Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mouldy bathroom floor

(13 Posts)
Buffybee Sun 25-Apr-21 14:15:29

Is the plumber the same one who fitted the bath? If so, I would employ a new plumber to see if they can find the problem.
Just a thought but if it’s an over the bath shower, could water be coming over the side when using the shower?
As others have advised, I would take up the cushion floor and start from there. It won’t be too much to replace if only a small bathroom. Cheaper than changing the bath for a shower anyway.

4allweknow Sun 25-Apr-21 13:42:26

If there are definitely no leaks the mould is probably due to moisture trapped in the vinyl flooring. Is the floor level? Moisture in a bathroom can find its way on a colder surface and if not dried out will eventually cause mould. Assume the room is kept well ventilated and warm?

EllanVannin Sat 27-Mar-21 19:05:00

Both---shower and a bath. Shower in the morning, bath at night.

Returnofthemc Sat 27-Mar-21 18:06:06

Oh and just as an aside, we use a karcher to dry the walls and glass after every shower, just to try and offset any water seepage (what a horrid word) ?

Returnofthemc Sat 27-Mar-21 18:01:32

I reiterate taking your cushion floor up, to see what's going on underneath, cleaning any mould and keep the window open to ventilate
Also I would contact whoever installed your bath and request that they kindly investigate the leaks
We removed our bath several years ago and replaced it with a large walk in shower and never regretted it

rugbymumcumbria Sat 27-Mar-21 18:00:42

We had our bath taken a out and a shower installed. Some how water gets under the lino (inc splashes that run down the skirting) and the mould has come through the Lino in several places. Only thing to do is replace it.

Purpledaffodil Sat 27-Mar-21 17:35:54

Don’t think lack of a bath is very significant these days. We bought our house 27 years ago and it was notorious in the road as “the house without a Bath”. We had one put in but it was seldom used and tbh wish we hadn’t bothered. Were quoted £12k to replace Bath with walk through shower! Have different priorities ?

Calendargirl Sat 27-Mar-21 16:29:48

On a different tack.

We are going to update our bathroom. Will remove the bath, never use it, and have a walk-in shower.

Not bothered about re-sale value. We hope to stay here until we die, and shower will be far more user friendly than a bath.

Auntieflo Sat 27-Mar-21 16:20:58

Just a thought Stoker48, if the black marks are not coming from the bath leaks; have you cleaned your cushion-flooring, with a steam mop?
My friend did this and black marks appeared through her flooring.

mumstheword86 Sat 27-Mar-21 13:29:29

Take up the cushion flooring straight away and see what is underneath mold only comes with damp and warmth so somewhere you have to get to the bottom of it Mould spores are dangerous you can kill them with bleach but always must find out the cause.get cracking today take up that cushion flooring asap

Ro60 Thu 25-Mar-21 23:11:28

How odd. No never had this problem. I'd get in touch with the original installer of the bath. After only 2 years surely it should still be under guarantee?

Kate54 Thu 25-Mar-21 23:00:27

Can’t see that a bit of mould is enough of a reason to get rid of a bath but then I hate showers! I’d just get your plumber to fix the leak. If you’ve got an over -bath shower, you have the best of both worlds. Taking the bath out would also reduce your pool of potential buyers.

Stoker48 Thu 25-Mar-21 22:25:41

Had my small bathroom replaced less than 2 years ago. I debated whether to get rid of the bath and just have proper shower ( no room for both) but decided against this as I was hoping to move. I thought bath would appeal to young families etc.
Well, I haven’t moved so I really regret my decision now.
Added to this, I’ve had 3 separate leaks from new bath.
I now see creeping mould appearing under my newish cushion flooring.
I can’t see any obvious “ mould water trails” but can’t see what else can be causing it. The patches are getting bigger.
Plumber has asked what I want to do......He has taken bath panel off for the moment so I can ensure no further leaks.
My question is two fold
1) Have you ever experienced similar mould issues?
2) Should I bite the bullet and get rid of the bath, even though it’s not that old, and have shower put in?
Any advice would be very welcome. I feel a bit floored ( no pun intended) by it all.