Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

grandchild has autism

(32 Posts)
Willow73 Sat 23-Jan-21 07:49:54

How do I help the parents who have just been told their child has autism? Are there any guides out there that have helped other grandparents? I want to do all I can to help and support them all but don't know how, especially at the moment with not being able to go over to them because of virus.

Liljan Thu 28-Jan-21 07:28:44

This has been such a valuable post, my almost 3 year old grandson is waiting for further assessment, HV & SLT are involved but very slow to get reports etc completed. Hopefully this wont take much longer. This gorgeous little boy has gone from one or two words to being non verbal and from playing with other children to preferring to being alone.. He loves books, dinosaurs and music but most of all our dog which he’ll spend hours playing with and helping her feed out of her bowl! He’s a happy child and so, so loved that’s what matters.

Willow73 Sat 30-Jan-21 19:13:51

Many thanks again for all your kind words and advice. I hope this thread has been helpful to others as well as me. My grandson today sat for 2hours just strumming on his dads guitar his concentration was intense and wonderful to watch. Musical instruments here we come!

MiniMoon Sat 30-Jan-21 19:40:02

My grandson had his diagnosis age 5. He not only has autism, but also childhood apraxia of speech, and consistent phonological disorder with delay. He is 10 now, and a lovely affectionate boy. He is very literal, and has difficulty reading facial expressions and body language.
Because the family has moved around quite a bit, speech therapy has been sporadic. Intensive therapy would be the way to go, but where do you find such a thing without going private? He has improved slightly recently and I now understand much of what he says, or perhaps I have just learned how to decipher him!

My great niece aged 5 has been diagnosed high functioning autistic, is at school and has been given a maths age of 14.

Don't worry about how to help with your little one, as others have said, be there to support the family, and love him for the person he is.
Do not grieve for the person he might have been.

lemongrove Sat 30-Jan-21 19:51:41

Really good post Sarnia?
Those of us with either autistic children or grandchildren realise how hard it was, particularly at first in those early years, in uncharted waters.
Reading and trying to understand as much as possible is a great help, and sometimes just being there for the parents Willow when they are tired and dispirited.Love, in other words, for the child and the parents.

ShazzaKanazza Sun 21-Feb-21 08:09:16

My grandson is 6 and is autistic and he is just so wonderful. He’s a robust healthy. His difficulty is his speech which is very delayed so he makes a lot of noises and his words are coming and he’s in his own world or he seems to be a lot of the time. We are here for them in the way we have him over to visit us to give them a break. He loves to visit us and I have to say we still picked him up during this lockdown because he doesn’t understand why he couldn’t see us during lockdown one and it was torture for all of us. Please don’t get cross with me because of this. They’ve all had Covid and so have we last year.
I’d like to talk to other grandmas of autistic grandchildren for other ideas.

Franbern Sun 21-Feb-21 17:36:00

My g.son (nearly 21 yrs), was diagnosed as Autistic when he was in primary school. Despite a good SENCO at his secondary school it did not work almost from the start - and he was soon being suspended over and over again. Indeed, the Senior Senco officer at the education department labelled him at 'Uneducable'. My daughter and son in law fought a long, hard battle to get him into a special school for autistic children - finally won and he went for three and half years as a weekly boarder.

After he left with a good clutch of GCSE's and, even more important, a whole number of Management techniques, he went on to A levels at the local FE College. Their Senco department decided it was best to take it slow, so the first year he just did one A level, picking up a second one during the second year and so on. At the end of the four years he left there with 3x A and 1 x B (his first one), in Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Now happily settled in (even in these Covid times) doing a 4-year Masters Course at Uni in Chemical Studies. Still receiving some support there, but has actually made friends amongst his hall fellow students, and has actually become their spokesmen in regard to some problems with those Halls.

Obviously, all autistic children are different, as are all children, but if they are helped to understand their condition and how to manage it - they can lead perfectly normal lives.