Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Swimming.

(39 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 14-Apr-21 14:32:28

It's hoped that indoor pools may be allowed to open soon. It's the one thing I have missed but am still a bit worried whether it will be safe. Would you risk it?

sandelf Thu 15-Apr-21 14:33:12

I'm going soon. Hate the lack of spontaneity. Check the rate in your area and be aware it is important to WASH with a soap afterwards chlorine does not kill everything. coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

EllanVannin Thu 15-Apr-21 14:35:37

You wouldn't get me in the same water as others, good grief !

4allweknow Thu 15-Apr-21 16:04:40

My concern is the warm moist atmosphere. Just not convinced it's the best when we are being told venues including school's should open windows to allow fresh air to flow through.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Apr-21 16:40:56

This is the information I posted last year. It is updated as required because it's "Health and Safety" info.

You may find the download interesting here:
www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/environmentalhealthguidance/

It's from Ireland but it quotes all the sources.
I felt pretty confident about a swim at my club pool after reading this.

M0nica Thu 15-Apr-21 17:33:43

DD had her first swim yesterday. Strict COVID rules, prebooked, lane swimming, no overtaking and gaps between each tranche of swimmers so that they pool area can be sanitised and then the changing rooms.

She is booked in for at least 3 more swims.

Rowsie Thu 15-Apr-21 17:41:40

I was straight back in the pool as soon as I was allowed and have been twice this week already. I didn't even think about it. They are limiting numbers and I can't see what the problem would be. I was so excited to get back to my regular sessions and feel so much better for them!

B9exchange Thu 15-Apr-21 17:41:46

Sadly 10 years of swimming lessons at school failed to each me to swim, I'm with you Greenlady!

rozina Thu 15-Apr-21 19:23:57

Dear kircubbin2000

Since my indoor pool opened on the 12th April I go every day. No worries!

supergirlsnan Thu 15-Apr-21 19:39:52

Totally agree with Rowsie.

madeleine45 Fri 16-Apr-21 07:38:27

I am desperate to get back to swimming, I used to go twice a week at least because with my back problems etc exercising in water is the one thing that I am able to do and it gives me some pain relief and they have a hoist to get me in and out the pool. At the moment I am in severe pain and cannot walk further than from my house to the car etc and so cannot do much at all and of course not having been for so long has not helped. I have had one vaccination and get the next one this saturday. So I plan to give it a couple of weeks to just be safe and then yes lets go for it. We obviously now have to walk the tightrope of trying to still keep safe but get back to doing what we are able to do. I shall not be mixing in large crowds but will think about where I feel safe and then get back to what I enjoy. for example as they say if life gives you lemons make lemonade. I am awake at about 4am mostly these days, so I am now preparing my box for the car which has plates picnic stuff china mugs etc etc, so next time the weather is decent and I am awake early it will be up and put the cafefiere and flasks in the car and away I shall go to the coast. I will be looking at the sea before half the people have got up and then will leave about lunchtime and come home. It will be great to reclaim our favourite places again and we will appreciate them all the more. Good luck with your swimming

henetha Fri 16-Apr-21 10:33:34

Thank you ~Greyduster.. I really think I will give it a go.

melp1 Mon 19-Apr-21 19:41:20

Back swimming again but have to book and pool only allows 10 at a time and all in lanes.
Shower after but unfortunately no hairdryers allowed.
Booked to go again in a few days time.
Love it!

Cherrytree59 Mon 19-Apr-21 20:45:03

Grandsons back at their Saturday swimming lessons.
4 to a class.
Teacher no longer in pool but on poolside with a long pole and
lifeguard patrolling .
Only one adult to accompany child.

Their happy wee faces was a joy.
Learning to swim is an important life skill

Me back at gym pool today yeah!

Swimming booked beforehand, limited spaces.

Changing room and pool side constantly cleaned.

Available lockers are spaced out and cleaned after use.

Whilst I was swimming, pool water samples taken.

Masks to be worn in reception areas.
Gym staff in masks and visors .

I don't think they could have done anymore.
Felt perfectly safe.