Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are you doing today?

(154 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 01-Jan-21 08:33:55

I know we don't have many choices but I'm trying to get the new year off to a dynamic start hmm

I've been a bit lazy of late, to put it mildly, so trying to remedy that and not have too many Groundhog Days.

I'm having a second coffee whilst I plan my day!

Greenfinch Mon 04-Jan-21 16:22:17

Helping grandchildren with their remote schooling and learning a lot myself. They are 13 year old twins attending different schools so I am feeling much safer and happier with them being at home.

Cabbie21 Mon 04-Jan-21 12:19:37

Took the decorations down and had a good clean up of that area. Also moved out our two armchairs and side tables where a huge mess had gathered. Disentangled a load of cables. Did a load of washing. Was planning a walk with DD but she is waiting in for a call back from her GP. Lunch now. I may or may not finish the living room today, but there’s not too much daylight left by mid afternoon.
Tonight my zoom choir resumes. Tomorrow I resume my voluntary work, so I will get back into a sort of routine,

felice Mon 04-Jan-21 12:07:58

Back to normal lock-down week here, DGS at school, DD and SIL at work, Dog downstairs with Gran sleeping in his chair until DGS gets home from School.
House fine as I did my Hogmanay deep clean, will take the tree down tomorrow with DGS and that's about it.
Grey and very cold here so will wrap up warm for the school walk.

tanith Mon 04-Jan-21 12:07:56

?

I’ve been out for a very cold blowy walk not many people out and about and I don’t blame them but I have to go out of the house at least once a day. I’ve got my book incidentally called Family Holiday, ? that’s a joke when’s that going to happen again. I have cross stitch which I’m now leaving on the kitchen table ready for whenever I’m in the mood. I’ll opi up and make the now aired bed and shut the windows as it’s blowing a hooley now. I’ve got a beef stew with dumplings out of the freezer for dinner tonight. That’s my day will watch some tv later.

Marmight Mon 04-Jan-21 12:05:12

Not a lot. Up late after a sleepless night and now wrestling with a parcel for Australia. Sending DD 2 paintings for her birthday and trying to protect them with bubble wrap and cardboard. As fast as I tape one end the other comes unstuck. Can’t find the big jiffy bag I thought I had and the air is blue. The travelling PO only visits once a week on Tuesdays so I’ll have to find a solution ?

Katephysio Mon 04-Jan-21 11:56:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:54:04

Well he seems to be feeling better than me that’s for sure, he’s just trooped out again with DH. He must be empty soon!

Still, a good tip if your dog is constipated!!

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 11:52:32

Been to give an armful of blood, changed the bed, gave the shower a really good clean. There is a pile of washing on the floor, some in the machine - thank goodness I don't just have a dolly tub!

Riverwalk Mon 04-Jan-21 11:49:00

Hope your dog is feeling OK Whitewave!

Earlier I made quick dash to the post office to pick up a parcel and had intended to then try and have at least 30 minutes walk but the wind and rain came so I scurried home.

A day of domestic chores looms large - depending on the weather.

Iam64 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:40:28

We walked the reservoir and removed the decorations on the tree we had decorated to commemorate one of our dogs, who died in the summer. Its a great local tradition, to decorate trees around our reservoir to commemorate loved ones, or just to make the place look festive.
I'm about to get busy on line with various things that must be paid or set up. (mostly to do with That Puppy)
Then I will start cleaning the house as I took the decs down yesterday. Its a first for me not to wait till 12th night but nothing feels as normal as I wish it was.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:00:05

Well I caught the dog woofing down bird suet pellets yesterday, so I was out walking at 2am, 4am and 7.30 am?.this morning.

I have changed the bed and put the washing on, cleaned a glass pendant light fitting, hoovered the sofa and chairs and changed around the cushions. Hoovered through the sitting room and flicked a duster around.

