Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Duke of Edinburgh.

(79 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:38:23

I've just read on Al Jazeera website, an article about the dreadful racism of Philip,.He doesn't try to offend, he IS offensive etc,giving many examples.
We have heard all this before and sometimes excused it as his sense of humour or his age.
In a way it's lucky he's out of the picture at the moment with allthats going on!

NellG Fri 12-Mar-21 23:21:10

Perhaps this might illustrate it : as demonstrated by Father Ted

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkL91LzCMc

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 23:06:31

It looks as if it was put in by an Indian was one of the phrases.

MaizieD Fri 12-Mar-21 22:57:53

Poor example, Galaxy.

'Slag' is everything I said (^ desire to insult or belittle or demean another racial group or a belief that he, P Philip, is in any way superior to that racial group^). It is intended as an insult and as an expression of superiority.

Referring to slitty eyes or throwing spears (though I must admit I haven't read the article cited in the OP as there was no link, so there may be more examples which do fit my criteria) is tactless and inappropriate, but where is the hate that is the basis of most racist discourse?

But if someone could post a link I should read the article, shouldn't I?

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 22:17:22

So say someone calls me a slag, it doesnt matter what their intention was the word causes me upset. What the motives are is irrelevant. I suppose there are very rare exceptions to this, such as dementia, or another condition which affects language processing, etc.

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 22:13:20

No I dont care what his motives were to be honest. I am not sure motives make any difference to those concerned. Using those words demeans people whatever the intention was.

MaizieD Fri 12-Mar-21 22:09:32

Galaxy

The words used by Prince Philip were racist. They did demean another racial group. There seems to be a tendency to minimise and explain away the racism. People seem to think they know the motives of people and I dont think it works like that.

Sorry, Galaxy, but you, too, seem to think you know the motives of people and what is more, you are putting the worst interpretation on them.

NellG Fri 12-Mar-21 21:06:43

Galaxy I think it's because the whole topic creates massive cognitive dissonance. We're only just finding out quite how offensive and oppressive we are and we don't like it one bit, so we're bending it back to where it's comfortable for us. BAME people don't have that choice or privilege.

kircubbin It's a massive shock to suddenly be told that we're not in charge of this any more and that we're not so innocent after all. I think if we treat people how we would like to be treated it's a good start. If I met you I might say you as a person look lovely, but I wouldn't dream of saying how well dressed you are, because it might imply I was surprised by it, which could be offensive to you.

kircubbin2000 Fri 12-Mar-21 20:48:11

There seems to be a new definition of racism now. My friend had to go on an unconscious bias course for work. She learnt that it was not acceptable to ask the bame member of a committee for her views if they were discussing a racial matter. This would imply that she would know what all bame people thought! Who knew?
Also to be careful with remarks like,your hair is lovely or how well dressed you are.

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 20:15:19

The words used by Prince Philip were racist. They did demean another racial group. There seems to be a tendency to minimise and explain away the racism. People seem to think they know the motives of people and I dont think it works like that.

NellG Fri 12-Mar-21 20:04:46

Care to expand Galaxy? Because I think people are seriously struggling with it. In fact, I may well be one of them!

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 19:59:40

There seems to be a very specific definition of racism that exists on GN, that is fairly different to everywhere else.

Gwyneth Fri 12-Mar-21 19:58:25

No problem Lexisgranny!

MaizieD Fri 12-Mar-21 19:38:48

I thought it had been made clear that the remarks about the child's possible colour were not made by the Queen or by Prince Philip.

The earlier remarks of Prince Philips which I've seen reported were ill judged and are not acceptable in this day and age, but what I can't see in them is any desire to insult or belittle or demean another racial group or a belief that he, P Philip, is in any way superior to that racial group. I really can't get terribly upset about them. Or him.

Lexisgranny Fri 12-Mar-21 19:21:48

Gwyneth, so sorry, delayed post, I was replying to Emily49.

Gwyneth Fri 12-Mar-21 18:35:17

The comment re Dunblane was unacceptable I agree.

Lucca Fri 12-Mar-21 18:23:14

I do think what he said about Dunblane was dreadful never mind it being 25 years ago.

That’s not a rant by the way

Gwyneth Fri 12-Mar-21 18:12:55

Actually Lexisgranny I wasn’t referring to your post but comments re what the Duke of Edinburgh said 50 years or so ago. I agree with your comment that it is sometimes difficult for elderly people to make that change. It doesn’t necessarily mean that they are racist, homophobic etc. But as I said in my previous post ‘dragging’ up comments attributed to the Duke made in a past age doesn’t always reflect the person’s current views. I’m sure we’ve all used expressions in the past that we would not use now. To give one example and I am merely using it as an example. In my teenage years the expression ‘are we getting a chinky tonight’ was used. It would never be used nowadays nor should it be. But it was commonly used about 50 years ago.

Lexisgranny Fri 12-Mar-21 17:49:01

Not at all, had you read carefully you would have seen that I said I said quite categorically that my comments were not intended as an excuse.

Gwyneth Fri 12-Mar-21 17:36:45

Agree with Monica and Merlotgran*. Why bring up stuff that happened years ago? It was very different then. I’m not saying that it was right but most people hopefully will have changed their views in this day and age. How far back do people want to go .......the Stone Age?

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 17:28:51

I am not even drinking at the moment Nell, it must be my serene nature.

Emily49 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:14:44

So are you giving older people with racist views a let out clause? “I don’t mean any harm, it’s just my way, we’ve always called them that, they know what I mean.....”

Lexisgranny Fri 12-Mar-21 17:08:09

Aristotle once said ‘Give me the child until he is 7 and I will show you the man’.

If you cast your mind back to the first and second world wars you will find all the nick names given to the French, the Italians, the Japanese, the Chinese and The Germans, then in everyday parlance and even now the term Yankee is regarded, by some, as being mildly offensive. The French gave us one - Les Rosbifs.

As a child I was strongly admonished for using the world ‘black’ which would be unkind to dark skinned people and told I must never use it, but substitute ‘coloured’ which was the polite way,

Recently two elderly ladies were discussing the fact that they are afraid of saying anything outside their homes because someone was always taking offence.

Now read my first paragraph. I’m not making excuses merely pointing out that the older you get the more difficult it is to change, and that ideas have changed over the years, though not necessarily for the better.

Norah Fri 12-Mar-21 16:47:41

Duke of E is old, in hospital, and irrelevant to today. Does anyone really care what insensitive, ignorant comments he made, what M&H told, or what W&Katie think?

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Mar-21 16:45:06

I did actually think I was ranting.....

My dander was up.....

NellG Fri 12-Mar-21 16:42:12

Galaxy if you can't spot the ranters I want some of whatever you're on because it must be pretty good stuff.

We don't achieve much, but it passes the time.