Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's is yours set at?

(111 Posts)
PollyDolly Wed 06-Jan-21 19:02:58

Just curious to know what you all set your heating thermostat to?
OH is rather nesh and given half a chance would have the heating running quite high all day, I, a n the other hand, turn it down and put a woolly on.
What do you do?

Nicegranny Thu 07-Jan-21 14:28:40

lemsip

19. I live alone and wear cardis/jumpers . electric blanket to warm bed before getting in!
I'm in a flat so kept warm by neighbours. lol

I’m with you lemsip

I sometimes wonder if I could phone the guy downstairs and ask him to
“turn his heating up” ?

Hellsbelles Thu 07-Jan-21 15:51:17

Ours on on all the time. It will come on at night if it falls below 14.5°
During the day / evening at just under 20° .

JanT8 Thu 07-Jan-21 16:08:34

I have a poorly husband who doesn’t move much and feels the cold so mine is set at 22. Rads off and windows open in bedrooms during the day though.

Sawsage2 Thu 07-Jan-21 16:09:58

I wear lots of layers. Old hot air heating system in rented house but still chilly even when thermostat turned up to 21.

Saetana Thu 07-Jan-21 17:56:46

18C - which equates to about 20C in the lounge - I'm peri menopausal so the husband has to wear jumpers lol!

Washerwoman Thu 07-Jan-21 18:16:12

Set at 18.But I nudge it up to 20 /21 most mornings when I come im from walking the dogs in this icy weather.Our lounge in particular warms up quickly and stays snug.If I'm cold I pop on a thicker jumper or a gilet.
Heating off at night unless we have grandchildren staying.We like the bedrooms cooler and preheat the beds with electric blankets.

POBCOB Thu 07-Jan-21 18:42:07

We have an air source heat pump so underfloor heating downstairs and radiators upstairs. Each downstairs room has it’s own hand held thermostat which are all usually kept at 20. Upstairs has one thermostat usually kept at 20 although we use the individual controls on each radiator as still can’t figure out how to use the upstairs central control correctly yet?. Haven’t had to use the log burner as it loads warm already. Much lower settings in the warmer weather.

Happysexagenarian Thu 07-Jan-21 19:41:15

Our thermostat is set at 17°, it's in the utility room, the coldest room in the house. Our heating doesn't turn off and on via a timer because it's run by a solid fuel boiler (no gas in this village), so it only starts up when we refill the boiler each morning. All the radiators have thermostats but none of them get very warm and are touchable. The solid fuel boiler is in our lounge which is a huge openplan area adjoining the diner and kitchen roughly 40 x 25 feet overall with just two radiators. It's always cosy. As heat rises the bedrooms are always warm too even with the rads at the lowest setting. We only use the boiler between March/April - October/November. The rest of the year we use the immersion heater for hot water. Our electric account builds up credit through the winter which goes towards our use through the warmer months. It works for us, we had gas central heating in our previous house and horrendous bills, solid fuel works a lot cheaper for us.

Magrithea Fri 08-Jan-21 09:28:58

DH feels the cold now (due to medication needed following minor heart attack a couple of years ago) and we put the heating on all day yesterday as he was complaining! Usually thermostat is set at about 22

effalump Fri 08-Jan-21 15:01:40

Our thermostat is on the upstairs landing (which I think is a silly place to put it) but it generally gets set around 21 deg. at this time of year. However since mom developed Alzheimers over the summer, her hands always feel icy which I guess is due to her illness. I turn the thermostat down to 17 deg. when we go to bed so, at the moment, it seems to click on around 3am., although if I get up for the loo around 5, I then turn it up a little more. Me, on the other hand, since going post menopausal seem to carry my own personal radiator around with me so I regularly get a dab on.