Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Weight gain/ body changes

(32 Posts)
slwolfson Mon 12-Apr-21 16:23:55

Hi all. I'm curious if anyone has had issues with body changes? I'm 66 and 4 11.
I have severe scoliosis and stenosis so I can't do hardcore exercises. I do yoga daily, and walk dogs 2 plus miles day. I am a conscious eater. I do take medication that can cause weight gain. I was always small. Now I find I'm bigger even across the chest, and I've gone up a pants size. I had four kids. My stomach seems huge to me:-( I don't weigh myself cause I've been having body issues- too much focus on how I look when what's important is I'm healthy. Weighing makes me fret more.
My doctor tells me these changes are typical, but I thought it may help to hear it from other older folks
Thanks!

MayBee70 Thu 08-Dec-22 12:58:48

When it comes to my weight I always think of that latent heat of vaporisation thing we learned at school and realised that the reason I struggled to get my weight under 9st was that 9st was the weight I was meant to be. My daughter, who is a keen runner, has just sold her cross trainer because she was short of room but I pointed out that running is good cardiovascular exercise but won’t tone up her body. I wish I could have had it but the sideways movement on the knees is impossible with the arthritis I have in one of them. It was only the machines at the gym that toned me up but I stopped going there for fear of catching covid there. My waist is now 29 inches and I can’t comprehend how I could have once had a 19 inch waist: I think I must have been grossly underweight. Mind you I now have a bust: something I would have dreamed of in my youth, the only time I had one back then was when I was pregnant.

pinkprincess Thu 08-Dec-22 19:07:07

I am 78and just can't shift the weight.I hit the menopause at 53 and the fat just suddenly appeared and will not go away no matter how much I diet or exercise.I am 4ft 10 and used to weigh 6 stone with a very petite figure to match. Now I am 8 stone 10 and it will not go down.
I have COPD and on daily steroid inhalers which do not help with weight loss.
I gave up dieting three months ago after having a Pulmonary Embolus. I thought why suffer when I might not be here tomorrow, enjoy life when I have still got it.

Hetty58 Thu 08-Dec-22 19:42:01

I'm still on the thin side, yet my waist seems to have disappeared entirely with ageing. The female shape has gone, I'm like a tube. My arms and legs are thinner, stomach fatter, boobs and bum lower and flatter. Hey, ho, that's old age for you!

humptydumpty Thu 08-Dec-22 19:44:35

Well ladies, our fat deposits will hopefully have an up side in this cold weather!!

Hennahead Wed 01-Feb-23 15:41:35

OMG yes! I have chaged from pear to apple shape. I used to be a size 14 now I am an 18 (though this is recent as I put on a stone recently as I broke my shouder and couldn't exercise, was a 16). It is depressing - not only have I put n 2 stone in the last 20 years but it looks so much more unsightly round the tummy plus being a health risk. I am dieting and exercising again but it is slow going at this age. Back in size 18 jeans today, at least they are comfortable!

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 15:47:34

I have dropped from 5ft2ins to 5ft.

The cause, lifelong steroids and osteoporosis.

I have become much heavier due to various medications and unable to walk far due to RA and Heart issues.
The one positive, until recently, I have looked younger than my age.

I no longer fret about something I can't change and just try to look the best I can.