my landline. I use our desktop PC for banking. For Nationwide we have a little card reader they gave us in branch, you insert your bank card and it generates a code that you type in to the PC, no need for mobile or landline.
Altough I do use my mobile a lot I agree with others that I don't want to be carrying my banking details around with me everywhere. I am also not keen on contact less payments and no you have to remember to ask for a receipt as you pay as a lot of places don't offer one, no wonder people loose track of their spending.