Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are you doing for International Women’s Day?

(76 Posts)
MBHP1 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:20:57

What are you doing to celebrate International Women’s Day?

When my mother was still with us, she, my daughter and I would meet, discuss local, national and international affairs that were having an impact on women, my mother would talk about her lived experience and we would toast each others womanhood, our appreciation for having each other and wishing for all females access to good health care, excellent education facilities, freedom of movement and freedom from threat or actual various forms of abuse and violence.

We are continuing this family tradition. My daughter and granddaughter will have to be outdoors this year, let’s hope for a dry, calm day, don’t mind the cold. At 6..30 this morning it was -1%.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 06-Mar-21 16:34:34

Nope, I won’t be celebrating anything

janeainsworth Sat 06-Mar-21 16:38:29

Why ? OP. Asked a question

Yes, but with the underlying assumption that everyone would be doing something, so that anyone who wasn't, would reply in a defensive way.

A less biased question would have been 'Are you doing anything to celebrate IWD?'

MBHP1 Sat 06-Mar-21 16:57:52

Here is a link to a body that encourages women’s participation and consult women about many matters, they have events for IWD etc,

www.scottishwomensconvention.org/

MBHP1 Sat 06-Mar-21 17:00:52

janeainsworth

^Why ? OP. Asked a question^

Yes, but with the underlying assumption that everyone would be doing something, so that anyone who wasn't, would reply in a defensive way.

A less biased question would have been 'Are you doing anything to celebrate IWD?'

Interesting point...didn’t think of that...

Magsymoo Sat 06-Mar-21 17:09:55

I think this is a lovely post. Thank you OP for reminding me and sharing the lovely way you spend this day with your daughter and granddaughter. I will raise a glass on Monday to my own daughter, granddaughter, daughter in law, step daughter and all the wonderful women in my life.

trisher Sat 06-Mar-21 17:20:15

janeainsworth

^Why ? OP. Asked a question^

When someone is simply posting about what she is doing on a special day for her and the women in her family and people start to criticise this you realise why IWD is still vitally important.
It doesn't have to be a big event, it might just be a phone call but it links you to other women all over the world.
Thanks for posting MBHP1

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 17:33:34

GrannyGravy13

I will be celebrating with the females in my immediate family and a couple of other Grans via Zoom with bubbles.........it’s the day the children are all back in school.

???

janeainsworth Sat 06-Mar-21 18:01:13

Trisher I wasn’t criticising MBHP1, or IWD.
Just pointing out that the way a question is phrased might influence the type of responses.

Iam64 Sat 06-Mar-21 18:48:22

Janeainsworth , you make an interesting point. I couldn’t stop my mind saying ‘yes, but remember, this is gransnet’

MBHP1 Mon 08-Mar-21 07:25:30

Happy International Women’s day to all on Gransnet.?

In celebration, there are events around the globe. I put in search engine, ‘International Women’s Day’ and there is lots out there.

Also, some retailers have deals on -
Waterstones - caught just a glimpse so best not give misleading info
Matalan - less 10% on women’s wear until midnight

Lucca Mon 08-Mar-21 08:39:53

MBHP1

Happy International Women’s day to all on Gransnet.?

In celebration, there are events around the globe. I put in search engine, ‘International Women’s Day’ and there is lots out there.

Also, some retailers have deals on -
Waterstones - caught just a glimpse so best not give misleading info
Matalan - less 10% on women’s wear until midnight

Thank you !

simtib Mon 08-Mar-21 09:39:54

I would rather have an international peoples day when we could celebrate how much better things would be if we all worked together instead of trying to split the world into two separate groups.

Ailidh Mon 08-Mar-21 10:02:22

I looked at the history of IWD, which is pre-women's suffrage.

I found it quite chastening to read, horrifying to think how far we have come, horrifying still to remember that, as others have said, there are so many cultures around the world where women are still systemically under-valued, let alone in our own country where women in power are often vilified and mocked.

Blondiescot Mon 08-Mar-21 10:08:42

Celebrating! I love the fact that IWD is also my birthday! Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

trisher Mon 08-Mar-21 10:08:45

Happy International Women's Day. Thanks for drawing attention to this event which is still so much needed. This year's theme is Choose to Challenge. I'm singing in a zoom choir and joining an on-line chat
There is a UN Human Rights Day oif you want a people's day.

silverlining48 Mon 08-Mar-21 10:12:44

It’s important enough to be a bank holiday in Germany ??. For all I know the whole of Europe have the day off.

silverlining48 Mon 08-Mar-21 10:13:34

Except us of course..

trisher Mon 08-Mar-21 10:16:54

Wouldn't it be nice to have a bank holiday in March. When things are back to normal of course.

Gummie Mon 08-Mar-21 10:29:13

I just be getting on with my lockdown WFH life as usual.

silverlining48 Mon 08-Mar-21 10:31:25

I think our biggest gap is from August to December with no bank holidays. A day off in October would be nice ? and an extra one in
March too of course Trisher. We are way behind the rest of Europe.
Lowest state pensions too but that is for another post.
Have a thoughtful international women’s day everyone.

MBHP1 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:13:07

Blondiescot

Celebrating! I love the fact that IWD is also my birthday! Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

?Wishing you a happy birthday and many happy returns ?

MiniMoon Mon 08-Mar-21 11:20:39

When my mother was alive, we used to go every year, to the service for International Women's Day. It was held in the Bethesda Hall in my home town.
I haven't been for many years, and don't know if it is still held there.
I won't be doing anything this year, but I'm in the kitchen listening to Scala radio. They are having a celebration of women in music, featuring female composers and conductors. It's lovely.

Blondiescot Tue 09-Mar-21 13:16:03

MBHP1

Blondiescot

?Wishing you a happy birthday and many happy returns ?

Thank you!

Ro60 Tue 09-Mar-21 13:45:26

Missfoodlove: That was my thought too.? I'm fully armed with my feather duster ?

Interesting that it's celebrated in other countries - Japan has it's Daughters Day.
Since moving south in the spring a few years in a row, I've seen groups of women dressed in purple outfits heading to the train station & wondered where they were going??

I'm all for promoting possitives. Let's celebrate. ? Cheers Girls ?

Ellianne Tue 09-Mar-21 13:50:45

MBHP1
Where was my cake and champagne then? I told you it was my birthday about 6 comments in on thread? grin