Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Weighted Blankets: Are they worth the money?

(39 Posts)
Ffion63 Mon 19-Apr-21 22:25:22

Does anyone have experience of sleeping with a weighted blanket? My husband and I are not good sleepers and I believe they are helpful at improving sleep. I’m not sure how they work and, as they are expensive, I don’t want to buy one and make a mistake. I already have a cupboard full of duvets in a range of togs! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

shirleyhick Thu 22-Apr-21 21:42:02

My daughter has one and says she has never slept so well. I have thought about trying it but they are very heavy and I don't think I could sleep with one that heavy. I would price around for one we got it from Online Home Shopping as it was the cheapest we found

Betty18 Thu 22-Apr-21 18:46:25

I love mine. It is hot but it’s just so comforting. Takes a little getting used to

Elvis58 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:24:04

Would not do for me.l have a 4.5 tog duvet winter and summer.Hate the thought of being confined in my bed.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 22-Apr-21 16:14:41

I can’t bear to be tucked in or under a heavy blanket so I wouldn’t like it. I even have my toes sticking out from the bottom of the duvet, which has to be down and feather, much lighter than microfibre.

Tedd1 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:07:21

I bought one last year, after two weeks my sleep problems were resolved and I haven’t had to use it since

Alison333 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:00:29

Weighted blankets are great for some autistic people because the weight is soothing for them. Texture would be important too, not just the weight - not scratchy or too hot. They are pricey but worth it if you like the feeling of pressure.

Vintagegirl Thu 22-Apr-21 15:01:33

I got 8 kilo one for restless hubbie but he would not use it. Daughter had a go and thought it great for one night then not! I sold it via a local online ad and person collected from me. I would not put weight on top of a duvet as heat is generated by pockets of air trapped in down/feathers. Also feathers will be damaged by weight and breakdown will become source of allergen.

haddersmum Thu 22-Apr-21 14:08:06

My daughter bought me one for Christmas and I put it on the bed to keep me warm. It came as quite a surprise to find I sleep like a log when using it. At the moment it is on top of the double duvet I share with DH but this will have to change soon as both will be too hot.

Destin Thu 22-Apr-21 13:12:30

I used to sleep poorly .....I would wake up at least two or three times a night - often feeling cold - and never felt that I slept soundly between the bouts of waking up. So I moved the bed from under the window to the other side of the room. It helped a little but I was still waking through the night. Next I bought a heavier bedspread that I put over the duvet, and the extra weight did help somewhat, and I wasn’t waking so many times through the night. Finally I bought an electric under-blanket (rather than a weighted blanket) and made sure I put it on half an hour or so before I went to bed and turned it off when I turned out the bedside light and settled in to go to sleep. And finally I have discovered the answer to a great night of undisturbed sleep....top covers have a little more weight .....and .a little more heat under the fitted sheet. And I’m sleeping better and more soundly than I have in years.

AmberSpyglass Thu 22-Apr-21 13:08:39

I love them. Very soothing especially if I’m stressed.

GraceQuirrel Thu 22-Apr-21 13:03:08

Was too hot for me. Loved the weight but having to use it only on my side because partner didn’t want it meant it slipped down all the time. Paid a lot for it but shoved in spare room now. Hard to sell on eBay as postal cost would be shocking.

GreenGran78 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:43:00

I agree, Theoddbird. I have never liked duvets. In the winter I have a fleece blanket next to me, which is really cosy. Then I have a cotton sheet, a bedspread, and a cellular blanket on top.
I hate being too warm, and can push off the fleece, blanket or bedspread to adjust to my ideal temperature.
Staying in hotels is always a nightmare for me. I often end up with the duvet cover only, and the duvet in the cupboard, though I often have to leave a ‘do not adjust’ note for the maids.

LuckyDuck Thu 22-Apr-21 12:33:02

I bought one so it would stay put on my velvet duvet cover to keep me warm in my icy cold flat. It was too heavy and I would wake up with pain in my joints, particularly legs. Can`t remember if it was 7 or 9 kg but it had to go unfortunately.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Apr-21 12:29:58

I have a merino wool underblanket and top blanket plus a feather quilt then a large candlewick spread covering all-----sleep like a top grin.

Theoddbird Thu 22-Apr-21 12:14:25

Ditch the duvet and go back to sheet
blankets and a proper quilt. You can adjust to a weight you are comfortable with. Far better than a duvet.

omega1 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:11:36

I got mediction from the Doctor because I couldn't sleep It is a low dosage, non habit forming and its wonderful. I always get a good nights sleep now

Sara1954 Thu 22-Apr-21 11:28:15

I can’t bear duvets, always sheets and blankets for me, and I crocheted a really big thick blanket to go on top, which is heavy.
I like the idea of the weighted blanket, but it was so hot, and everything seemed to get so tangled up.

Yogagran70 Thu 22-Apr-21 11:05:41

I crocheted a blanket as well, which I put on top of duvet, feels quite weighted too

Yogagran70 Thu 22-Apr-21 11:03:13

Home Bargains sell one for £24.99, 15gs, I felt that it helped a bit

grannylyn65 Thu 22-Apr-21 11:02:17

I absolutely hate mine

PinkCosmos Thu 22-Apr-21 10:59:26

My adult son has just bought one but it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

We recently bought a Siberian goose down duvet which was so lightweight I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep under it. I have got used to it now and sleep well with the lighter weight, especially in summer.

Maybe we should revert back to blankets and eiderdowns like in the olden days. The combination of those on the bed was so heavy.

Arty2 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:40:48

If you mean solid wool blankets made by tweed places then YES worth every penny. Wool wash usually. I did have about 4 when hubby alive. Now just one in a tartan. I also have fleece blankets on main and spare bed. Surprising how much heat they keep in and SO much cheaper!

tinysidsmum Thu 22-Apr-21 10:38:52

My granddaughter has Autism and ADHD and never used to sleep properly, with a weighted blanket she sleeps so better now.

CassieJ Tue 20-Apr-21 17:53:26

I tried on last year as my sleep is dreadful. I had the 7.5 kg weight one. I snuggle under my quilt, but found I couldn't do this with a weighted blanket. I also move a lot which also didn't help.
I gave up after 3 months and sold it.

Knittynatter Tue 20-Apr-21 14:17:39

When I was little, way before duvets were a thing, we had sheets and wool blankets and we were tucked up tight every night. That is what my heavy blanket (chunky Aran knit blanket) that I use, on top of my low tog duvet, reminds me of - and I sleep so well now.