Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I resent MIl, advice

(54 Posts)
AbbieS9812 Mon 29-Mar-21 11:17:07

Hi everyone, im not a nan but wanted to ask here to get different perspectives. I want to understand her point of view because i feel like our relationship is strained and i dont like it. I have a gut feeling she is resenting me, but im also resenting her. We had a great relationship and we still do but theres an unspoken tension and i want to sort it. MIL has put a lot of pressure on me to forefil her expectations of being a nan such as sleep overs, days babysitting etc. At times it felt like she cared more about makeing my baby more available for babysitting then she did about our needs as baby and mum. It's pushed me away and made me shun the idea of MIL haveing LO. If she wasnt so pushy I'd of been more open to the idea.

Im going to try shorten it, sorry if its a bit rushed. Im just going to try give an idea of everything

Im in my early 20s with my first child who is now 14 months old . I dont work and am a stay at home mum, i know im really lucky.
When i got pregnant MIL would tell me she was excited to have her over when she was born, telling me that i should book a meal 3 days ater birth and leave LO with her. Trying to get us to go on holiday with her to a cottage, 6 hours away when LO was 6 weeks old. She would tell me how me and partner can go for a walk and leave leave LO with her at the cottage.. when we said no, the holiday never happened. She spoke about doing extra hours at work to take days off to babysit. Talking about buying a cosleeper for sleepovers at her house. This is an idea of the things she would bring up at EVERY conversation. I was happy my soon to be babys nan was eager but at the same time, I was a first time mum and all these expectations to give up my child up before she was born made me anxious.

When baby was born, she picked us up from the hospital and for appointments such as jaundice, check ups etc I was groggy, tired, in pain but I was trying my best. During these car rides she would just tell me how I should teach LO to be on the bottle instead of just the breast so others can have her. Telling me she will become to attached to me and wont be able to go to others. That is mean to not give others a chance to feed LO as they are missing out on that bonding. Telling me to give dummys so she doesnt need the breast. One day in the car, I was sick if hearing the same comments and constantly justifying my parenting. I snapped and got really moody, my replies became very short and snappy. we all went silent and MIl had tears in her eyes. My partner got annoyed at me for speaking to his mum like that, but no one was considering how bad i was feeling and how much these comments were getting to me. She would call up to 10 times a day, even at 7am after being up all night and just getting to sleep 2 hours ago. These calls woke everyone up. I eventually i put all the phones on silent. She lives down the road so was always knocking and makeing up excuses to come round. I felt smothered. Every time she saw me I'd get atleast one critique and one reason I should do things differently so others can have LO. I was going through really bad PND, my partner was not supportive. He didnt help with the house work, baby duties or give any emotional support. It was all on me and I was struggling (things are better now) LO took a while to learn how to breastfeed so i was constantly back and fourth to the doctors but it sure gave MIL a reason to keep bringing up about letting others feed LO. I was trying so hard and all I felt from MIL was negativity, feeling smothered and her trying to control and manipulate me when I was in such a bad place. But at the same time she was really helping us out by fetching stuff from the shop, bringing some new baby clothes, comeing back from visiting my family and seeing a spotless house, being their to take me places as I dont drive. Out of the horrible pressures, she is a lovely woman but I feel like the negativity stuck with me more.
6 weeks after birth covid happened. When LO was born I said no smoking near her, wash hands before touching her. She questioned this, we were at a hospital appointment and had to stay a couple night. She was there messaging my partner how selfish this was and how she is sorry for putting my partner in the middle? No ones in the middle??? MiL came to the door with one of her sons who began smoking and the wind was blowing it all over my babys face. I pointed it out and mil went "hahahaha yh she doesnt like that, better go over there" in a sarcastic, mocking tone. I feel like she lacked respect for my wishes.

When covid hit, wed still get constant door knocks but after relising her comments were haveing no impact because I was sticking to exclusively breastfeeding and now she couldnt babysit, her comments changed to telling me i should stop holding LO so much incase she gets too attached and others cant have her after lockdown. Dummys were constantly being brought up because I didnt want to use them, my baby has never needed one but I'd still get the talk about how it soothed another baby to sleep. Shes now saying that when lockdown is over she can have her. She even started telling me how she could go in to hold minding as she has the qualifications, that she might change job and she would be qualified to her LO. FIL said, shut up shes just saying that because she wants LO.. she never shuts up. At this point I'm getting really annoyed with the pressure and I messaged her telling her that I'm not ready to leave LO yet but I'm grateful she loves her and wants to be involved. I wanted her to know that I love her but wasnt ready.

