Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feeling confused ?

(27 Posts)
Gran32 Wed 10-Feb-21 11:04:01

Hi everyone. Just off loading here.
My daughter behaved badly in her marriage towards the end and they are now apart. They have 3 children. The repercussions on me and my husband have been horrendous both emotionally and financially. We had to move house to replace savings we used and are still using to help her. I love her and the kids so much but am struggling to come to terms with what she's done and feel at peace. She has had a couple of relationships since but nothing that's lasted. Her husband was a good man and we loved him and is still a great dad. It's been 5 years now since they separated and I've had counselling who tell you to put you first, do what you can for the kids, she's a grown up making her own mistakes etc. But we pick up the pieces of those mistakes and they are hard to deal with. My heart hurts for the kids who adore their dad and deserved better. My eldest GS lost respect for her at the time but he's OK now.
Anyone else found themselves in this position and how did you handle it? Thank you for reading

deefletch Wed 10-Feb-21 18:36:48

Once we are adults we make our own choices in life and this is what your daughter has done, for good or bad. If you say your grandchildren are happy and loved, why do you find yourself still grieving over how life was before the marriage broke down?
Everything happens for a reason, and life moves us forward relentlessly, so please dont break your heart over what was. Acceptance of what is, is the way to find peace.