Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

washing hair in shower. Or bath.

(42 Posts)
Fennel Wed 21-Apr-21 20:40:22

After breaking my ankle and confined to a wheelchair for a few weeks I could no longer reach the basin to wash my hair.
So I tried washing it in the shower. As I expected I got soapy water in my eye and it's still weeping.
how do other people manage? do you just wash it without shampoo?

Grannynannywanny Thu 22-Apr-21 08:04:33

Just read your post Puzzler61 and you and I were thinking along the same lines!

silverlining48 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:07:03

I don’t shower as my balance is poor, especially with eyes closed, so wash hair while sitting in the bath. Works for me.
Hope you feel better soon Fennel,

silverlining48 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:10:31

How about dry shampoo, you just spray it on and give it a rub.
Or not worry at all. I know someone who didn’t wash hers for 6 weeks and it looked ok.

simtib Thu 22-Apr-21 08:31:41

Have not had a bath for years. Shower and wash my hair every morning. Just start at the top and work down.

Callistemon Thu 22-Apr-21 09:37:28

simtib

Have not had a bath for years. Shower and wash my hair every morning. Just start at the top and work down.

It's not that easy with a broken ankle as Fennel has.

simtib Thu 22-Apr-21 09:44:22

simtib

My Mum also has showers and has a seat that she places in the shower.

Teacheranne Thu 22-Apr-21 09:47:33

If mobility is an issue, make sure you have something to hold onto when you step out of the shower as it’s too easy to trip over the rim of the shower tray! I’m lucky as my basin is close by to hold onto.

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:50:02

silverlining what will happen if and when you can no longer get in and out of a bath? I have not had a bath for around 12 years because of that.

Sitting on a bath stool helps balance problems and I have no problem washing my hair. It is a fiddle turning the water off and on but I have it to a T now. If you cannot move the handset around that would be a different ball game.

henetha Thu 22-Apr-21 10:45:03

I always wash my hair in the shower. I stand with my back to the shower and positioned just right so the water does not run down my face. Then shampoo and rinse.

Elegran Thu 22-Apr-21 11:10:14

We were just discussing this problem at our zoom meet-up yesterday. One of us was recommending these inside-out shower caps - www.amazon.co.uk/Shampoo-Haircare-residue-Massage-Drench?tag=gransnetforum-21

Fennel Fri 23-Apr-21 15:18:29

Thanks for all the replies/ideas.The most mentioned seems to be put your head beck - i wouldn' risk that as a stand holding onto bars at 2 sides and I couldn't do that if I turned my back.
but I'll soon be able to manage with the sink, standing ,as it has a mixer tap with space beneath for my head and for my hands to massage my scalp.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Apr-21 15:51:46

I ve always washed my hair cleaned my teeth and everything else needing cleaning in one fell swoop in the shower every morning around 7am
Why not ??

Franbern Sun 25-Apr-21 09:40:19

I use a small shower stool so that I can sit throughout my shower. Tend to have my head forward when washng my hair, no shampoo in my eyes.

In my bath I have a normal shower head and also a smaller hand held one. So, if I am using trhe bath, and want to wash my hair I use that smaller one.

There are very many different sorts of aids out there to assist people who have mobility problems in getting in and/or out of their baths.

Oldbat1 Sun 25-Apr-21 09:45:03

Get yourself a shower seat - not too expensive. Make sure you have a non slip mat in the shower. I wash my hair every morning in the shower with my back towards the shower never have a problem with shampoo in my eyes. It is a power shower so not gentle. Good luck getting organised.

eazybee Sun 25-Apr-21 10:16:20

When we first had a shower in the 1970s I found it very difficult to was my hair without getting soap in my eyes, but I soon learned, by adjusting the angle of my head, but using baby shampoo, non-stinging, certainly helped!

Redhead56 Sun 25-Apr-21 11:15:26

I wash my hair in the basin more in control that no shampoo in my eyes.