Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What name.do you go by

(57 Posts)
1147Belle Mon 01-Mar-21 20:55:12

I just found out i have a grandchild onway .
I suggested I would be happy to be called Nana
but its been suggested i choose something else as nana was my mother in Law .

Any ideas

heath480 Mon 01-Mar-21 22:51:22

I am Nonna,my children were born in Italy and I love being Nonna.

Witzend Mon 01-Mar-21 22:56:49

I’m Granny (first name), the other GM is Granny (first name) too.
I never liked any of the other grandmother names, but funnily enough when a very tiny Gdd would call me Nanny, because she couldn’t yet say the G-word, I found I liked it after all.

Esspee Mon 01-Mar-21 23:14:48

I’m grandma, but I have noticed the elder one sometimes refers to me as “gee ma” lately, presumably the letter g is what she means. I’m ignoring it in the hope it is just a phase ?.

Maggiemaybe Mon 01-Mar-21 23:26:58

Blimey, the thread’s been running over 2 hours and as yet nobody’s come out with the usual unoriginal guff about Nanna being a goat or the paid help. That’s a first! smile

Just add your name, as others have said, if Nana’s the term you prefer? Even though my opposite numbers are all known as Grandma, I’m Nanna Maggie and love it.

And congratulations, OP - it’s the best job in the world!

Ro60 Mon 01-Mar-21 23:47:33

Congratulations! I had a Granny & a Mamgu - Welsh. I'm Gran & the other one is Granny. Don't know what the other is (2DDs)

DGD solved the Grand-dads problem by calling one Grandy - which he thinks is just grand. ?

Gransey Tue 02-Mar-21 01:00:48

See my username. Found by my DIL on Mumsnet just as she was going into labour, just a little different. Now used by all three DGC

Redhead56 Tue 02-Mar-21 01:15:33

Nana or nanny with my name attached.

Redhead56 Tue 02-Mar-21 01:18:01

Nana or nanny Lynn and Grandy.

Dragonella Tue 02-Mar-21 01:22:57

Granny.

FarNorth Tue 02-Mar-21 03:16:54

Grandma.

kittylester Tue 02-Mar-21 06:57:31

Our eldest daughter was the first to have a baby and, because she loved her grandpa so much, she deemed that we should be grandpa and grandma! DGS1 had other ideas and called us Ma and Pa. I love it as I didn't really want to be a grandma, granny or any variety of Nana.

Kim19 Tue 02-Mar-21 07:06:39

I think a GP should be called exactly what they choose. My S&P were gracious enough to ask me just that. I gave the matter a great deal of thought and, bingo, we're all decidedly happy.

Bellasnana Tue 02-Mar-21 07:17:18

When my treasure calls me Nana it’s the sweetest sound in the world to me.

My children called my mum GanGan, shortened to Gan as they got older. Their Maltese grandmother was Nanna like every other grandmother in Malta.?

ginny Tue 02-Mar-21 07:45:29

Nana & Grandad.
18 yr old DGS now calls me Nan.
Perfectly happy with both.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Mar-21 07:46:52

Nana, then as older teens Nan ... suits me

janeainsworth Tue 02-Mar-21 07:47:50

Grandma like my own grandmothers were called.
Grandma Jane if it’s necessary to distinguish me from my opposite number.

Gagagran Tue 02-Mar-21 07:50:14

I'm Granny to our four and DH is Grandad.

Our two DC called us by our first names for some years until last summer, when DH was so ill ,and DS started referring to him as "Dad" and me as "Mum" and I really liked that and it has continued. DD still refers to us by our first names though unless speaking to her DC when it's Granny and Grandad.

NannyJan53 Tue 02-Mar-21 07:58:06

As my name on here, I am Nanny Jan. When they were babies and toddlers it was Nanny Janny smile

Grandma70s Tue 02-Mar-21 08:16:37

Maggiemaybe, why is it it ‘unoriginal guff’ to say that nanny is the word for a paid nursemaid/help? It’s a fact. I never heard it used to mean grandmother until I was well grown up, and it still seems an odd usage to me.

henetha Tue 02-Mar-21 10:18:50

I love being called Nan by all my grandchildren. Sometimes I get called Nannykins for fun, - even though they are all grown up now.

WishIwasyounger Tue 02-Mar-21 10:23:32

Granny name.

timetogo2016 Tue 02-Mar-21 10:28:24

I`m Grandma and the g/children call their moms mom nan.
My step children call me nanny .

MiniMoon Tue 02-Mar-21 10:36:21

We are Granny and Grandpa.

My grandson with childhood apraxia of speech calls me Dandy, he can't get his tongue around the gr sound. He's having intensive speech therapy, and I will be a little sad when Dandy becomes Granny.

harrigran Tue 02-Mar-21 11:33:36

We are Grandma and Granda, we only have two GC and they are sisters so they both call us that.
Other GPs are Granny and an unusual name, so unique I can't write it as it would identify him.

sodapop Tue 02-Mar-21 12:35:23

I don't see why you find the usage of Nanny odd Grandma70s there are many variations on here and that is just one of them. I have always been Nanny and still am even though my grandchildren are in their twenties and thirties now.