Advice please about Skechers shoes

Sunnyoutlook Fri 02-Apr-21 09:55:01

I have posted on the Health thread about a heel problem I have after wearing Skechers. Do any of you find that while they’re very squashy they offer very little support?

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 10:09:45

I have a few pairs of Skechers because they are comfy and, I thought, supportive, Sunnyoutlook.

However, when I saw the podiatrist she thought a couple of pairs I bought could be too soft to be supportive. Her advice was, for a really supportive trainer, you must not be able to bend it far, ie bend the toe inwards towards the heel- it should not have too much give.

I do have two pairs of Skechers which are not 'bendy' and I use them for walking but do wear the softer ones around the house.
I also have another pair of Meindl trainers but find them very unyielding as if they need to be broken in.

However, I do have very difficult feet.

Is it sharp pain in the Achilles tendon area or under the heel eg plantar fasciitis?
It's not easy to get an appointment with GP or podiatrist at the moment but perhaps you could phone for advice if the pain doesn't go.

Sunnyoutlook Fri 02-Apr-21 10:24:29

Callistemon thank you for your reply. The pain is at the back of the heel not underneath. I seem to remember last summer there was a thread about unsupportive Skechers. I shall phone my GP after the Easter holiday if there’s no improvement.

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 10:44:47

I do love my Skechers but I've had to give them a rest as they're not supportive at all and my hip is paying the price. I'm now wearing a very supportive pair of Clarks 'Trigenic' trainers for walking.
I bought Vionic sandals and slippers which have really straightened out my gait.

henetha Fri 02-Apr-21 11:00:53

I'm a Sketchers wearer and find them very comfortable.
However, I do find that some models are less supportive than I would like them to be. Particularly an open fronted pair, sort of like ballerina type shoes. I seem to float about like a drunken sailor when I wear them. I'm all at sea!
But my others which are like a trainer with a zip-up front are much better.
(no insult intended to sailors!)

Elusivebutterfly Fri 02-Apr-21 11:05:48

I have plantar fascitis with pain at the back of the heel. I cannot wear soft shoes at all any more. I wear supportive Ecco or Hotter lace ups indoors and out and, together with daily stretches, no longer have pain. Clarks Trigenic are also too soft for me, though comfortable.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 02-Apr-21 11:09:29

While I do love my Skechers shoes - maybe too comfy!! A podiatrist recommended "Brookes Adrenaline Walkers". Not cheap, but worth every penny!!

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 11:21:29

elusivebutterfly my Clarks Trigenics are a few years old. I only recently found them in my cupboard. They are very stiff indeed. They feel like they have industrial toecaps! It's unfortunate that they are a horrible flamingo pink so I can't think why I bought them but they really help!

Jaxjacky Fri 02-Apr-21 11:34:32

Just been to check the bend in mine Callistemon both bend the toe to the top of the lace, all my Skechers have proper laces I lace quite firmly. As we’re not really going anywhere I don’t wear them for that long, I do have an older pair, with a bend, I used to wear for 6 hours on my feet waitressing. I’ve never had any problems. I don’t wear them in the house

Jinty64 Fri 02-Apr-21 11:43:08

I find ASICS or Brooks stability trainers or walking shoes to be the most supportive without needing broken in. I notice Hotter are now doing some stability shoes although I haven’t tried them yet.

nanna8 Fri 02-Apr-21 11:46:36

I have got several pairs of Skechers, they are very comfortable and light. I don’t have any foot problems, though and I could imagine they might not give a great deal of support if extra support is needed.

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 12:00:56

Jinty64

I think one podiatrist I saw recommended ASICS, Jinty and she recommended going to have them fitted properly.
Are they quite deep? I have to fit in the orthotics.
That is a problem at the moment, shops being shut.

I looked at the other thread and someone recommended a support for the Achilles heel which might be a good idea. Be careful for the time being, though, and rest it.

annodomini Fri 02-Apr-21 12:02:04

I have a pair of Skechers lace-up trainers which give me adequate support. The slip-on trainers, however, are much less supportive, so if you are contemplating buying a pair, go for the lace-ups.

susytish Fri 02-Apr-21 12:08:52

I have arthritis in right knee. I think my foot has changed to account for that. My sock moves from one side of foot to the other, sometimes does 360°! Which walking shoes do I buy?! I have read so much as to what to buy and am now. confused!!

Cabbie21 Fri 02-Apr-21 12:20:46

I bought insoles when I had plantar fasciitis and always wore supportive shoes. I still wear insoles and “ proper” shoes, except around the house, which nowadays is most of the time. I am sure I have lots of shoes I shall never wear again? Sorry,I have never tried Sketchers.

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 12:26:18

Has anyone tried Vionic trainers?
Apparently some have an inbuilt arch support

(I have an advert popping up on my screen now)

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 12:32:29

I ordered a pair online Callistemon but found that they didn't fit well. They were the same size as the Vionic slippers and sandals which were fine. I decided to wait until I could actually try on trainers in a shop. I do like the very firm moulded soles on the Vionic slippers and sandals and had high hopes of the trainers. They're 'podiatry recommended'.

Jinty64 Fri 02-Apr-21 13:30:00

Callistemon

Jinty64

Many of the ASICS have a removable insole so that you can fit your own. My son wears an orthotic insole and that’s what he does. Our local sports shop has been very good for advice although I have just ordered my last two pairs online. Beware though ASICS and brooks both run small. I’m a 7 and need 7.5 or 8 in both.

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 14:33:07

Thanks, Aveline and Jinty64

I wore the Meindl pair this morning, just to do some gardening, but found them quite hard work!

Aveline Fri 02-Apr-21 14:53:06

Here's my Vionic slippers. It's from their website and looks considerably daintier than the real thing. DH calls them my Flinstones slippers. They are cosy and very supportive though.

jaylucy Fri 02-Apr-21 15:04:00

I have 2 pairs of Skechers and also a trapped nerve in my right hip.
I have found them very supportive for both my feet and my hip and they are my go to shoes if I expect to standing or walking for any amount of time .
But there is a large range of styles that are designed to be worn for doing different things and some have a slightly less squishy heel cup than others.
A friend of mine treated herself to a pair of Vionics and she wishes she had more as they are pretty expensive but she reckons they are worth every penny.

Blossoming Fri 02-Apr-21 15:32:35

Ooh, this is an interesting discussion! I still suffer from foot drop in my left foot, worse when I’m tired. While I do need support I also need a flexible sole that enables the muscles in my left foot to raise the toes so my foot doesn’t drag and I don’t trip. The best shoes I’ve found so far are Merrell but I think I’ll have a look at Skechers. Podiatrists may not like them but neurophysios probably would approve.

cornergran Fri 02-Apr-21 16:01:44

My Vionic trainers are incredibly comfortable, seem to help with both knee and spinal pain, a real bonus. They were bought in a closing down sale, real bargain.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 02-Apr-21 16:05:01

I love my sketchers, however my podiatrist who I see every few months says they are not supportive so are not good for my feet,

Callistemon Fri 02-Apr-21 16:33:52

Some Skechers are fine - I've just had a Skecher trainer bending session.

The mesh ones are bendy but the others are quite firm.