Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Graduation Photos

(84 Posts)
teachkate Tue 25-May-21 14:33:57

When to you think it’s ok to stop displaying your children’s graduation photos? Our adult children are now 40,38 & 35.
We’re redoing our house & I’m wondering is this now the time to leave them down? ? ?

ajswan Sat 29-May-21 11:03:11

Thank you so much. I did have my house sold but I have taken it off the market. We live 40 minutes away from each other, the good solution but not really practical, would be to buy my own house nearer to him. Oops sorry to change the subject of the thread

welbeck Sat 29-May-21 01:10:01

Calendargirl

ajswan

I might give it all a lot more thought and discussion before selling my own house....

i second that.
ajswan, what would you say to someone who presented that scenario to you.
i think you'd better think it out again.

bridie54 Fri 28-May-21 22:17:28

I have my daughters 2 graduation photos included in my family ‘photo wall’. Both are beautiful photos and I was and still an incredibly proud of her achievements. My son chose a different career path so no graduation but I have lovely family photos of him. If you like the photos then n keep them up. I just add more photos to my wall.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 28-May-21 11:31:36

Being very solidly working class, none of us obviously (apart from me aged 44 getting an MSc, no first degree) ever graduated from anything.

I think this is what they call a first world problem

Calendargirl Fri 28-May-21 09:50:26

ajswan

I might give it all a lot more thought and discussion before selling my own house....

ajswan Fri 28-May-21 09:44:20

I might add that the huge photos in the hall are his AC wedding photos from many years ago and they completely dominate the hall

ajswan Fri 28-May-21 09:41:52

Buffybee

As you’re re-doing your house, you could put the photos in a drawer and if no-one comments on them not being on show, then it should be fine.
If someone mentions, you could always say, you haven’t got round to putting them out yet.
I doubt any of your adult children will even notice.

Mine is a slightly different problem. I am engaged to a 78 year old, I am 76. The plan is to sell my house and move into his. The problem is that there are huge photos of his two AC on the hall wall, in oval frames and I mean huge. (One now divorced). There were also two large photos of him and his late wife in the lounge, he has moved on of them. Also his two AC keep referring to the house as our Mums house. He will not move into mine or sell both houses and buy another one together. There is also a large wooden plaque in the garden called xxxxxxxxs patch, any advice please

NanaCB Fri 28-May-21 06:55:18

MelBB

NanaCB

I find that many photos of my children taken in the 70s and 80s, even professional ones, have faded very badly. Having them restored professionally is very expensive so do any of you technically minded out there have any suggestions, please?

I just used my mobile phone to photograph a really old 1950s photo, then tried different filters and sent off for a copy using the Freeprints app!! It camr out really well too.

Thank you MelBB, I’ll give it a try. In contrast, I have black and white photos of my father and his sisters which are over a hundred years old and still pin sharp.

welbeck Fri 28-May-21 00:58:14

Elvis58

Keep them in a drawer time to move on.l told my daughters to stop with the grandchildrens school photos got to much.

is there a back story here.
how do you mean, it got too much.
you could just put them in a drawer, or an album or envelope.
you don't have to display them.
seems a bit rejecting to ask them to stop sending them.
or am i missing something ?

welbeck Fri 28-May-21 00:42:41

Florida12

My photos are all in albums, wedding, graduations, family hols, old school photos.
In fact, when I cleared out my late parents bungalow, I found my graduation photo from 1977, I don’t think it ever saw the light of day.

that really is the best way to keep them in good condition, esp if they are rare/unique.
any exposure to sunlight, will cause fading.

CanadianGran Thu 27-May-21 22:49:11

I never did put up graduation photos of my kids. I have baby photos, and a collage of family photos in one frame in my office. In the kitchen I have one collage frame of all 4 grand-kids, and can put their yearly school photo in as we get new ones. I will admit to being a procrastinator when it comes to photos, and the littlest grandchild's photo is outdated and needs updating.

For a while we had one of the digital frames and it was brilliant. It eventually stopped working but I didn't get a replacement (procrastinating again).

Yammy Thu 27-May-21 21:46:16

They are in the study alongside the framed copies of my husband's degrees and M.D. Somehow along the way, my teaching certificate has never joined the wall of fame.
I have also put the wedding photos upstairs of DD and have one really good one of the GC together in the lounge

Elvis58 Thu 27-May-21 20:09:41

Keep them in a drawer time to move on.l told my daughters to stop with the grandchildrens school photos got to much.

grannyactivist Thu 27-May-21 18:44:51

I was the first in my family and the only one of my generation to go to University and even then I did it as a mature student, so seeing my children's graduation photos always gives me a little feeling of delight. Having said that, I have a rotation system and switch around the photographs that are on display. Right now I'm looking across the room at nine framed photo's of my children and grandchildren that were taken two summers ago. smile

Harris27 Thu 27-May-21 18:28:05

My son lost a lot of weight and asked me to take his down which I did. He does look much better now physically but I loved him anyway he was.

MelBB Thu 27-May-21 16:29:37

I agree with the person who said to have up to date photos put up. That way, they won't feel relegated and you could perhaps get some nice new frames. (The Range's Jonas and James are nice!!!)

MelBB Thu 27-May-21 16:27:17

NanaCB

I find that many photos of my children taken in the 70s and 80s, even professional ones, have faded very badly. Having them restored professionally is very expensive so do any of you technically minded out there have any suggestions, please?

I just used my mobile phone to photograph a really old 1950s photo, then tried different filters and sent off for a copy using the Freeprints app!! It camr out really well too.

jaylucy Thu 27-May-21 16:10:36

They can stay in situ as long as you want them to, as far as I am concerned!
They are part and parcel of your families history and no different from displaying baby or toddler photos or even wedding photos when the marriage is long lasting!

mathiasella Thu 27-May-21 14:36:50

I had a friend who had two lots of photos. The arty ones always hung but when family visited from out of town, they were treated to the family history!

timetogo2016 Thu 27-May-21 14:19:24

I put my 2dc photo`s away a few years ago.
They said it was about time too.
Charming.

theworriedwell Thu 27-May-21 14:14:21

I swap photos round, I have 4 kids 6 GC and have had everything from my wedding photos, baby photos, Baptism/First Holy Communion/Weddings not to mention school photos, starring roles in plays photos. Can't have them all up at once but what I am careful about is having everyone shown somewhere. Quite a relief recently when my bossy 4 year old granddaughter demand to know why there wasn't a photo of her daddy and I was able to show her there was (don't think she recognised him with hair.)

Peasblossom Thu 27-May-21 14:13:16

Well Petera, the belief is that if you keep stuff about you, particularly photos, of people as they were in the past it makes it more difficult to establish a relationship with them as they are now. For you to see them as the people they are now and respect that. For them to feel they are respected for the people they have become.

I like photos of us in the recent past. The people we are, not who we were.
But then I’m someone who only really faces forwards ?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 27-May-21 14:07:49

There’s not rule is there, you do what you want to do whenever surely it’s your house, our sons graduation photos were up for around 4 years we have changed decor etc since then still got up but in instead of up in our lounge, they have been moved to another part of the house, I’m sure he’s not bothered, it sounds to me you don’t want them up but that’s fine too, I like to change things round,

Paperbackwriter Thu 27-May-21 14:03:30

foxie48

Gosh I didn't know I was meant to display them I just put them in a drawer!

Me too - never occurred to me even to frame them!

Noreen3 Thu 27-May-21 13:29:41

keep them,as they are something to be proud of.But maybe put them in a less prominent position now