Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mediterranean Cruise

(49 Posts)
Lynker Thu 04-Mar-21 19:50:57

My husband wants us to take his daughter, her 3 teenage children and her partner on a week's cruise this summer. He has chosen a huge liner that is designed for children/families. In excess of 4000 passengers and 2000 staff. Would you want to go? He can't understand my anxiety just thinking about it. Thank you for your thoughts.

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 14:34:47

‘Working out what individuals consider poses a risk factor’ is about interpretation not fact.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 12:09:50

LauraNorder

More about facts than personality in my opinion.

I also said working out what individuals consider poses a risk factor ... using facts I expect!

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 11:39:35

Doodle, sounds like sensible measures in place.
I’m sure businesses in all hospitality sectors will do their very best and it’s incumbent on us all to support them whilst taking care that we don’t relax to the extent that things go backwards.

Doodle Fri 05-Mar-21 11:29:54

yggdrasil they will probably cancel or re arrange the date.
We have had 2 cruises cancelled so far and probably the third due to go in June will be cancelled too.
On our last cruise all passengers had to wash their hands with hot water and soap (supervised by crew) before entering the dining room. All food was served, even the buffet. All staircases and lifts had gel dispensers at every floor. No one was allowed in any of the communal rooms without anti bac spray on their hands. All of this was before COVID was mentioned. We have been told by our cruise line Saga that we will all have to have proof of two vaccinations, a negative test two weeks before departure and again at departure. Number of passengers on each ship has been reduced to less than 800.
Every room has its own balcony and opening doors and windows. Would we go. Yes if given the chance.

grannysyb Fri 05-Mar-21 11:19:26

I think (if I had the money,) the only cruise I would go on would be a Saga one, everyone tested and vaccinated. Wouldn't do for your grandchildren though! I too think children would find a cruise quite boring.

yggdrasil Fri 05-Mar-21 11:11:14

I booked a cruise for this September way back in 2019 before any virus. I paid a deposit, and a rather large amount is due in May.
I don't want to go this year, but unless they cancel the cruise, I will lose my deposit. So it is all a lottery these days

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 11:03:51

More about facts than personality in my opinion.

Liz46 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:42:07

There's no way I would go on a cruise this year or even travel abroad and I love my holidays,

Ashcombe Fri 05-Mar-21 10:38:45

Lucca is not my real name but neither is Gay Abandon.

That made me smile, Lucca!

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 10:35:32

I m surprised that you think all it needs is a vaccination

I do.
I suppose it all depends on our personalities and assessment of what poses a risk.

We are all different. I’m hugely reassured that with a double jab I’ll be as protected as I can be. The difference between this summer and last is pretty darned amazing. The immunity it confers means I’ll be more than happy to sit on a plane, eat and drink on a sunny terrace abroad when allowed and meet up with friends again. I shall be in the fresh air (less chance there of transmission anyway) and joyous not to be locked away.

Obviously those who are more cautious won’t be doing this. I expect some slow unlocking suits a lot of people.

I can’t wait to be out and about here too, supporting local businesses, hotels and restaurants. I’ve been cooped up for long enough. I want my life back!

Lucca Fri 05-Mar-21 10:33:18

LauraNorder

Sorry Lucca, I did note the caution in your response to Urmstongran. My comment on gay abandon was more in response to Urms comments.

Lucca is not my real name but neither is Gay Abandon.

glammagran Fri 05-Mar-21 10:07:38

Been on 3 cruises and we’ve never been ill. Would definitely do another when the time is right. We’ve been to the Dominican Republic 3 times and on every occasion have returned home really ill. Never again.

BlueBelle Fri 05-Mar-21 10:00:54

I agree umstrong about not living in fear BUT I could not go through this again so I don’t think overseas hols or cruises are wise for THIS year hopefully next year and if you think vaccinating is the total answer I think you are mistaken it’s a big help and a huge step in the right direction but no where near the whole story
I think we do need to start to come out of our shelters and start moving around and getting back to normalish lives but overseas holidays only put us in danger of going right back where we started from .....after all it all started through flying and trotting round the world didn’t it
I m surprised that you think all it needs is a vaccination

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 09:58:32

Sorry Lucca, I did note the caution in your response to Urmstongran. My comment on gay abandon was more in response to Urms comments.

