Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shredding Toilet Paper

(27 Posts)
Naninka Mon 05-Apr-21 11:50:40

I realise this is a "1st world problem" (as my daughter would say) but I didn't used to spend time hoovering up little shreds of loo roll from the floor around the toilet.
Is this only me and, if not, may I enquire as to what brand is dust-free, shred-free, yet flushable?

Blossoming Mon 05-Apr-21 12:13:02

Do you have a cat? Ours like to shred the toilet roll if we’re foolish enough to leave bathroom doors open. Otherwise, I recommend Cushelle for shred-free wiping and flushing.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Apr-21 12:18:21

I use Aldis cheap toilet paper and have no trouble with it at all.

Do you have a problem all the time, or only when the grandchildren are visiting?

I suspect the bits of paper I sometimes find on the floor when we have had visitors is due to them not having been taught to check that they actually have deposited all paper in the toilet before flushing.

Yeah, I know, grumpy old woman, that's me.

I have a greater problem with DS and DDIL using yards of the stuff to blow their noses, clean off make-up etc. as our drains really do not care for about 3 yards of toilet paper at a time!

simtib Mon 05-Apr-21 12:19:59

Could get something like this. A lot less toilet paper is used and it cleans you much better.

www.showertraysuk.co.uk/go-clean-handheld-bidet-sprayer-with-isolating-valve

Peasblossom Mon 05-Apr-21 12:23:52

Are you using Andrex? I had to stop buying it a few years ago because the ‘fluff’ all around my bathroom.

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Apr-21 12:47:57

Cushelle here too, I buy in bulk, have done for over three years, survives GC visits too.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 05-Apr-21 12:49:20

Using Regina never ever have that problem

B9exchange Mon 05-Apr-21 12:52:02

I don't understand the number of people who leave umpteen sheets on the floor in public loos? If you drop a piece, why not pick it up and flush it? And as for those who used several sheets as a seat cover and then discard them on the floor..... I feel honour bound to pick up and flush their mess first, rather than people think it was me that dropped them when I come out!

Hellsbelles Mon 05-Apr-21 13:23:43

Awful sounding company, but , Who gives a crap ( yes it's really called that ) is an online toilet delivery company.
They donate money to third world countries for the building of toilets.
Their bamboo toilet paper is not overly thick, but is very strong and non shedding . You buy it it boxes of 48 but each roll lasts a fair while . We use under 2 a week .

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 05-Apr-21 13:25:50

We use Andrex and have the same problem as the OP

BlueBelle Mon 05-Apr-21 13:30:24

Aldi cheap ,for me
I ve never come across this as a problem and never actually heard anyone say they have either

Visgir1 Mon 05-Apr-21 13:31:21

"Hellsbelles." ... I to use " Who gives a Crap" the bamboo ones. Never know loo rolls last as long. They don't shred and your doing a bit for charity.
They come in a big box so you do need to find somewhere for storage, but the individual packages are pleasing to the eye.

SueDonim Mon 05-Apr-21 13:53:41

Who gives a crap is bad environmentally, as it has to be transported all round the world from China, adding to emissions.

jusnoneed Mon 05-Apr-21 14:34:58

Tesco own is what I buy, no problems. I stopped using andrex some time ago as it wasn't very good.

GillT57 Mon 05-Apr-21 14:49:39

Although i was tempted by Who Gives A Crap, further investigation found that they manufacture in China and then fly it in so it is a no from me.

M0nica Mon 05-Apr-21 15:22:21

Cheapest possible loo paper made from recycled paper. does the job and doesnt fluff.

Aveline Mon 05-Apr-21 15:30:09

Naninka I know exactly what you mean. It seems to be a new phenomenon, at least in this house it is. Tiny bits of toilet paper to hoover up. We used to have Asda stuff till the lockdown and had to get loo roll from a shop nearer home. Hope we can get back to Asda soon.

shysal Mon 05-Apr-21 15:50:17

I have never noticed this problem. I used Nicky when able to access Savers, but recently Cushelle quilted.
For a while I wondered why my urine smelt of coconut until I realized it was coconut oil in the loo roll!

Naninka Mon 05-Apr-21 16:13:29

Lol @ smelling of coconut!
I've tried Andrex - too dusty. But as a goto brand I've always used Cushelle. I wonder if they've changed the 'recipe' as this shredding has never before been a problem.
I don't own a cat but have done in the past - it made me chuckle to think of a moggy creeping in to the bathroom to shred the roll.
Not tried "who gives a crap" and not tried Asda.
Have tried Tesco coconut and that was the worst of the lot.
What is 'Nicky'?
And sorry I can't highlight anyone's names but I don't know how to do that. smile

SueDonim Mon 05-Apr-21 17:30:17

jusnoneed

Tesco own is what I buy, no problems. I stopped using andrex some time ago as it wasn't very good.

Not just me, then! The quality of Andrex really seems to have gone down in the last year or two. It’s quite hard now a d definitely not worth the premium cost.

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Apr-21 17:56:21

As others have said, Who gives a crap, manufactured in China, shipped to Australian warehouses, then flown here.

Daisend1 Mon 05-Apr-21 18:09:28

Trial and error but 3 ply usually 'fluff free'.

H1954 Mon 05-Apr-21 18:18:16

We have a small free-standing cabinet for the loo rolls. The top part is where the roll goes that we're using at the time and there's a slot like a letter box to pull the paper through - do you get the picture? Well, that compartment does get 'dusty' from the rolls and we noticed this more with Andrex - dreadful stuff, very expensive by comparison- so we now use either Cushelle or supermarket own brand - far less dust but still soft on the ar.........sorry, bum!

mokryna Mon 05-Apr-21 22:09:13

simtib

Could get something like this. A lot less toilet paper is used and it cleans you much better.

www.showertraysuk.co.uk/go-clean-handheld-bidet-sprayer-with-isolating-valve

When I stayed in Finland all the private and public toilets I visited had one of these, to stop the use of paper (but I was too timid.

rubysong Mon 05-Apr-21 23:44:22

I was very disappointed by ' Who gives a crap' (the standard one, not the expensive bamboo). I bought a box of 48 just before the first lockdown, because they donate to charity and it is recycled. It was awful; how we celebrated when we had finished the last roll!