Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What was dental care like in your childhood ?

(202 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Sat 23-Jan-21 12:33:28

It was interesting to read the thread on hygiene during our chidhoods and when we all managed to get a hot bath or not. I thought it would be enlightening to ask about the dental care,or lack of it,through our youth.
I can't remember having a toothbrush as a child but I do remember the trips to the dentist. In the 1960s I think dentists were paid to drill and fill teeth. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
All my teeth seemed to be filled by the time of being a teenager. It was very painful with no pain relief and frightening. She seemed a sadistic dentist who managed to put the drill through one of my brother's tongue. The waiting room was full of old pictures of religious scenes although for me it was a gateway to hell.
Subsequently I now have had teeth where the enamel is breaking off from large fillings. I am also scared of dentists.
How did everyone else fare during their childhood ?

Blinko Sat 04-Sep-21 10:15:35

Good God, this reads like a litany of child abuse, just not in a sexual context. Some of these monsters should have been prosecuted surely!

I thought I was alone, but I too had a pretty awful experience as a child with one dentist, fillings galore with no pain relief. I was thankful when we moved and the new dentist was kind, gentle and used anaesthetic.