Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are you doing for International Women’s Day?

(76 Posts)
MBHP1 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:20:57

What are you doing to celebrate International Women’s Day?

When my mother was still with us, she, my daughter and I would meet, discuss local, national and international affairs that were having an impact on women, my mother would talk about her lived experience and we would toast each others womanhood, our appreciation for having each other and wishing for all females access to good health care, excellent education facilities, freedom of movement and freedom from threat or actual various forms of abuse and violence.

We are continuing this family tradition. My daughter and granddaughter will have to be outdoors this year, let’s hope for a dry, calm day, don’t mind the cold. At 6..30 this morning it was -1%.

trisher Sat 06-Mar-21 11:03:51

This year's theme is "Choose to Challenge". There's nothing sexist about IWD men can take part. www.internationalwomensday.com/theme

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 11:08:05

Ashcombe I didn't know that about links with Women's Day of Prayer. My mom and Grandmother were very involved with that years ago.

Peasblossom Sat 06-Mar-21 11:12:58

Really! If I celebrated IWD I would be so put out with it being link to any religious organisation, given the attitude of most religions to women.

Now how do you reconcile those two?

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 11:16:42

Peasblossom do you mean me? I'm not religious so can't answer that. I'm not anti religion though.

henetha Sat 06-Mar-21 11:17:04

I didn't know it was IWD, but I shall be doing what I've done for years; standing on my own feet, looking after myself, being independant, managing my own affairs.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Mar-21 11:19:37

Ooops, thought this was about Mother's Day.grin Shows how much I know.

MBHP1 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:34:19

Peasblossom

Really! If I celebrated IWD I would be so put out with it being link to any religious organisation, given the attitude of most religions to women.

Now how do you reconcile those two?

I have never known IWD to be linked to any religion and that is not it’s origins.

Peasblossom Sat 06-Mar-21 11:43:48

My comment wasn’t directed at anyone Fanny. I try not to get personal ?

I was just struck by the linking of IWD with a Women’s Day of Prayer, prayer being a religious thing.

Not that I have anything to do with either of them.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Mar-21 12:47:27

The only IWD I ever celebrated was by accident when we booked into a Hotel in Romania and the ladies invited us to join their party. The only thing I remember was: it was the best Brandy I’ve ever tasted ?

Iam64 Sat 06-Mar-21 13:32:49

Not wanting to irritate the already irritated and dismissive but at least one woman is killed every week by her male partner.
Lockdown has seen a huge increase in domestic abuse towards women
Women continue to earn less than men with similar qualifications
Lockdown has seen mothers predominantly the parent who is furloughed.
Lockdown has seen working mothers doing the bulk of home schooling and domestic work.
International Women’s day sexist ?

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 13:52:00

Why is IWD a load of bull by the way ?

Peasblossom Sat 06-Mar-21 14:06:17

I think maybe it was the tone of the post that put peoples hackles up rather than IWD itself?

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 14:07:14

Peasblossom

I think maybe it was the tone of the post that put peoples hackles up rather than IWD itself?

Which post do you mean ?

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:12:16

The opening post I assume Lucca

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 14:16:41

FannyCornforth

The opening post I assume Lucca

Why ? OP. Asked a question. Why not just say you’re not doing anything or you don’t see the need for it, why “load of bull”. So narrow minded.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:19:48

Yes I agree with you Lucca
Narrow minded.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 15:13:21

I’m not doing anything special on Monday, which, incidentally is also World Kidney Day.

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 15:19:48

Jaxjacky

I’m not doing anything special on Monday, which, incidentally is also World Kidney Day.

Interesting ! Quite a few of my family only have one kidney

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 15:30:02

This sounds interesting to anybody involved in the creative arts.

youtu.be/8C79Ucfbz6c

Callistemon Sat 06-Mar-21 15:53:26

Peasblossom

See, I frittered about for the whole of 3rd March before remembering it was DS birthday ?

And then it was only because he sent a text saying thank you for card.

Just not a special day person.

At least you remembered to send a card!
Well done.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Mar-21 15:56:20

Never heard of it so never done anything for it
Life will carry on as normal doing all the womanly things I do every day like having a shower, brushing my hair cleaning my teeth and breathing
I don’t think my town has ever celebrated any day !! (Apart from Mother’s Day maybe )

Callistemon Sat 06-Mar-21 16:00:01

Ashcombe

This normally would be linked to the Women’s World Day of Prayer and women would meet in churches or other places of worship. It was ecumenical and once, when I lived in Staffs., we celebrated at a local abbey with the nuns which was interesting.

Ashcombe thank you, I knew this rang a bell in the recesses. That, I think, is when I was given a Prayer Book for Women and Girls when I was a child.

I just found it and read My Rule of Life which I wrote carefully in the back - none of which I have managed to keep except to donate to a charity. I promised to put 3d a week into a box and donate to The Children's Society.

grumppa Sat 06-Mar-21 16:23:30

Why don’t the IWD and IMD organisers join forces and agree on one all-inclusive International People’s Day? Then there’d be only one date to avoid.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Mar-21 16:24:52

I will be celebrating with the females in my immediate family and a couple of other Grans via Zoom with bubbles.........it’s the day the children are all back in school.

Callistemon Sat 06-Mar-21 16:28:51

grumppa

Why don’t the IWD and IMD organisers join forces and agree on one all-inclusive International People’s Day? Then there’d be only one date to avoid.

grin