I am now feeling very jaded so decided to do nothing.

timetogo2016 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:45:06

Going for a long walk where there are stags and deer and lots of wildlife along the side of a reservoir.

Esspee Mon 04-Jan-21 10:44:38

Making a start on my income tax. ?

That’s after I finish this cuppa, and clean the bathroom, oh and I have a load of washing.
It is such a glorious day perhaps I should get a walk in first?

narelle222 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:37:48

Not doing much here in Australia as we have very hot weather and a cyclone looming. Don't mind the rain as it cleans the streets but the wind can be so damaging so windows are 'boarded up'. Light the candles and wait for the cyclone to pass.
We are very fortunate to have COVID almost under control and now used to 'shutting down' when a new case is discovered. With only 900 deaths across all States I am thankful for the rigid 'shut down' imposed on us when the need be. To those in UK - I send you a prayer every day. Take care all.

Berylsgranny Sun 03-Jan-21 10:52:43

Not a lot! DH recovering from a cold. So far I've ironed and tidied up and DH resting on settee. It's too cold to go for a walk. Would have loved to have seen GC but that's not possible at the moment. Going to be a long day. sad

Riverwalk Sun 03-Jan-21 10:43:43

So far I've done nothing apart from watch Andrew Marr and faff about on the laptop.

My plan for a dynamic start to the new year hasn't quite gone to plan!

But the day is young smile

Lettice Sat 02-Jan-21 18:36:09

Well, it's tea-time now, so no point in getting dressed. Have enjoyed pottering, reading, talking to my sister on 'phone and admiring the snow from my window. It's been a good day.

cornishpatsy Sat 02-Jan-21 16:22:37

I am watching far too much TV, back to back Come Dine With Me.

grannyactivist Sat 02-Jan-21 15:51:58

I’m tidying and cleaning my bedroom, something I do to relieve stress, but also because it really needs it! For the first time ever I’m not looking forward to being properly back at work on Monday. Usually I love my job, but I’m struggling a bit at the moment with so many clients being physically and/or mentally ill. So, I’m ‘cleaning’ the stress away. ???

GagaJo Sat 02-Jan-21 15:49:44

Ooooohhhhh I didn't need that suggestion Riverwalk. Creepy! It IS an old monistary. Lots of oil paintings of long dead monks etc.

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jan-21 15:38:04

DH and I have taken down tree and removed all decorations. We had a 4ft real tree and he’d obviously read something because out came an old sheet, tree carefully lifted, wrapped in sheet and carried outside, minimum mess! I’ve vacuumed, dusted, checked the freezer contents and had a very late breakfast. Settled down with paper, half watching football on the TV. It’s nearly 4pm, gloomy and chilly so tomorrow’s walk will have to be two circuits now.

SuzannahM Sat 02-Jan-21 14:42:10

We've just got home after a two hour walk across the heath to a neighbouring village and back. We took smoked salmon and cream cheese croissants (using up the last of the Christmas goodies!) and bought some take away coffee in the village. Then sat on a bench on the heath at the top of a hill to have a picnic in the sunshine. Absolute bliss.

The furthest we have been from home in about six months. It was lovely to see people wandering around, doing their shopping, having a chat, but all mask wearing and doing their best to distance themselves from others. It was the most 'normal' we've felt in quite a few months, so we're doing it again tomorrow. Weather permitting.

Riverwalk Sat 02-Jan-21 14:31:01

GagaJo

We WERE in Verbier Riverwalk but returned to school when the infection rate went up.

3 of us in a big school. Rattling around!

Isolated in all that snow and mountains - like The Shining shock

GagaJo Sat 02-Jan-21 14:24:14

We WERE in Verbier Riverwalk but returned to school when the infection rate went up.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 13:48:51

Gardening this morning, and more gardening in a minute!
There’s still plenty to do out there, even in Winter and it’s fresh air and exercise.Lovely to see the Spring bulbs shooting up and the first snowdrops showing.