Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

In a bit of a dilemma regarding a house move

(56 Posts)
Dotty1960 Sun 11-Apr-21 12:14:40

Hi ladies,just need a few opinions as Im going around in circles at the moment.
Ive lived in a 2 bed roomed flat all my life and decided to sell up and move to a different area.
I managed to sell up and received a really good price so I put in a offer for a lovely house.
I moved out of my flat but sadly the house fell through.So right now Im staying in a hotel and my furniture is in storage.
Ive always wanted to own my own house so Ive continued to look for another house which would take up all my money that I recieved for my flat.
However I came across a lovely 2 bedroomed flat in the area which I love,the price is excellent.
However my dilema is...............do I stick it out and find myself a house which would mean I have no savings left and I would have to carry on working.
Or do I go for the flat which would mean I have around £30,000 left over which would mean I could easily go part time in my job and have that amount of money left in the bank.
Ive been so happy looking for a house with a garden because that is my dream but it would mean I would have to carry on working and have very little left in the bank for my future,
But the thought of going part time working and having a hefty amount put away for my future also makes me feel happy..................its just the thought of going back into a flat and not a house that Ive always dreamed of.
Ladies what would you consider the most important in this dilemma of mine??

I could find a cheaper house I guess in a different area but if this is going to be my last move then I definatly want it in the area I love best.
Im 63 years old if that helps.

Dotty1960 Sun 11-Apr-21 15:01:12

Yes Riverwalk your right about service charges,at my old flat I paid £90 a month ,at this flat Im interested in the cost is £50 a month,still alot of money but its cheaper than my old flat.
Even the house which fell through was leasehold,Ive tried looking for freehold but there isnt any near the place I would like to live,well none that I like that is.

Andipandy Sun 11-Apr-21 15:18:23

I would certainly follow my dream. Why not let one of the bedrooms on airbnb once in a while. I do that and it is not only good momey, but an interesting and social way of earning money. It also gives you the chance to “show off” your beautiful home and lovely garden. I really enjoy getting compliments and I love it when my guests feel comfortable sitting in my garden. That way you can “make your house work” for you as I put it. Being safe is not always best. But happyness and health is everything. Good luck and enjoy life!

geekesse Sun 11-Apr-21 15:34:18

I’d go for the flat - but I hate gardening!

Eloethan Sun 11-Apr-21 15:42:11

We have always had a garden so it is hard to advise on this one as I'm not sure I'd like to live in a flat unless it was a garden flat.

However, I think if I were in your position I would go for the flat since it would give you a reasonable amount of capital to allow you to work fewer hours and to enjoy yourself more. Also, if you were left with very little or no capital, if a significant domestic expense arose it could be very worrying.

Is there any chance of you finding a garden flat?

Dotty1960 Sun 11-Apr-21 15:45:14

Andipandy

I would certainly follow my dream. Why not let one of the bedrooms on airbnb once in a while. I do that and it is not only good momey, but an interesting and social way of earning money. It also gives you the chance to “show off” your beautiful home and lovely garden. I really enjoy getting compliments and I love it when my guests feel comfortable sitting in my garden. That way you can “make your house work” for you as I put it. Being safe is not always best. But happyness and health is everything. Good luck and enjoy life!

Oh gosh AndiPandy that would be my worse nightmare! lol Im one of those funny ones who loves her own company once that front door is locked. Dont get me wrong I do have many friends who do come around to my home but its nice to wave them goodbye when they leave.
I know the extra money would definatly help but I couldnt do that,Im not anti social honest! lol

Dotty1960 Sun 11-Apr-21 15:50:51

Eloethan

We have always had a garden so it is hard to advise on this one as I'm not sure I'd like to live in a flat unless it was a garden flat.

However, I think if I were in your position I would go for the flat since it would give you a reasonable amount of capital to allow you to work fewer hours and to enjoy yourself more. Also, if you were left with very little or no capital, if a significant domestic expense arose it could be very worrying.

Is there any chance of you finding a garden flat?

