Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Funerals at this time on lockdown

(6 Posts)
Pebbles101 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:54:33

I am fretting because my very loved MIL died just before Xmas. The funeral is being held soon where she lived which is 4 h drive from us. I know that although we are in lockdown now close relatives are allowed to attend and stay overnight in a hotel . My H and I will go and stay but both of us are not happy for our daughters to travel that far alone at this time and don’t think it’s a good idea in the middle of this pandemic to travel unless necessary. They cannot travel together or stay together under the rules. I am worried that other family members will be judging us and them for not going. Any thoughts - am I just worrying because that’s what I do.

paddyanne Wed 06-Jan-21 19:56:56

I'm not sure you should be driving for 4 hours whatever the reason.My family in England couldn't come north for a family funeral during the first lockdown.You need to check that its permissable .People here are being fined for driving to the next town for shopping and thats just 12 miles away!

MawBe Wed 06-Jan-21 20:21:14

You can leave home to attend or visit a place of worship for communal worship, a funeral or event related to a death,​ ​a burial ground or a remembrance garden, or to attend a wedding ceremony.​ ​You ​should follow the guidance on the safe use of places of worship​ and ​must not mingle with anyone outside of your household or support bubble when attending a place of worship.Weddings, funerals a​nd religious, belief-based or commemorative events linked to someone’s death are all subject to limits on the numbers that can attend, and weddings and civil ceremonies may only take place in exceptional circumstances ^You can leave home to attend or visit a place of worship for communal worship, a funeral or event related to a death,​ ​a burial ground or a remembrance garden, or to attend a wedding ceremony.​ ​You ​should follow the guidance on the safe use of places of worship​ and ​must not mingle with anyone outside of your household or support bubble when attending a place of worship.Weddings, funerals a​nd religious, belief-based or commemorative events linked to someone’s death are all subject to limits on the numbers that can attend, and weddings and civil ceremonies may only take place in exceptional circumstances

I posted this on Monday in reply to Sophiasnana who asked the same question.
It is taken from the current lockdown restrictions.

fourormore Wed 06-Jan-21 20:58:31

I'm so. so sorry Pebbles101 - losing a loved one these days is worse than ever.
H and I have lost two much-loved relatives in the last three months and under normal circumstances we would have gone straight to the family and to both of the funerals.

After a lot of agonising it was decided that 'distancing' would be a major factor. My cousin was only 62 and my Aunty (her Mum) is 84. I knew that I would want to go and hug my Aunty and other family members. I also knew we would desperately want to hug several family members at the other funeral. It would have been impossible for any of us to stay sat apart.

On both occasions the services were live-streamed so we 'attended' by watching on line. Obviously it was nowhere near the same but to be honest it was kinder for all of us. We had the Orders of Service sent to us beforehand so could follow it and join in as and when.

This may be the answer for your daughters? It may also be the answer for yourselves although I assume the lady was your husband's mother, so I can totally understand you do want to be there. If you do travel, (and Maw has given you all the information you need) remember you will need 'comfort breaks' - service stations may not be overly safe and other amenities may be closed?

You are in a horrible position and whatever you decide I wish you all the best and send huge hugs. flowersflowersflowers

Pebbles101 Wed 06-Jan-21 21:44:08

Fourormore thank u that is a vg point and I think my daughters will be able to watch on line and one thing I was worried about was not being able to comfort them properly . We are used to going to my MIL place and can do it without stops if necessary and had to stay before Xmas so are happy with hotels safety for us. Thanks for support.

fourormore Thu 07-Jan-21 10:09:19

I hope you can sort something to suit everyone Pebbles as it is such a difficult time. I don't want to pry into your arrangements so don't worry about responding but there is one more thing that I want to tell you about the online coverage.
The two funerals in our family were both Crematorium services only. Apparently the Crems do vary about people going to the front to read.
At my cousin's service two people read - one a reading and one a poem - but they were not allowed to go to the front and just stood up wherever they were seated. There was no microphone cover so we couldn't hear either of them.
We could hear the music and the minister with no problem.
The other Crem allowed anyone reading to go to the lectern to read a poem so we heard every word of that service.
We have also 'attended' a streamed service in a Church and microphone cover was fine so it varies from place to place.
It may well be worth you checking with the Funeral Director that anyone reading anything will either be able to come to the lectern or have microphone cover.
We don't realise these things until they happen!
Please take care of yourselves flowersflowersflowers