Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help. How do I challenge an excessive water bill?

(42 Posts)
helgawills Fri 08-Jan-21 10:14:34

Talking about high water bills, I did several surveys from Severn Trent Water through the year, and each time they asked about the amount we paid for our water. They are planning to implement some improvements, ie safe swimming areas near waterways, I guess to reduce water use for paddling pools, and illustrated increase on typical bills, ie £2 per month. All the illustrated bills were under £400 a year, ours is £427. We don't have a meter and there's only 2 of us. A long time ago, a family with 9 children lived in the property. I was going to wait for next bill and then challenge the cost. How much should I expect to pay?

elleks Fri 08-Jan-21 10:10:14

We had this; the water board contacted us because our usage had doubled (and only the 2 of us here) and it turned out we had a leak at the front of the property, just inside the boundary line.

Calendargirl Fri 08-Jan-21 08:01:08

So happy we don’t have water meters

If everyone had a water meter, there might be less waste, see previous post by Gagajo.

We pay for the gas and electricity we all use as individual households, why is water any different?

GagaJo Thu 07-Jan-21 23:42:08

One of my neighbours has a leak. It runs out of their garden, down the street, past my house. It has been going on for years. Last summer, I got sick of it. It carries rubbish with it, which often gets stuck in front of my house. I complained to Northumbrian Water and they went out, checked it wasn't a leak that was their responsibility (it wasn't) and contacted me to say there was nothing they could do about it.

I assume the house was on water rates, rather than a meter because the owner has lived there for many years. All that wasted water.

Oldbat1 Thu 07-Jan-21 20:53:39

We had this. Water company reduced our bill after we found our downstairs toilet was to blame! It was continuously filling the cistern but we couldn’t hear it doing so. I was surprised how much water was wasted through this leak.

kathsue Thu 07-Jan-21 17:51:05

Update:
Got another letter from SWW today

You are using a lot more water than usual. If you don't think you have used all this water you may have a leak

It went on to tell me what to do about it.

Pity they didn't send me that letter first, before worrying me with a massive bill!

MamaCaz Wed 06-Jan-21 19:22:45

I can hear a leak through our pipes that is very noticeable in several rooms of our house, and it turns out that the leak isn't even on our propery.

Eighteen months on, and Anglian Water still haven't acted on it.

ElaineI Wed 06-Jan-21 19:04:06

Glad you have found the problem and hope it is sorted soon. So happy we don't have water meters!

Grannyben Wed 06-Jan-21 18:58:40

I'm with Anglian Water and have had 2 leaks over the last 5 years which increased both bills considerably. I rang and they were amazing.
I'm sure they will look at yours again once your leak has been investigated.

janeainsworth Wed 06-Jan-21 17:35:06

When I was working the water bill at my business premises suddenly rocketed kathsue.
It transpired that at some point, a water company employee had managed to attach my meter to next door’s property as well as mine, so I was paying for their water as well as mine.
I got quite a lot of money back.

Nonogran Wed 06-Jan-21 17:23:23

I think and I expect you've been advised, that if a leak is before the meter, South West Water are at fault. If the leak is between the meter & your house, there might be charges to pay?
In my experience, it's worth lifting the stop tap cover (usually outside in street) to check such matters from time to time.
South West Water will probably be helpful & understanding.
Good luck and try not to worry.

mumofmadboys Wed 06-Jan-21 17:22:46

We had a leak. The water company reduced the bill. They were excellent.

kathsue Wed 06-Jan-21 16:45:38

Thank you all. It seems I do have a leak somewhere. There's a little cog on the meter that is still turning even when there's no water being used. Spent the afternoon on the phone to southwest water and Homeserve and someone is coming on the 22nd to have a look.

She said they would put a hold on the bill for now and sort it out later when the leak is fixed.

grannysyb Wed 06-Jan-21 15:30:20

Are you on a meter? We are and Thames water charge us £22 a month, used to be £45 before I changed.

Alygran Wed 06-Jan-21 14:42:05

I can hear water running through my meter when a tap is on or the toilet flushing etc. A few years ago I could hear water moving through even in the night. Turned out to be a boiler leak. Fortunately it didn’t use too much water.
See if you can hear yours with nothing calling for water. If you can’t then call the supplier and explain. They should put a check on your meter. If you can you have a leak somewhere. Call a plumber to find it, then speak to your supplier. They may be willing to help you sort the bill.

Baggs Wed 06-Jan-21 14:41:42

Could there be a leak on or near your property?

kathsue Wed 06-Jan-21 14:24:58

I've just received a water bill stating I owe them £504. I pay monthly and they want to increase my monthly paymens by almost £100.

Looking at my older bills I usually use between 60 and 70 cubic metres of water per 6 months....this time it's 170!

I've checked the numbers on the meter and the reading is correct but I'm sure we couldn't have used so much extra water in these last 6 months.

I am going to phone them but I want to ask if any of you kind G'netters have any advice or experience of this first.