Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Late bucket list? Any unrealized dreams?

(114 Posts)
Foxglove77 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:28:02

I was just considering what I would still love to do. I dont fancy jumping out of a plane or a bungee jump. I do want to see the Giants causeway and cuddle a koala. Maybe drive a steam train. What dreams do you still have?

B9exchange Sun 14-Mar-21 22:34:42

Smaller

B9exchange Sun 14-Mar-21 22:29:52

Third attempt, seems to think they are too big! If this doesn't come across you will have to imagine a shining star in the night sky, which is the illuminated statue, sorry!

B9exchange Sun 14-Mar-21 22:27:11

And by night

B9exchange Sun 14-Mar-21 22:26:22

Problems with photos

B9exchange Sun 14-Mar-21 22:24:51

Here you go Rozina, Christ the Redeemer by day, and by night from across the bay. Nightwriter which bit of Madagascar do you want to go to? My uncle was a missionary in Antananarivo, I would love to go and see his old home.

rozina Sun 14-Mar-21 19:31:25

I would love to go to Rio de Janeiro, especially for the Carnival. To see also Copacabana and the Statue of Christ.

rozina Sun 14-Mar-21 19:29:18

This is a message for MerylStreep who I saw on here a short time ago. If you want to go on a Moon visit, I have seen only today one that would be perfect for you - 'A Seat on the First SpaceX Tourist Rocket to the Moon'
. Contact Yusaku Maezawa@yousuckMZ. He is wanting 8 passengers for the first Tourist Moon trip.

Milliedog Sun 14-Mar-21 11:42:39

I want to steal a digger and trundle down the motorway pursued by the police....

Rowsie Sun 14-Mar-21 11:10:44

A visit to Antarctica!

Theoddbird Sun 14-Mar-21 11:02:03

Nanan2 It makes me cry. My daughter wants to but my son doesn't. She has come round...it is up to him now x

Rosiebee Sun 14-Mar-21 09:08:18

Last year we had our trip to Canada cancelled, because of Covid. The Rocky Mountaineer was definitely on my bucket list. We'd booked the Gold Leaf package in the carriages with glass roofs. As soon as North America opens up, we'll rebook the whole thing, including the whale watching and the ferry down to Seattle.

nightwriter Sat 13-Mar-21 23:06:34

I fulfilled my dream of going to Costa Rica 2 years ago. It is the most wonderful place I have ever been and the wildlife was amazing. I was woken up in the morning by howler monkeys and saw macaws flying free past my window. Three years ago we went to Borneo. These trips were on my bucket list but I would still like to go to Madagascar, the north and south poles. Ah well, I can dream.

Foxglove77 Sat 13-Mar-21 21:49:01

For those of you who would like to travel around India, may I suggest Sri Lanka? It's a beautiful island with a taste of India, but smaller and I felt safer. Fantastic wildlife and friendly people. I've been twice. Ive never seen so many elephants, monkeys and kingfishers. I have issues with food and survived on fresh fruit and gateaux!

Readerjb Sat 13-Mar-21 21:39:00

Ailidh can I come share your permanent bucket list. I’m an Aussie, but have had the chance to stay in London six times, as an old school friend has lived there since 1982. And in 2016 went with my Liverpool- born husband to UK, travelling from London to the Lakes District via Blackpool. It was a sunny May Day, and we loved the waterfront.

Nannyfrance Sat 13-Mar-21 17:45:42

On my 65th birthday I did a deep sea dive in the Barrier Reef. I am not a strong swimmer but the tour operators were excellent and gave me a lot of encouragement. The colours of the plants and fish were amazing. It was something I’d always wanted to see. I even found Nemo.

fluttERBY123 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:36:03

Had a health scare a few years ago false alarm. Concentrates the mind. Anyway did 2 things while I could, one was the cruise St Petersburg (berg?) to Moscow. Best ever. The other was to help redecorate a flat for a family member who would never have got on with it otherwise. Best thing I ever did was visit Taj Mahal. Pics do.not do it justice, it seems to.float.

Musicgirl Sat 13-Mar-21 17:34:44

I held a koala ? in Queensland, Mr Peabody, and it remains one of the best experiences of my life. We went to Australia at Easter 2015 and it really was the holiday of a lifetime for me.

Lynda152 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:09:27

Liz46 - We did a group tour of Vietnam and Cambodia a few years ago. We spent several hours on a fast speedboat travelling up the Mekong river from Vietnam into Cambodia. Wonderful experience!

Forestflame Sat 13-Mar-21 16:58:54

I would love to go to Iceland,and stay in an ice hotel. Also Australia and Canada and Fiji. Would love to see the Northern lights and visit Scotland.
GrandMattie, I have been to the Falklands, saw Dolphins and ? it was amazing. Nanette1955, if you get the chance to go in a glider, grab it, I did and it was brilliant ☺️

GrauntyHelen Sat 13-Mar-21 16:46:40

I'd love a Northern Lights cruise and to get my husband to fly anywhere

choughdancer Sat 13-Mar-21 16:24:57

Fernhillnana

Using wild animals as “experiences” is a cruel and evil industry. Please don’t encourage this, animals suffer extreme torture to make them “tame” ie drugged and their spirits broken to make them safe for humans to torment. Just don’t.

I quite agree! There is no way that adult lions could be touched safely without them being drugged, de-clawed and/or trained not to follow their instincts. You only have to google 'petting a lion cub' to get page after page from reputable organisations saying that it is abuse however much the people offering this 'experience' might say otherwise.

scourw Sat 13-Mar-21 16:11:59

I would love to visit the Eden Project. Maybe even just in VR.

cupcake1 Sat 13-Mar-21 16:11:49

I have been lucky enough to go to Borneo and see in the wild orang-utans, pygmy elephants and other native animals and birds and it was amazing I loved it and definitely ticked that one off the bucket list. I’d go again in a heartbeat. Been on safari 3 times and each time magical. Cuddled a koala at Lone Pine Animal Sanctuary near Brisbane and been to the Great Barrier Reef and I’ve seen bears in Canada. I realise I’ve been very fortunate and take nothing for granted. Most of my travels consist of seeing animals in the wild as that’s my passion. I would love to see the mountain gorillas but doubt very much that will happen. I’ll just be happy to go into shops again and eat in a restaurant!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 13-Mar-21 15:37:15

I would love to travel overland from my house in Somerset to Japan. It can be done and I have already costed it out . Would need to go by the Tran Siberian railway and then a two day ferry crossing to Japan. We haven't gone because my health is not so good at the moment but it will improve, hopefully I can do it then. Would also like to see The red Square in Moscow during the winter.

lilydily9 Sat 13-Mar-21 15:33:24

Would love to experience travelling on the Orient Express. Maybe sometime...