Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hugging

(89 Posts)
honeyrose Sun 09-May-21 22:33:44

Now that we’ll soon be able to hug again, I feel that I can dispense with this particular activity altogether! Does that make me sound a cold person? I’m really not cold at all, but I’m not keen on hugging friends, which seemed to have become the norm before lockdowns. How do I avoid hugging friends without potentially upsetting them? We have been told to keep it short anyway and to save hugging for our closest friends/family, but I don’t want to get back to hugging every time I meet a friend. I hug my 2 granddaughters a lot and am comfortable with this - they’re only 3!

Kali2 Mon 10-May-21 22:30:53

Can't wait to hug my loved ones. Never hug others though. why would you hug acquaintances and strangers.

maddyone Tue 11-May-21 00:05:58

We observed both the law and the guidelines throughout the worst of Covid both times. We still didn’t hug our family through last summer when Covid was low and we were allowed to meet, except for the children. We felt as a family that deprivation of normal contact with the children was more than enough during the lockdown and when we were allowed to meet we interacted normally with the children. From a couple of weeks ago we’ve been hugging as a family again, since all but two of us were vaccinated and some of us had actually had Covid during the winter. Hugging was never against the law, don’t hug was guidelines. All social distancing was guidelines, not law. We felt that we were no longer a danger to one another and to hug our family is normal, for us anyway. Living the way we’ve lived this last year is not normal for humans who are social animals.

MissChateline Tue 11-May-21 06:04:05

Lollin....Why do we clean if germs do not stay on things for a time . If sick bugs or flu I thought one of the main things to do was clean door handles, banisters etc.

Do you know, I hadn’t ever thought of cleaning anything to remove germs, they just aren’t part of my life. I don’t think that I have actively cleaned a doorknob ever and surfaces are wiped to remove everyday dirt, dust and spills. I’ve never used an anti bacterial cleaner or bleach on household items.
As a child I dug up carrots from the garden and ate them soil and all. I often think that the fewer germs we are exposed to the more likely we are to get unwell as we have no immunity to them. I have not had a days illness since having German measles 50 years ago so I presume I have a very healthy immune system.

grandMattie Tue 11-May-21 06:54:39

Interesting! Having been brought up in the French way, kissing and hugging were part of my life. I didn’t always feel comfortable with it but went along.
When I came to the UK, if I hugged or kissed someone, I was regarded as dangerously foreign, to be avoided at all costs.
Suddenly, everyone now hugs... I still feel the same; hug those I want to and keep away from those I don’t.
As for germs- unless someone is actively infected, I don’t pay much attention to them.

Matelda Tue 11-May-21 10:38:50

I fling my arms across my chest and say "Hugs to you" with a warm smile. This works online and in person. I'm not going back to actual hugs again.

frenchie Tue 11-May-21 10:44:11

I am French and we have always kissed family and close friends. I came to England 45 years ago and there were no kissing in DH’s family and no kissing with the friends I made.
We are now living in France and it took me a while to get used to kissing friends!
But what horrify me nowadays is the way the British will kiss you and then hug you, no thank you! What is that about?

NannyG123 Tue 11-May-21 10:44:20

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a lady from a group I go to. Her husband had passed away a few weeks earlier. She was a little tearful, I wanted to cuddle her but held back.. would have definitely cuddled her under normal circumstances.

Hannahmac14 Tue 11-May-21 10:48:07

I agree. It was a relief not expecting to hug everyone!

polnan Tue 11-May-21 10:48:28

I love the "I only love Trees" yes please

I absolutely cringed in fact got mad to think that the Government said if we could hug! How dare they/it!

winterwhite Tue 11-May-21 11:00:43

I'm not so sure that children above toddler age like being hugged anyway. I'm imaging them next Monday, getting ready to dive into cupboards or hide under beds when relations are announced. ?

SunRising Tue 11-May-21 11:06:12

i am quite happy to hug my family and have been sneaking a hug with my daughter anyway but we hug while looking in opposite direction so not face to face. Personally i feel many young people do too much hugging and it means nothing. I save mine and really mean it when i hug!!!

Moggycuddler Tue 11-May-21 11:06:39

I've never been touchy-feely. Rarely even hug my immediate family, but we are very close and affectionate in other ways. Certainly wouldn't want people outside my close family hugging me.

