Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

These are a few of my favourite things!

(72 Posts)
Flaxseed Wed 13-Jan-21 19:16:21

(Lighthearted)
I apologise if this has been discussed before!

Years ago, I remember my mum saying she couldn’t drink her tea/coffee out of just any old mug. It had to be one of the finer china ones.
As I get older, I realise I have started to become quite particular, and I too, have a favourite mug. Fine china and not too big. I have a cupboard full of mugs and use just one!

Recently, I have lost my favourite hair scrunchie. I have others but I hate that my favourite one is lost!
I have a favourite towel, spot on the sofa, type of socks, bowl for my breakfast, bra, and type of biro!

Anyone else?

Washerwoman Thu 14-Jan-21 16:52:01

Another favourite mug person here.A China one for my morning cuppa.A lovely little V&A patterned mug for breakfast coffee and then the matching one for my afternoon coffee. Then another nice mug for my evening chamomile tea.Other than that I'm low maintenance really !

EllanVannin Thu 14-Jan-21 17:34:31

China cup for my morning tea and a mug for my coffee. I couldn't/ don't reverse the contents, I wouldn't enjoy them out of the wrong cups grin
Step-daughter has to have a china cup and saucer when visiting----matching, of course.

nanna8 Fri 15-Jan-21 06:02:25

I have a little tiny bell I got in Japan and it is attached to my car keys. It has revolutionized my life because when I shake my handbag I am reassured that I haven't forgotten them!

Katyj Fri 15-Jan-21 07:19:29

My “ This work’s’’ pillow spray. I thought it smelt a bit odd at first, but now I find it so comforting, it’s quite expensive, so trying to use it sparingly. Also love my iPad ,so much entertainment in one small place.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 09:47:12

I have a favourite pillow.

Also a pink biro that I like. It isn't red, but not girly pink either.

I have a favourite place to work, in school. For ages, only I worked there (which was GREAT for covid too) but now others have found it so I only get to use it at weekends when all the day staff are gone. hmm

Yorkshire tea. I drink at least 5 cups, if not more a day and dread running out. Although a friend bought Irish Breakfast for me when I visited the other day, and that was very nice so maybe all is not lost.

sazz1 Fri 15-Jan-21 09:53:16

Favourite coffee Nescafe as I can't drink percolated coffee it makes me nauseous. Tea has to be loose leaf don't like tea bags, but will drink it at friend's house to be polite. Don't use bath towels as I have 3 towelling bathrobes. Oh and I always sit in the same place on the sofa.

Kenver60 Fri 15-Jan-21 09:55:50

Favourite makeup/blusher brush, it has just the perfect strength/amount of bristles , length of handle. Dreading the time when it packs up .

Lettice Fri 15-Jan-21 09:56:45

I have a favourite tablecloth, that comes out only for special occasions. Coral linen with white cutwork, sounds old-fashioned but the pattern is quite modern. I have a favourite painting which I move to another room on occasion so that I don't stop "seeing" it. A favourite pair of boots - purple and starting to look a bit battered. A favourite bird that regularly sits on my wall to sing.

hicaz46 Fri 15-Jan-21 10:07:06

I have china mugs for tea, thicker ordinary mugs for instant coffee and a cup and saucer for morning cappuccino. Must have at least 24 different mugs in cupboard and there’s only 2 of us. They do get used when we have visitors but that hasn’t been for a while of course.

Widnesbabcia Fri 15-Jan-21 10:10:12

I have a plastic pan strainer
It cost me 15p from woollies 39 years ago , couldn't do without it

glammanana Fri 15-Jan-21 10:20:52

I have a favourite butter knife which was my mum's I thought I had lost it once and had the bins out looking for it only to find I had put the lid on the butter with the knife inside.hmm
Also a stainless steel veg peeler from Jamie Oliver's range bought about 12 yrs ago for a stupid price but it is the best veg peeler I have ever had.
I must have china tea-cups for my Clipper breakfast tea.

Phloembundle Fri 15-Jan-21 10:34:48

Has to be china for tea because it tastes better. I have my favourite one. Also as someone said about face cloths, I buy the baby ones cos the others are too thick. The familiarity of favourite things is comforting.

Bazza Fri 15-Jan-21 10:40:58

I have favourite nearly everything! Particularly my mug. Large and bone China. I guess it’s an age thing.

justanovice Fri 15-Jan-21 10:42:23

Every time I have a boiled egg I have to eat it with a particular spoon. The egg just doesn't taste right otherwise. The spoon in question was given free with Nescafé about 50 years ago, it came with me when I got married, and is only used for boiled eggs. Writing all this down makes me realise just how daft it sounds.

timetogo2016 Fri 15-Jan-21 10:48:22

I have a favourite mug/soup spoon/knife and fork/cereal spoon/dinner plate/sandwhich plate/cereal bowl and a place on the sofa and i tell dh never let anyone use them everbut if i`m not home they can sit in my seat.
He thinks it`s very strange.

inishowen Fri 15-Jan-21 10:53:49

We have two sets of cutlery. I only like the forks from one set. Husband likes the forks on the other set! I like my tea in a China mug. Really hate thick mugs.

Sarahmob Fri 15-Jan-21 10:56:21

I have my own mugs, one of which is for coffee, one for tea and I would be upset if anybody else used them if I was at home. I have some favourite scissors in my knitting box and even sadder is my favourite needle for sewing up. I’ve had it for years and if I can’t find it will run a magnet over the carpet to find it - funny it’s the smallest things!

HannahLoisLuke Fri 15-Jan-21 11:00:33

Hetty58

My lodger used to have a favourite spot on the sofa (and favourite mug). He was very put out every time I rearranged the furniture. Of course, I did that frequently - I hid the mug too!

That just sounds mean.

Kenver60 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:04:55

I agree Canadian Gran
Thin flannels.

J52 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:05:18

I have a favourite crustal wine glass. DH also has a favourite one. They’re not from the same set, his looks a larger capacity, but it’s not. I measured the volume grin, had to make sure they’re fair!

J52 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:05:31

Crystal*

sweetcakes Fri 15-Jan-21 11:28:14

I'd never really thought about it before but yes, Mug ✔towels ✔chair✔hair clip ✔ only white plates ✔ ?

readalot Fri 15-Jan-21 11:30:41

My favourite things are my bone China mugs, I have three which I alternate. Tea does taste better out of a China mug. My most favourite thing of all is my Kindle Oasis. I wouldn't be without it.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Jan-21 11:44:50

A few of you have reminded me about my favourite flannel too! Not too thick, not too thin wink

schnackie Fri 15-Jan-21 11:49:50

Luckily I live alone grin. Favourite cup for coffee (mug), favourite glass mug for tea in the afternoon, huge mug for bedtime hot chocolate, favourite spoon for making coffee. Plates can be anything!+