Duke of Edinburgh.

kircubbin2000 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:38:23

I've just read on Al Jazeera website, an article about the dreadful racism of Philip,.He doesn't try to offend, he IS offensive etc,giving many examples.
We have heard all this before and sometimes excused it as his sense of humour or his age.
In a way it's lucky he's out of the picture at the moment with allthats going on!

keepingquiet Fri 12-Mar-21 14:07:29

He's an old man and quite sick. He's from a generation of entitled privileged white men who never realise other people have feelings. Very insensitive arrogant and ignorant. No excuse who you are.

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 14:14:19

I am sure, like most people, his opions and attitudes have changed over the years.

I would hate to be confronted with some of my opinions as they were 40,50,60 years ago. Society has changed, I have changed.

ExD Fri 12-Mar-21 14:15:54

Spot on M0nica

Smileless2012 Fri 12-Mar-21 14:17:24

I've never excused or made light of the D of E's remarks and don't personally know anyone who has.

With all that's going on with H&M and his state of health is it really necessary to drag this up again? As you've posted kirkcubbin "we have heard all this before" and if there's a racist in the family it doesn't mean that everyone else in the family is a racist too.

It looks if there are some who don't want him to be "out of the picture at the moment" and despite his poor health are doing whatever they can to drag him into it.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 14:18:10

Is there anything on our websites/ news that corroborates with this ?

suziewoozie Fri 12-Mar-21 14:18:12

As well as his racism, he said the following when giving his opinion on the Snowdrop campaign to ban handguns after the beyond words tragedy of Dunblane. He’s a selfish, opinionated, out of touch, not very bright man who’s been a poor show as a father ( and it’s irrelevant he’s ill in hospital when criticising him).

If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean are you going to ban cricket bats?"

merlotgran Fri 12-Mar-21 14:21:28

Exactly, M0nica. Remember some of the sit-coms of the sixties and seventies? Attitudes have certainly changed.

I can't bring myself to criticise the Duke of Edinburgh as he remains in hospital, old, sick and frail. What is to be gained by focussing on his past gaffes. What good does it do?

I prefer to think fondly of the role he has played in supporting the Queen, modernising the RF and the success of the DofE Award Scheme.

Smileless2012 Fri 12-Mar-21 14:21:32

If only it could be irrelevant when criticising M's behaviour that she's of mixed race suziewoozie.

Namsnanny Fri 12-Mar-21 14:22:18

I agree with M0nica and Smileless.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 14:23:36

The man's more of a " gaff " merchant than a racist. He speaks out of turn which doesn't amount to him being racist, just a case of not engaging his brain before opening his mouth.

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 14:24:49

I am happy to ban hand guns, but I agree with the DoE 's comment.

Every time something like this happens, somebody jumps up to ban something and all that happens is that the next person committing such atrocities uses a different weapon - look at all the terror attacks where the weapon of choice was a kitchen knife - and how many people the knife wielders kill. What should they do? Ban knives and make us buy all our meat and veg ready prepared?

It would be better to address the reason the person did what they did and make sure that they get help/arrested/ detained in some other way before they do it.

Sorry, I am with the DoE in this comment

suziewoozie Fri 12-Mar-21 14:29:27

Just imagine, your 5 year old dgc went to school one day and never came home again. You joined a group fighting to ban handguns and to protect other peoples dgc and you heard him saying that on the radio. You’d have said, well there you go, different generation - he was only in his 60s then and we’d all seen many other school massacres in the states. All he cared about was his freedom to shoot and own guns being protected. As I said, selfish, no empathy and not even bright enough to know when to keep quiet

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 14:31:04

I'm with merlotgran.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 14:32:45

Too right*M0nica*.

Anniebach Fri 12-Mar-21 14:33:15

Agree *MOnica, .

I note no objection to ‘privileged white men’,

suziewoozie Fri 12-Mar-21 14:34:11

Monica it was not his role to pass opinions on that matter on national radio and especially on a matter where the self interest of him and his ilk was so nakedly obvious. And over an issue of such grief and heartbreak . The least he should have done was say absolutely nothing in public. . He had no right at all to a public opinion.

Anniebach Fri 12-Mar-21 14:39:56

Hand guns are not part of a shoot

Smileless2012 Fri 12-Mar-21 14:40:19

I had no idea you knew him well enough to know all that he cares about suziewoozie.

As for "not even bright enough to know when to keep quiet" IMO that's just, if not more applicable to his GS and his GS's wife, in terms of washing their dirty linen in public.

Anniebach Fri 12-Mar-21 14:40:45

No right to a public opinion ?

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 14:43:40

" no right to a public opinion ?" . It's alright for MM then ?

suziewoozie Fri 12-Mar-21 14:44:22

Anniebach

No right to a public opinion ?

Absolutely no right at all on this issue.

suziewoozie Fri 12-Mar-21 14:45:08

EllanVannin

Whatsboutery - not going there.

suziewoozie Fri 12-Mar-21 14:46:57

Smileless2012

And again - not going there. What’s that about two wrongs not making a right?

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Mar-21 14:52:05

M0nica

Not the best time to make such comments.

25 years ago tomorrow.