Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please about Skechers shoes

(38 Posts)
Sunnyoutlook Fri 02-Apr-21 09:55:01

I have posted on the Health thread about a heel problem I have after wearing Skechers. Do any of you find that while they’re very squashy they offer very little support?

Nansnet Wed 06-Oct-21 05:55:43

I used to love wearing heels, and shoes with wedges. Unfortunately, I now suffer from plantar fasciitis, and I've been on a mission to find shoes that are both comfortable, and supportive. I have several pairs of Skechers with varying levels of supportiveness, and I particularly like the Go Walk Arch Fit, which is apparently a podiatrist-designed shape. I did buy a pair of Vionic sandals but I found the soles way too hard, inflexible and uncomfortable for my particular problem.

My issue is that whilst these types of sensible and supportive shoes are fine for walking/general day to day wear, what about when I have a nice occasion to attend, such as a wedding, and I need to dress up? I find that I can no longer wear my ordinary shoes anymore without ending up with a LOT of foot pain, but I can hardly turn up to a wedding in a lovely dress wearing my Skechers! Can anyone recommend any shoe manufacturers who actually design nice looking shoes, that look feminine for special occasions? I'm only in my late 50s, and I don't want to have to wear sensible, frumpy looking shoes for the rest of my life, particularly not for special occasions.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 22:11:52

lemsip

I find my Hotter 'Whisper' boots and hotter shoes...... uncomfortable and can't wear them, a waste of money.....

Oh that’s a shame, I love mine.
I also love my Skechers and they have revolutionised my walking.Horses for courses isn’t it, as all our feet /hips are different.

Scones Tue 05-Oct-21 16:25:30

I have had Sketcher trainer type shoes which I find very comfortable. However, I bought a pair of Sketcher leather sandals this summer and have stopped wearing them. They are very soft underfoot and comfy at first, but they were so 'squidgy' I found them tiring to walk in, as though I was walking on sinky, soft sand all the time.

Very interesting to hear that other posters saying they might have exacerbated hip problems. Whilst I was trying to get used to my sandals I had a sore hip. I didn't put two and two together, but now I'm wearing other shoes (Moshulu plimsolls, Aigle walking boots and Josef Siebl sandals - all VERY comfy and supportive) the pain in my hip has gone.

annodomini Tue 05-Oct-21 14:01:43

Reported 12.54 post. Old thread resurrected for advertising purpose.

lemsip Tue 05-Oct-21 13:58:30

I find my Hotter 'Whisper' boots and hotter shoes...... uncomfortable and can't wear them, a waste of money.....

Mollygo Tue 05-Oct-21 13:26:06

I wear Skecher lace up trainers for long or short walks and so far no problems. It’s been interesting to read about the other makes though. My mum swears by Hotter shoes but the only pair I ever bought weren’t comfortable.

DavidSmail Tue 05-Oct-21 12:54:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 19:36:30

I do wear Skechers mesh lace ups all day and agree they are comfy and are far more supportive than slippers or slip-on shoes but if I was walking etc I would wear something more sturdy.

Soozikinzi Fri 02-Apr-21 18:54:37

I decided to do my usual 4 mile dog walk in my sketchers the other day instead of my proper walking boots in the Hope I would walk a bit faster . I regretted it the day after and returned to my boots ! They were the slip on mesh type admittedly- but ended up with all kinds of odd foot pain - never again . So yes I agree !

Fennel Fri 02-Apr-21 18:35:44

The Skechers I wear for walking are fine for support. but the one I wear as slippers has rubbed up my heel into a blister.
Now lost .

Daisymae Fri 02-Apr-21 18:23:56

Sketchers are fine when you first put them on but in my experience they are as supportive as a pair of slippers. The best shoes I've had are from Mephisto. Cost a lot but last for years and are the last word in support.

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 17:36:34

Having read this thread I've just re ordered some Vionic trainers. Hope they fit better (I've gone up a half size!)

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 16:33:52

Some Skechers are fine - I've just had a Skecher trainer bending session.

The mesh ones are bendy but the others are quite firm.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 02-Apr-21 16:05:01

I love my sketchers, however my podiatrist who I see every few months says they are not supportive so are not good for my feet,

cornergran Fri 02-Apr-21 16:01:44

My Vionic trainers are incredibly comfortable, seem to help with both knee and spinal pain, a real bonus. They were bought in a closing down sale, real bargain.

Blossoming Fri 02-Apr-21 15:32:35

Ooh, this is an interesting discussion! I still suffer from foot drop in my left foot, worse when I’m tired. While I do need support I also need a flexible sole that enables the muscles in my left foot to raise the toes so my foot doesn’t drag and I don’t trip. The best shoes I’ve found so far are Merrell but I think I’ll have a look at Skechers. Podiatrists may not like them but neurophysios probably would approve.

jaylucy Fri 02-Apr-21 15:04:00

I have 2 pairs of Skechers and also a trapped nerve in my right hip.
I have found them very supportive for both my feet and my hip and they are my go to shoes if I expect to standing or walking for any amount of time .
But there is a large range of styles that are designed to be worn for doing different things and some have a slightly less squishy heel cup than others.
A friend of mine treated herself to a pair of Vionics and she wishes she had more as they are pretty expensive but she reckons they are worth every penny.

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 14:53:06

Here's my Vionic slippers. It's from their website and looks considerably daintier than the real thing. DH calls them my Flinstones slippers. They are cosy and very supportive though.

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 14:33:07

Thanks, Aveline and Jinty64

I wore the Meindl pair this morning, just to do some gardening, but found them quite hard work!

Jinty64 Fri 02-Apr-21 13:30:00

Callistemon

Jinty64

I find ASICS or Brooks stability trainers or walking shoes to be the most supportive without needing broken in. I notice Hotter are now doing some stability shoes although I haven’t tried them yet.

I think one podiatrist I saw recommended ASICS, Jinty and she recommended going to have them fitted properly.
Are they quite deep? I have to fit in the orthotics.
That is a problem at the moment, shops being shut.

I looked at the other thread and someone recommended a support for the Achilles heel which might be a good idea. Be careful for the time being, though, and rest it.

Many of the ASICS have a removable insole so that you can fit your own. My son wears an orthotic insole and that’s what he does. Our local sports shop has been very good for advice although I have just ordered my last two pairs online. Beware though ASICS and brooks both run small. I’m a 7 and need 7.5 or 8 in both.

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 12:32:29

I ordered a pair online Callistemon but found that they didn't fit well. They were the same size as the Vionic slippers and sandals which were fine. I decided to wait until I could actually try on trainers in a shop. I do like the very firm moulded soles on the Vionic slippers and sandals and had high hopes of the trainers. They're 'podiatry recommended'.

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 12:26:18

Has anyone tried Vionic trainers?
Apparently some have an inbuilt arch support

(I have an advert popping up on my screen now)

Cabbie21 Fri 02-Apr-21 12:20:46

I bought insoles when I had plantar fasciitis and always wore supportive shoes. I still wear insoles and “ proper” shoes, except around the house, which nowadays is most of the time. I am sure I have lots of shoes I shall never wear again? Sorry,I have never tried Sketchers.

susytish Fri 02-Apr-21 12:08:52

I have arthritis in right knee. I think my foot has changed to account for that. My sock moves from one side of foot to the other, sometimes does 360°! Which walking shoes do I buy?! I have read so much as to what to buy and am now. confused!!

annodomini Fri 02-Apr-21 12:02:04

I have a pair of Skechers lace-up trainers which give me adequate support. The slip-on trainers, however, are much less supportive, so if you are contemplating buying a pair, go for the lace-ups.