Doodledog Tue 11-May-21 11:09:56

MissChateline

To be honest I am more concerned that hugging was an occupation that this government believed that it could allow or not allow. I do wonder how many people have received a criminal record for hugging. As far as I am concerned no one tells me whether I am or am not allowed to hug my children or grandchildren. I would suggest that it would have been far more productive to recommend not hugging than an outright ban.

Absolutely.

I have been shielding, so have hardly seen anyone to hug, but I really object to Johnson telling me who I can and can't hug. Ridiculous.

Grandyma Tue 11-May-21 11:15:23

I am wondering why the government even thought it necessary to mention this. It was never enforceable to begin with but now, by saying it’s allowed it will make a lot of people, myself included, feel very uncomfortable when people start hugging me again. I think the same will apply to hand shaking - how do you refuse a handshake without appearing to be rude? I can’t wait to hug my grandchildren but that really is as far as I want to take it.

Trisha57 Tue 11-May-21 11:16:08

rubysong perhaps one of those sequinned T shirts that you can rub to change the message/picture. "Please Hug Me" or "Please Don't Hug Me"?

Calendargirl Tue 11-May-21 11:17:41

I’m not so sure that children above toddler age like being hugged anyway.

I think you could well be right. We always hugged and kissed our GC when they left us after babysitting or a meal here, but by the time they were 10 or so, it felt like mum and dad had to say, “Give Granny a kiss”, especially to GS. I compromised by dropping a kiss on the top of his head.

Now at 16 he towers over me. When they start seeing us again, it will just be a “Hi” and “Bye”;when they come and go.

Should say we have never been a demonstrative family. Think the last time DS gave me a kiss was after we left his wedding reception, 18 years ago. He gave me a hug and kiss, said “Thanks for everything. I love you Mum”.

And I know he does, without hugs and kisses all the time.

❤️

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-May-21 11:18:55

I intend to keep a suitable distance away from those I have no interest in hugging - which means anyone outside the immediate family.

I may offer to shake hands instead.

If the huggers want to hug, I intend to say, "sorry, but I am really only comfortable hugging my immediate family".

I realise they may be hurt, but why should they have the right to impose their norms on me?

Doodledog Tue 11-May-21 11:21:31

I am wondering why the government even thought it necessary to mention this.
It's all part of the cult of Johnson. People have got used to seeing what 'Boris' will allow them to do, and give him credit for the good bits.

sazz1 Tue 11-May-21 11:21:46

I must admit I find it really odd that the prime minister is on national television telling people they will have permission to enter others houses, leave the country, enter a pub or restaurant, and hug people!! It is definitely a very strange time we are living in atm.

faringdon59 Tue 11-May-21 11:23:15

As children born in the Fifties and brought up in the Sixties, I don't recall seeing people hugging in the street or cafes.
In fact I'm of the opinion that it came about because of:
our entry to Europe:-)
Being able to enjoy foreign travel and the cafe culture.
Parents in the Sixties were still diligently teaching their children good manners, respect,etc.
I can't ever recall being hugged by my grandparents who I went out with often, but I knew they cared.
Having said all of that I am looking forward to hugging my grandchildren again. The last time I really hugged the youngest one (now aged 9) was on the 8th March 2020!!

Nannashirlz Tue 11-May-21 11:30:42

The only ppl I hug are my boys and one of my daughter inlaws other one has never being a hugger. Obviously I hug my grandkids and don’t think I will ever stop with any of them. As with friends and distance family etc. I just smile and say hi ?‍♀️. If anyone tried to hug I’d step back and say sorry but with how the world is I’d rather we didn’t. Well that’s what I’m planning but I can’t see anyone else trying to be honest.

Jillybird Tue 11-May-21 11:30:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davida1968 Tue 11-May-21 11:34:45

Nannashirlz, I like your phrase! I think I'll use it - thanks! (I'm happy to hug family and close friends, but IMO some acquaintances do take liberties....)

sandelf Tue 11-May-21 11:43:50

Being hugged is for FAMILY. Anyone else - no thank you. But how to communicate that to the friendly husbands of friends!!?? Liberties - far too often for it to just be incidental.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 11:45:17

I’m not a huggy person. But many years ago when my marriage broke up I felt terribly alone, especially at weekends when I wasn’t working. And I can still remember my SIL’s grandad giving me a hug one day and it made me so happy. When I was working if any of our patients were going through a bad time I wouldn’t say anything but, as they left I would go outside and hug them. I knew that sometimes people were just holding it together and it was best not to do so till they were leaving. Sometimes a hug is worth more than a thousand words.