Ive tried looking for a garden flat Eloethan or one where I could have a private balcony and nothing suits me although I havent actually looked for these types apart from online,this flat Im talking about will be the first flat Im going to look at and that was because the lady in the estate agents shown it me yesterday.
The good thing with this flat Im going to see is if I open my patio doors in the living room then all I will see is the communal grass right outside my door and because the flat is on the end of the block there wont be anyone sat outside my flat.There is a massive amount of grass and its well maintained.
Im now 75% for the flat 25% for the house,oh heck I will know for certain if I want it or not when I go and view the inside of the flat on Tuesday.Oh apparently Im supposed to call it a apartment,to me its a flat lol

NotTooOld Sun 11-Apr-21 16:27:01

Location, location, location! Better to have a flat in the area you love than a house/garden in an area you don't much like. I would have a look for a house/garden in your preferred area but if you can't find one I'd go for the flat, which sounds very nice indeed. Don't leave it too long as your capital is depleting whilst you are paying rent and having your furniture stored. Hope it all works out well for you.

glammanana Sun 11-Apr-21 18:01:52

Dotty1960 I myself would look at going forward with the garden flat it sounds delightful and you have already met some of your possible new neighbours with positive results.
For me looking forward if I went down the house route I don't think I would want to have the costs involved with the upkeep as I got older.
Good luck with your viewing on Tuesday I hope it lives up to your expectations.

geekesse Sun 11-Apr-21 18:04:11

Do, please, let us know what you decide.

Sunlover Sun 11-Apr-21 18:09:30

I’d go for the flat. Thinking of the future when stairs, gardening may be a problem. As you can

Sunlover Sun 11-Apr-21 18:11:54

(Sorry posted before I’d finished!)
As you can open your patio doors and sit outside it sounds perfect. Also as someone else said Location Location Location.

Sparkling Sun 11-Apr-21 18:19:17

I don’t know where I could buy a flat with a garden area within 20 miles of where I live, it depends on which part of the country you live.It does depend if you want to leave a house to anyone or could you rent a house for 30 years on tge money you have off your flat sale. I am not interested in what I leave so would probably waste money by renting for my next move. Could you, if you really want to buy, get a house in a cheaper area, because you can’t have both. I would never, use everything I have to buy a house at 63, not many years to get something behind you, it would be no joke with little cash when you retire, life throws curve balls sometimes.
Can someone tell me where they sell flats with a garden?

Dotty1960 Sun 11-Apr-21 18:53:41

Thanks so much to all the lovely ladies who have answered my dilema . I will definatly come back and tell you how I get on with the viewing on Tuesday.
Ive looked at everyone of your posts and there are lots of things that were written which I hadnt even thought about so Ive thought long and hard since posting here and reading all your replies and Im pretty certain Ive made my choice.
I got to thinking what would make me smile the most and what would make me the happiest.

The house..............yes I would make it nice but I wouldnt have much money that I could spend on it once I had bought it. I would have to find myself a new job,even though Im debt free I would still need a income for things.So Id be in a area which I love,,Id have a house that Ive always wanted but treats and holidays probably wouldnt happen so yes Id have a house that I wanted but would probably be stuck indoors night after night just looking at the four walls.And if I havent any money put away for emergencys(because things could go wrong with the house) would I fret and worry that I hadnt money to pay for repairs etc if they were to happen.?? knowing me I probably would
So maybe look in a different area for a cheaper house??? I honestly wouldnt want to do that.

So if I buy the flat............ ok its a flat but it has four walls and I can still call it my home plus the fact with so much money left over I could make my flat spectacular and really lovely.Id have the pleasure of some lovely grass right outside my living room so I guess I can say Ive got a garden.I could have myself little treats and cheap holidays without scrimping and saving all the time.I could find myself a little part time job if I wanted one,and lastly with the communal gardens it will give me a good chance of making new friends.
I think the major reason why I will choose the flat if its still available on Tuesday is it will give me peace of mind and that alone is priceless in my eyes.I wouldnt have to worry if anything went wrong with the flat because the money would be there to sorts things like that out.
I look back to my precious mams life and the poor soul was still working till she died at the age of 72,she worked because she had to as she was on her own because my dad died 10 years before her.I know for certain she would tell me to choose the flat so that I would sleep easier at nights not worrying over lack of money and she would want me to have little treats and fun in this last stage of my life.