Despite tons of other comments, i shut myself off and accepted it as her trying to pass on parenting experience. I relised that maybe she was just trying to help. She eventually stops talking about babysitting but now I've been going round to hers on Saturdays and sundays, shes bringing it up again. 7 people live at mils house, LO screams at every single one of them apart from MIL because of the little contact shes had during lockdown. Not long ago we had another conversation about it. she just kept bringing up other nans and how they all get their grandkids for nights etc and how it's unfair she cant. I explain that LO isnt ready and until she is, I wont be. She has spent most her life in lockdown, those mums required baby sitting, I didnt. But despite the talks, every weekend she offers to have LO for a couple hours and I have to constantly repeat myself about why LO isnt ready and that she needs to get used to you all first. When I see MILs sisters, they ask me weather I'm going to let her have LO for a sleepover, if I'm ever going to leave LO with her etc
I'm starting to get really annoyed. I love her but I resent her. When LO is ready I will be ready to leave LO with MIl for one and one bonding but the more she pushes the more I'm retracting. The more I'm starting to not like her company. Shes even talking through her sisters which tells me shes been talking about it to them.

MIL has said that when she had her sons, she left for work at 7am and got home at 5pm. She only saw them for a bit in the morning and 2 hours after work. Her kids main care giver was her mum. MIls sisters kids are now heavily looked after by their mum when they work too. I think she sees being a nan as more of a coparenting role, that now she has more free time she can make up for the time lost with her sons. I love her spending time with my LO but my baby doesnt need 2 mums.

When Lo is with MIl I see the love in her eyes as she watches her play. I adore it. But at the same time I resent her for makeing me feel so smothered at a time when I was struggling, it's like she was watching me drown and used it as a way to manipulate me. It's like she cared more about her need to make up for time and experience being a mum again, then she did about us. I dont want to compete with a secound mum, but that's how she makes me feel. I hate her company when before I loved it. I love MIl, I really do.. I dont want to resent her. Why does she keep pushing and pushing

Thistlelass Fri 02-Apr-21 09:44:31

I like the fact you say you love your MIL and so you and your husband should avoid cutting her off. I think I would get husband's support on board here. Ladies please - this man loves and respects his Mum, this being one of the factors that makes him a loving dad and partner. Who was it who first showed him love? So I think you both must insist that the parenting advice stops. You can tell her, with your partner's help, that you are finding everything stressful at the moment. Just advise her you are following the best possible guidelines for raising a baby in 2021. Talk about building a healthy attachment between her and the child. I wonder if at some point you and your MIL could maybe go have lunch together and chat in a more relaxed atmosphere. You love this woman and she likely loves you. Just as you are learning to be a mum she is learning to be a grandmother to your child. I wish you good luck xx

Smileless2012 Fri 02-Apr-21 10:01:56

Great post Thistlelasssmile. What good does cutting off do?
Problems need to be dealt with, not run away from. I'm not saying that this is case here as I don't think it is, but I've seen posts on GN where the underlying issue is the H's relationship with his mother.

"this man loves and respects his Mum, this being one of the factors that makes him a loving dad and partner"; exactly. Coming between a parent and their AC should always be the very last resort once everything else has been tried and even then, there's no reason why the son/daughter can't continue their relationship with their parent(s) without their partner being involved.

mokryna Fri 02-Apr-21 19:55:47

I think, if you have the cash, learn to drive so that you are not beholden for lifts to the doctors and other essential trips in the future. However, that may have been a one off because you were not feeling a hundred percent fit and you live in a place which has a good public transport system.

Atqui Fri 02-Apr-21 22:00:02

TLDR

welbeck Fri 02-Apr-21 22:58:26

? what's that

GrannyRose15 Fri 02-Apr-21 23:04:06

The wife - MiL relationship always has it's problems. Try not to let her comments get to you. Hold your ground - you sound like you are doing great as a mum. Babies under 3 do not need to spend time with other carers unless mum and dad want them to. I do think that your DH needs to take a bigger role in explaining the situation to his mother . Stick with letting MiL having some time with the child, you never know when you might need her help, but make sure it is on your terms.
Above all I think you should try to become more confident in your own abilities.

welbeck Fri 02-Apr-21 23:07:20

i wouldn't trust her with the child.
make sure you don't need her for anything.
learn to drive or get taxis, use friends.

