Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Moving after divorce, looking for suitable towns or cities in the Uk

(35 Posts)
Helenanne Sun 14-Feb-21 14:08:47

Hello ladies, I'm getting divorced (am 62) and we'll have to sell our small semi, and hope to fund two small properties. If lucky, we'll have about 95k each. This will buy nothing where I currently live, but I'm ready to move anywhere in the UK. Could anyone recommend towns which have properties in this price bracket, where I could live with a cat, and create a new life? Ideally with a local college for evening classes, a good library, cinema, and perhaps even theatre. Hope to find opportunities for voluntary work too. Nice countryside would also be good...! Thanks

pinKee Tue 16-Mar-21 05:02:49

is malvern link a safe place to live for an active 70 year old cultured lady?

mrswoo Mon 22-Feb-21 21:10:37

I can recommend Newcastle /Northumberland too. I’ve only lived here for two years ( a lot of it spent locked down) but I love the city - there is so much to (usually) do. The surrounding countryside is wonderful.
Good luck with your search and your new life wherever you choose to spend it.

GreyKnitter Mon 22-Feb-21 21:02:41

I think there are houses in Cleveland that would fulfill your criteria. Have a look on rightmove and see what you think. Good luck.

GrannyRose15 Mon 22-Feb-21 20:59:04

I know there are such properties in Leeds, Wigan and Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. Or have you thought of moving to Wales.

Grammaretto Mon 22-Feb-21 19:10:24

I would recommend Galashiels. It is a lively town, on the Waverley line railway link to Edinburgh, with good shops plus all the ones you'd expect.
There are currently 30 homes listed on rightmove. under £90k
Lovely countryside all around and it is home to the Borders College as well as the Heriot Watt University school of Textile and Design and is soon to be home to the Great Tapestry of Scotland. scotlandstapestry.com/
Very much a hidden gem. Other Borders towns are lovely too but they don't have the rail link.

Artaylar Mon 22-Feb-21 18:18:15

Scarborough looks to tick all of your boxes Helenanne including a theatre.

Just checked on Rightmove and currently there are over 80 properties for sale with a price tag of less than £100k. Most of them look to be apartments including this lovely looking one with great views (around a mile from town, though probably on a main bus route). Its freehold too which is a bonus ball for an apartment
www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/87079957#/

Scarborough is not the most connected place as far as the rail network is concerned, though 50 minutes will get you to York and around 2.5 hours to Manchester.

Sandwichnan Mon 22-Feb-21 13:55:59

Malvern? I moved here after my divorce two years ago and bought a flat for £90k. It’s a lovely area, the Hills, city of Worcester 6 miles away, Malvern theatre and an evening class college. Best thing I did.

Dee1012 Mon 22-Feb-21 13:50:40

I'll third Newcastle / Northumberland. Property prices can be in your bracket and the majority of people are really nice.
It has an excellent public transport system including mainline train services and the coastline / countryside is absolutely wonderful.
Hospitals are second to none and again the centre of Newcastle has theatre's, cinemas and great shopping.

GagaJo Wed 17-Feb-21 15:12:52

I second Newcastle / Northumberland. If you look around the very edges of the city, you can find places that are quite quiet, BUT that also have direct metro access into the city centre.

You could find a nice sized older house, and ideally it would be backed with countryside, suitable for your cat.

I am not a Geordie, but really like Newcastle. LOTS to do (usually) and only a 20 minute drive to beautiful beaches and countryside too. I spent all of lockdown alone on a beach last year. Well, me and GS.

Cressida Wed 17-Feb-21 13:48:17

Riverwalk there are definitely houses for sale under £95k. Like this one

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/65495562#/

trisher Tue 16-Feb-21 12:05:39

Helenanne Do look at the Newcastle/Northumberland area. But be careful there are areas of Newcastle with very cheap housing where you wouldn't want to live and very expensive areas where you couldn't afford to. Newcastle has several theatres, great libraries and an efficient local and national transport system. There are places along the coast and in the countryside within easy travelling distance. And Geordies are very welcoming people (although the language can sometimes be a problem at first)

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 11:57:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hetty58 Sun 14-Feb-21 19:51:27

Helenanne, you're just a youngster, really, with an exciting new life ahead of you. (Welbeck, sheltered housing? How depressing!)

Yes, a two bed cottage sounds just right. BlueBelle, no, a mobile home just depreciates, like a car, so never a good investment.

Newatthis Sun 14-Feb-21 19:43:46

Shropshire is still very well priced with medieval towns, beautiful countryside and lots of the things you mentioned available.

welbeck Sun 14-Feb-21 19:23:50

would you consider a sheltered housing scheme.
these are usually open to ages over 55.
and might be better for longer-term, esp if on your own.

crazyH Sun 14-Feb-21 19:20:33

Llanelli, Dyfed, Wales. My friend was looking in that area, and found a new-build terraced house for around £95000......divorce is hard, isn’t it? Good luck ..

Septimia Sun 14-Feb-21 19:12:47

Cheap property and glorious countryside in Northumbria. Mostly friendly folk, too.

paddyanne Sun 14-Feb-21 19:08:57

Lots of places in the West of Scotland where you can buy a two bed flat for 95K Check out Rightmove

Blinko Sun 14-Feb-21 18:42:20

Speaking very generally, if you move south, property is more expensive. If you move north, less so, unless it's somewhere particularly desirable like the Yorkshire Dales, or the Lakes. Take a look at properties on Rightmove.

JaneJudge Sun 14-Feb-21 18:40:25

Stafford

Missfoodlove Sun 14-Feb-21 18:35:30

Hi there, the one town where there is a good selection property in your price range.
Very handy for the Lakes and Scotland.

Grannyben Sun 14-Feb-21 16:33:26

Have you thought of the Leeds area. Excellent direct train links to Blackpool, Carlisle and Edinburgh.

Helenanne Sun 14-Feb-21 15:53:53

Thanks everyone, there are some great suggestions here, a little 2 up 2 down would be perfect. I have some family in the Cumbria area, a son currently in Blackpool and a daughter who is not settled but likely to stay in the Scottish central belt, so am keen to be not too far from the rail network. Looks like the midlands might be a good option.

annodomini Sun 14-Feb-21 15:53:20

You don't mention if you have any sources of income. Do you have an occupational pension? Obviously, it will be some years before you get the state pension. It might be worth talking to a financial adviser about the possibility of getting a mortgage. Some lenders have provision for older borrowers.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Feb-21 15:08:04

riverwalk You can buy properties for that price in some areas in my town
Have you thought about a static mobile home if I didn’t have my house that’s what I d look for