SO LADIES IVE DECIDED ....................... ITS THE FLAT!!!

I will come back on here and let you know if its still available to buy when I visit on Tuesday.x

Hithere Sun 11-Apr-21 19:27:55

I think you will find the flat you will fall in love with and the house idea will no longer be a priority.

Dotty1960 Sun 11-Apr-21 19:29:07

Hithere

I think you will find the flat you will fall in love with and the house idea will no longer be a priority.

Oh I hope so Hithere !!

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:06:45

I think I would go for the house, as it’s an investment for your future, and what you really want. You won’t work forever, and then you’ll have all the time for your garden. If you go for another flat, you’ve not changed much, except you’d have more spare cash. You might find a flat oppressive if you’re in it for more time, ie working part time and then retiring.

Only you can best decide though. I wish you all the best.

JuneRose Tue 13-Apr-21 21:43:14

Hi Dotty. Did you fall in love with the flat? Did it tick all the boxes? Would love to know! x

Nonogran Tue 13-Apr-21 22:27:41

Take a look at the service & maintence charges now & forecasted if the flat is leasehold. Your money in the bank if you go for the flat could be eaten away by those rising costs?
If you feel you can accept that, go for the flat. The doors onto the grass and a few pots, as you age, might be enough? If there's no allotments, could you volunteer at s local country house or National Trust garden? I know it wouldn't be your own but might assuage your desire for a garden?
I hope you make the right choice, but the idea of less working hours & a nest egg is hard to beat.

Nannagarra Tue 13-Apr-21 23:18:52

Excellent advice given above.
Only you can decide but can I make it a bit easier?
Imagine I’m with you when you’re viewing as I’m also interested. Would you be bothered if I secured the sale on the flat or a house you have your eye on? That may help you!

Daisymae Wed 14-Apr-21 07:53:44

Your a cash buyer so go in with a low offer for a quick sale if you decide that it's for you.

midgey Wed 14-Apr-21 09:07:10

That cushion of money left over in the bank is worth everything in my opinion. If you have spent everything on the house what happens if...? Do tell us what you thought of the flat!

Elusivebutterfly Wed 14-Apr-21 09:18:30

Personally I would go for the house if it has always been your dream and it is possible to realise your dream now. I don't think you should be worrying about stairs being too much at your age.
I am put off flats largely because ground rent, service and maintenance charges can be so high and take a big chunk out of a pension.

Dotty1960 Wed 14-Apr-21 09:48:20

Morning ladies,Well I went yesterday and ...................... I was dissapointed,walked away feeling very deflated.

Alot of work was needed,new radiators in every room,it needed decorating throughout,ok I would have enough money to do them but it was the feeling I got when I walked into the flat............it was a yucky feeling and I quickly realised this wouldnt be my forever home.

LESSON NUMBER ONE............JUST BECAUSE THE PICTURES MAKE IT LOOK IMMACULATE.........IT ISNT ALWAYS THE CASE.

However I do know what I want and Im definatly looking for a 2 bedroom flat,(Never thought I would ever say that!)alot cheaper and Ive realised I really do want to retire and go to bed at night not worrying about money,buying a flat/apartment will allow that to happen.
So Im back on the internet looking for my forever home,thank you so much everyone for all your imput,I appreciated it much more than you all realise.xx

Shinamae Wed 14-Apr-21 09:53:54

Dotty, I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that flat wasn’t for you! You will find something you really love...... eventually...??

Dotty1960 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:57:28

Shinamae

Dotty, I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that flat wasn’t for you! You will find something you really love...... eventually...??

That word "eventually" seems such a very long word right now lol
I know my "forever home" is out there somewhere,its just finding it lol