Readerjb Sat 03-Apr-21 08:51:10

" I don't think so"
This was my go-to response, when all I really wanted to do was scream NOOO!!!!
If MIL is asking/suggesting something you don't want to do, a quiet and respectful "I don't think so" puts an end to things. No need for any apologies or explanations.
Good luck

Lucca Sat 03-Apr-21 09:04:59

welbeck

? what's that

It apparently stands for “too long, didn’t read”. Extremely rude and utterly pointless, in my opinion.

Boogaloo Sat 03-Apr-21 21:13:49

WOW!

"During these car rides she would just tell me how I should teach LO to be on the bottle instead of just the breast so others can have her. Telling me she will become to attached to me and wont be able to go to others. That is mean to not give others a chance to feed LO as they are missing out on that bonding. Telling me to give dummys so she doesnt need the breast"

I would have wanted to smack my MIL, or anyone, if they said this to me when I had a baby. Your baby is your baby. I'd never leave a child of mine alone with her. She doesn't respect you as a mother and besides they are irresponsible and a danger - blowing cigarette smoke on a baby??!!

You wrote that she left her children with her mother all day and her daughter is doing the same, which makes me wonder if it their culture. For no real reason my brother-in-law was raised by his grandmother, as was his siblings and cousins - 17 of them. When he became a grandfather he was very surprised when his daughter-in-law didn't leave the baby with them. He actually asked why the new baby was going home with its mother and not staying with them!

Tell her no! There is no need to come up with a reason.

allsortsofbags Sun 04-Apr-21 00:08:16

Wow, I'm not sure how you do this but I think you need to find some support for yourself.

What you are being subjected to is Psychological Abuse and it needs to stop. This is Bullying.

Look up Psychological Abuse, educate yourself about what is really happening and what you are really dealing with.

When your MiL mentions sleep overs, leaving LO with her, dummies or any of those things say to her

"You do realise this is Psychological Abuse and it needs to STOP".

Practice saying it, get used to saying it.

It shocks people when you point out in simple words what is happening.

Do Not be talked down, ridiculed, laughed at, told you don't know what you are talking about, (get yourself Educated on this) or that it's a load of tosh, psychobabble. Do not let yourself be Gaslighted - look it up.

From what you have said I'd say your MiL is far, far too pushy and your Husband needs educating on how to be a Husband and a Father.

He needs to be setting Boundaries to protect his family, that's you and his baby. He doesn't have to be mean, disrespectful or nasty to his mother but he is the one who needs set out how things are going to be.

He isn't understanding how the stress of dealing with his mother and brothers is affecting you, his child and may be in the end yours and his relationship.

Until he steps up you are on your own fighting very hard for your right to have your baby/parenting the way you want.

You are a young mum and it must feel very lonely and you don't need to be dealing with this Bullying on your own.

Talk to your GP, tell them what you are dealing with re your MiL. I think you are under a lot of stress and could may be benefit from some counselling and or Assertiveness Training.

Then tell your MiL that her constant demands have stressed you out so much you've told the Dr what she is doing. Then tell your husband that you've told the Dr how is letting you be treated.

This is psychological abuse and it needs to stop. (just in case you missed it the first time)

When things open up again get yourself into a Mum & Baby/Toddler group to get some support from other Mums.

If you are serious about dealing with the situation get smart, get informed and get your support in place, be that your parents, your friends, the GP, counselling, Mums groups and so on.

Being told you are not being unreasonable by people is one things but taking action to keep yourself safe is what you can do for yourself. Good Luck

Jane43 Sun 04-Apr-21 09:33:33

I feel so sad for you that your experience of motherhood is being spoiled. There is some useful advice here but without your husband’s support it will be very difficult. I wish you well and as for somebody responding with TLDR after pouring your heart out- words fail me, excelt be thankful that that person isn’t your MIL.

Madgran77 Sun 04-Apr-21 18:29:32

The wife - MiL relationship always has it's problems

No it doesn't. Some do, some don't, and reasons for either are different in every case!

Madgran77 Sun 04-Apr-21 18:42:20

Abbie

1. I think you need to sit down with your husband and clearly explain all this as you have done in your post
2. You need to decide as a COUPLE how you are going to deal with the problem TOGETHER
3. Then you both need to implement that agreed strategy consistently

Some responses to the repetitive "lectures" might be:

"You have told me that before. I have told you that we do not agree. **.is what we have agreed is right for ( your child)" and just keep repeating that if she carries on

"I know you think *! We don't" ....and repeat!

