Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pilates? Info required please

(20 Posts)
vegansrock Tue 11-May-21 23:31:07

I love Pilates and until lockdown went twice a week. I do tend to get lower back problems and it’s the best exercise for relieving back pain. I’ve done some zoom classes but really miss the in person classes. I’ve got my own mat. I can do press-ups and planks and various roll ups and roll downs. I prefer it to yoga which I’ve also done. I’m going to sign up for classes again soon.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 23:07:47

I’ve actually got a beginners pilates dvd which I don’t think I’ve ever played. Must get it out.

trisher Tue 11-May-21 22:11:21

I've been doing a pilates class on zoom since the first lockdown. I was worried when I first started because I'd been told it can be difficult.. I've got a lovely teacher who keeps an eye on us and offers helpful suggestions. I'd say check your teacher's qualifications, tell them about any injuries you have and they should keep warning you if there is anything which might cause you difficulty. Finally only do what you are able and don't do anything which you feel is a strain.

mamaa Tue 11-May-21 22:03:54

Thankyou all- great helpful comments. Looking forward to going now- a new experience which will hopefully be of benefit both physically and with regards to wellbeing.

mokryna Tue 11-May-21 21:25:47

I signed up last September for my first try of doing Pilates. It had to go online when lockdown happened so I do it with the others in my class on zoom. I told the teacher I have knee and back problems and she keeps this in mind, however I do feel it is also up to me to use my common sense. I wear a loose top and leggings (my daughters throw offs) and soft flexible gym shoes. I enjoy Pilates and will sign up next September.

M0nica Tue 11-May-21 19:34:43

I used to do pilates, and really enjoyed it, but all classes stopped with lockdown while my Tai Chi kept going with online classes and gradually I have done more classes in Tai Chi and have decided to concentrate on that. Without lockdown I would be doing it still.

What to wear? loose clothing. In my class, which was very mixed, we had some people with just loose trousers and sweater, tracksuit bottoms and Tshirts and some in lycra. Footwear was anything or none. Whatever you wear you will not be out of place ata pilates class.

Most gyms provide mats, butIi always had my own.

Mapleleaf Tue 11-May-21 18:52:07

I'm glad that you have decided to join the class. A good teacher will go through with you any problems, medical issues or concerns you might have and, if necessary, tweak movements to suit your needs.

It is a very gentle form of exercise, though can still be challenging, but as I say, your teacher will guide you.

As regards equipment and clothing, you will find a mat helpful, and then if you decide you want to continue, you might like to add extra equipment such as a stretchy band, a soft ball, a small spiky ball and a slim cushion - but none of these are essential when you start. Clothing should be loose and comfortable, such as loose tee shirt and leggings. I too, like to wear socks as I suffer with cold feet too.

It's nothing like aerobics, much slower and gentler, rather like yoga.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Amberone Tue 11-May-21 18:37:13

I used to do pilates and yoga regularly. It's brilliant for stretching out the muscles all over the body and gets rid of aches and pains that you get from muscles that have tightened up. If you have a problem you should tell the instructor and they should give you alternative moves to do or tell you to sit out certain moves. I would say go along and try a few sessions - it can make a world of difference even to everyday movements like stairs and walking, plus helps your balance.

Sardinia2020 Tue 11-May-21 17:44:12

I would definitely advise you to give it a try. It will help with aches and pains, make you more flexible and you’ll feel amazing afterwards and proud of yourself. Beginners pilates will involve lots of gentle stretching and will be a slow pace. It will help to strengthen your core and improve your balance. Wear something comfortable, leggings, joggers, T shirt. If you start to enjoy it, you could treat yourself to some new fitness clothes. Some people wear socks, some have bare feet. Some people take their own mat, others use the ones provided. I really hope you enjoy it.

avitorl Tue 11-May-21 17:41:49

I was advised to do Pilates because I have back problems. I loved it when I was able to go to a very small Group but not so much when I had to go to a larger Group.
I would really like to do it again if I can find somewhere suitable for me.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 11-May-21 17:37:53

As already said a good teacher will check any ailments etc before starting a class. I found it really good for toning up.
I used to do a class when I had gym membership. During lockdown I did some free online classes on Jotuffrey.com who I would recommend.

mamaa Tue 11-May-21 17:32:46

Thankyou for your comments thus far. Due to commitments already in the diary the earliest I can go is at the start of June. I’ve signed up, paid my money so will attend and hopefully will enjoy it. I used to really enjoy aerobics etc but those days are long gone!
If it’s a positive experience I’ll sign up for further sessions and feedback once I’m in the swing, as it were. Thanks again, I knew I’d get a response on here - feel much better about it all already. grin

Tizliz Tue 11-May-21 17:31:55

www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/chronic-back-pain-pilates-exercise-video/

My physio gave me this link which will give you an idea of the exercises. Been doing them for 5 weeks now and I am more flexible, think my back is a little better

There are other videos there for different conditions.

MerylStreep Tue 11-May-21 17:22:55

What tosh avoid it if you have a back problem
A good Pilates teacher will take all your details on joining and ask if you have any problems.
She/he will tell you not to do certain exercises, or, take you through exercises taking into account your back problems.
Just wear something comfortable until you decide you like it and then ( if you want) go for full on Lycra ?

Alegrias1 Tue 11-May-21 17:21:18

Great minds GG13 smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-May-21 17:19:37

Sorry Alegrias1 cross post.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-May-21 17:19:06

Love Pilates, I do have a lower back problem and I find it really helps, have been going for twenty years.

Loose clothing is ideal, please explain to the teacher before you start all (if any) of your physical problems/weaknesses as the exercises can be tweaked to accommodate them.

Alegrias1 Tue 11-May-21 17:19:05

I did a lot of Pilates before the first lockdown. Loved it.

If the teacher is good they will make sure you are working at your own level and will not push you to do more than you can manage. Although as they get to know you, you might find that they "encourage" you to try something a bit harder smile.

I usually wore just leggings and a t-shirt, but do wear socks - my feet got cold!

Tell the teacher if you have any problems you might be worried about, such as a bad back or something similar. They will advise you what is right for you if they are a good teacher.

I found it very effective. I've never been able to do press ups before but they soon became "do-able" for me.

Give it a go, tell us how you get on. smile

ExD Tue 11-May-21 17:12:30

I also considered it, but was put off by a friend who said to avoid it if you have a back problem. My back is a problem so I didn't go.

mamaa Tue 11-May-21 17:06:12

As the title would suggest Im after info regarding Pilates. A new beginners class is starting up near me and I’m considering joining but would like to hear from those grans who go/have been to Pilates, what it entails and what is required, clothing, fitness etc.

Since lockdown 1 I’ve not really done much exercise and have become a couch potato. Running isn’t a thing I’d ever do so couch to 5k is a non starter.
I was attending Aquafit twice a week before March 2020 but wondered if Pilates would be of more benefit with the added advantage of not getting wet!

I’ve signed up for a taster session but would like to have an idea of what to expect before I go. TIA smile