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 09:53:42

I don’t think age or fear has anything to do with being aware.
The vaccine is not a silver bullet. Covid will be around for a long time, if not forever. Many countries are way behind Britain with a vaccine roll out. Even after two vaccinations you can still get covid, you can still spread covid, perhaps to the younger, unvaccinated generation. The virus can continue to mutate, become stronger or even more contagious.
I’m not trying to frighten anyone. I just want people to realise that, although life must go on, we still need to be very cautious and maintain our hands, face, space routines. Not easy on a cruise ship full of people, many of whom may think they’re safe to abandon all care.
Contrary opinion is just that, gay abandon is not the voice of reason.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:36:17

Lucca thank you! The voice of reason.
?

Lucca Fri 05-Mar-21 08:10:37

Urmstongran

Is it just old people who are scared of going out because I don’t understand it. Once we’ve been jabbed, surely this summer life will be open to us all once again? Flights, restaurants, whatever takes your fancy? I think you can be too cautious. Carpe Diem for me anyway!
?

I think......I might agree with you there!
It would depend on regulations about quarantine or private Covid tests as these could add quite a few hundred quid to the cost.

Lucca Fri 05-Mar-21 08:09:00

Aveline

Not this year. Its a kind thought of his though. Why not find somewhere nice in the UK? Somewhere with lots for the youngsters to do?

I’d guess because it would cost even more, everywhere is booked up, plus unreliable weather !

I wouldn’t go on a cruise ship with 4000 passengers at the best of times.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:06:49

Is it just old people who are scared of going out because I don’t understand it. Once we’ve been jabbed, surely this summer life will be open to us all once again? Flights, restaurants, whatever takes your fancy? I think you can be too cautious. Carpe Diem for me anyway!
?

harrigran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:00:55

Oh dear, that is my idea of a waking nightmare. 4,000 passengers, it would be like a floating tower block.
I am not convinced teenagers would be impressed. I would go with the villa idea, our DC loved two weeks inthe sun with their own pool and Al fresco meals.

BlueBelle Fri 05-Mar-21 07:58:50

I have never fancied cruising and the thought of being on a floating village with all of the varieties of mankind for a week a month or even more, would be my idea of a holiday but putting that to one side after seeing those poor people locked in the cruise ships for weeks at the beginning of the pandemic last year made me even more sure I d never want to go on one Then take it one step further would you really want to be on a cruise so sooner after slinking out of lockdown so no, no, no, in fact I don’t personally think holidays abroad are a great idea this year at all
We are cautiously crawling out of this complete and utter nightmare I think we should go very slowly
My friends husband did a similar thing a few years ago not a cruise but a holiday he paid for all the family two children husbands and grand kids, a few days in, the two daughters had a massive row that ended with one packing the family up and going home and they didn’t speak for nearly a year My friends’ husband was mortified and lost quite a few thousands pounds

Dwmxwg Fri 05-Mar-21 07:43:22

How about a big house in UK with heated pool and hot tub. The teenagers could bring a friend (which will keep them happy). Probably work out cheaper than a cruise
We have enjoyed many family holidays with 4 generations, the children definitely outgrow them unless they have a friend in tow

gt66 Fri 05-Mar-21 07:37:05

sorry that should say lots to do!

gt66 Fri 05-Mar-21 07:36:27

I would also add that even though there's losts to do, it was also the most relaxing holiday I've ever had!

gt66 Fri 05-Mar-21 07:32:48

What about Centre Parcs in this country? I went with my teenagers, back in the 90's and we all had a great time; left the car in the car park, hired bikes, did archery, badminton, sailing and lots of other activities.

We were never bored, as there's so much to do, indoors, or out, so not a problem if the weather is bad.