"Why do you keep telling me things that you have told me before?" ....'I am wondering if you think we will change our minds if you keep repeating yourself. We wont"

When it comes to comments like the obnoxious one about smoking...."Yes please DO move away out if the room. We do NOT want anyone smoking around our child". If any sort of nasty comment comes back or particularly if the smoking continues, pick up your child and your belongings and leave saying " we will NOT tolerate smoking around our child"

Good luck. flowers

Summerlove Mon 05-Apr-21 17:27:36

Smileless2012

Great post Thistlelasssmile. What good does cutting off do?
Problems need to be dealt with, not run away from. I'm not saying that this is case here as I don't think it is, but I've seen posts on GN where the underlying issue is the H's relationship with his mother.

"this man loves and respects his Mum, this being one of the factors that makes him a loving dad and partner"; exactly. Coming between a parent and their AC should always be the very last resort once everything else has been tried and even then, there's no reason why the son/daughter can't continue their relationship with their parent(s) without their partner being involved.

The problem is, problems can only be resolved if someone changes.

If mil thinks she’s in the right, she won’t change, and instead will complain about eggshell walking.

She’d need to be open to listening

Atqui Mon 05-Apr-21 18:26:43

Sorry my comment was very rude. Must have been having a bad day but no excuse .

Smileless2012 Mon 05-Apr-21 18:41:25

I disagree Summerlove but that will come as no surprisesmile. Problems can only be resolved if people listen, make changes where applicable and look for compromises.

A compromise in the OP's case may be for her to withdraw from the relationship with her m.i.l. and leave her H to continue his relationship with his parents.

B9exchange Mon 05-Apr-21 22:41:11

Abbie it sounds as you are a wonderful mum, just lacking the support you should be given from those around you. All power to you for being so understanding, many people would not have been.

I am curious as to your own parents role in this, perhaps they are no longer around, in which case I am sorry, but it would help to know what their thoughts are?

Your DH needs to understand that his family comes first, and he must support you in your decisions. Time for him to grow up and be a man.

You need to sit down with MiL and firmly tell her what you expect from her, and what she is doing that upsets you. Certainly reassure her that you value the love she has for your baby, but make it plain that you have no need for childcare at this stage, though you might well welcome it in the years to come. If you love her, tell her so, that she means a lot to you, and you will respect her so much more if she will adhere to your wishes.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 06-Apr-21 10:42:38

I understand what you’re saying smileless, but in our case, my MIL would not listen. We spent years trying to talk things through, but she was basically in denial. In her eyes, there was nothing wrong, and she was acting appropriately. You would obviously love the chance to talk...the other side of the coin. What I would have given for a MIL like that! I always feel we’re all paired up with the wrong people!

Smileless2012 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:33:06

I often feel that way too DiscoDancersmileespecially when I read some of the lovey posts from d's.i.l. and think 'if only'.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:44:27

"If only" Smileless ...I think many think that at times ...not least if they are completely confused as to why they are dealing with the situation, behaviours, mixed messages or whatevers that they are dealing with! confused hmm

ValerieF Tue 06-Apr-21 20:01:45

I seem to remember this from a a while ago??? Could be wrong and if so, I apologize. The problem is ongoing no matter what advice given.

Smileless2012 Tue 06-Apr-21 20:23:03

It's enough to drive you insane Madgran and there are times I wonder in my case, if it hashmm.

sazz1 Fri 09-Apr-21 23:20:23

For a start dont leave your LO with her. She will probably give bottles, dummies and smoke nearby.
The next time she starts with advise say I will definitely ask you if I dont know anything but atm I'm getting good advice from my heath visitor and my mum.
Tell her straight you won't be leaving LO with anyone overnight for a few years yet next time she asks.
Explain to your DH you are at breaking point with his mother, you don't want her calling in more than once a week, or constantly ringing you. Don't answer when she rings just send busy signal.
Your next step would be no contact if she doesn't back off. If she has your key change the locks.
It's affecting your marriage so your OH needs to back you or move out back to his mother.
Nobody can cope with the level of interference that you have been putting up with.

sazz1 Fri 09-Apr-21 23:25:20

Forgot to say this lady doesn't have much love for you or she wouldn't be doing this. She's manipulating you and trying to control you and take over the child imo