Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Travel to France advise please ….

(59 Posts)
DeeDe Mon 14-Jun-21 11:13:14

My friend & her husband have booked to travel to France for a visit her sister next week, she’s concerned and confused if there’s any likelihood of changes? Going out and returning in a few weeks
I tried checking on the Gov website, but felt unsure myself
Anyone know please can they still travel ok ?
They have both had their Covid injections
Be grateful for any advice for them please ..

Aveline Thu 17-Jun-21 10:08:33

The situation seems to change all the time.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:33:33

Isn’t U.K. on the European dodgy list as we are the only country where cases and in particular delta cases are rising.

Jonathan89 Thu 17-Jun-21 07:00:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Aveline Wed 16-Jun-21 20:09:07

There was little Delta here as well until just a few weeks ago!!

Parisgranny Wed 16-Jun-21 18:52:13

Cases here in France are much lower than in UK now so it’s all a bit ridiculous, particularly as there is little Delta gere

MaggsMcG Wed 16-Jun-21 18:19:02

Its not just the quarantine here we know about that. They should really check what France are doing about people from UK. They might find they can't travel there anyway, vaccinations or not. They might have to quarantine for 10 to 14 days there too. Not worth the risk to France or UK.

mokryna Wed 16-Jun-21 16:50:44

Maggiemaybe

mokryna

My NHS daughter has informed me the 4th wave has arrived. Vaccine does not stop all.

Here from tomorrow we don’t have to wear masks outside if not in a crowd and the curfew is being lift from Sunday.

Action replay, Delta will come in via tourism and we will be in lockdown again.

We haven't had a third wave yet.

Just repeating what she said from her northern point of view.

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Jun-21 16:15:14

France is lifting its curfew on Sunday, three weeks early and the need for masks outside at markets etc.

Tish Wed 16-Jun-21 16:06:02

It’s already here unfortunately… and there will be other variants too.

Tish Wed 16-Jun-21 16:04:51

Anyone travelling abroad in the middle of this pandemic has to be prepared for ANY changes/conditions put in effect by the government of the country they are travelling from and too….

JCFrance Wed 16-Jun-21 15:56:28

I desperately want to visit my family in UK but I’m not going to until it’s very, very safe. I know it’s difficult but please people just stay in your own country. I live in a low case area but the last thing I want is another peak/lockdown.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Jun-21 15:30:45

Or were you meaning a fourth wave in France? Sorry, when you quoted your NHS daughter I assumed she was talking about the UK? Some scientists are warning that we've now entered our third wave.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Jun-21 15:16:27

mokryna

My NHS daughter has informed me the 4th wave has arrived. Vaccine does not stop all.

Here from tomorrow we don’t have to wear masks outside if not in a crowd and the curfew is being lift from Sunday.

We haven't had a third wave yet.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-Jun-21 13:15:18

She would be well advised to phone the French Embassy in London and ask what documentation the French authorities require and whether their restrictions are likely to be changed.

I too feel it is too early to be going abroad, but it is of course her decision.

GrauntyHelen Wed 16-Jun-21 12:54:38

It's on the amber list they could go but it involves testing and quarantine I'd not go unless it was absolutely imperative

mokryna Wed 16-Jun-21 12:36:51

Goldencity Wed 16-Jun-21 11:55:05

I live in France, cases are falling and vaccinations rising. We had our first jab in May and our second last week (Moderna). The vaccination centre is working 7 days a week and was packed.
France is opening up, tourist attractions and cafe terraces are open.

U.K. nationals no longer need a “compelling reason” to travel to France as they did earlier in the year, and if France is your main residence you have always been allowed to return home, but, as we did in January, you had to show “proof” - we used our impots declaration and EDF bill.

France classes the U.K. as “Amber” the chart shows the entry requirements depending on if you are vaccinated or not.

Of course you have to do the 10 day quarantine and testing when back in the U.K., depends how much you want to travel as to how off putting that is.

Welshwife Wed 16-Jun-21 11:34:43

I think that was quite common - refusing people at border control - a few weeks ago. People living in France with children studying in U.K. were sending them paperwork to prove the family lived in France.
Sometimes the people on the front line of various departments do not necessarily understand all the rules - this has increased with Brexit for British nationals - who in fact retain all their rights pre Brexit until the end of October. The new residency card works wonders fortunately but some people are still in the system and have yet to receive their cards.

TheMaggiejane1 Wed 16-Jun-21 11:26:10

A friend of mine travelled to France on 1st June . She had had both jabs and had done all the necessary tests. She was staying with relatives and had arranged to isolate with them before going to see the tennis. She was refused entry at the border and had to come home. She says they were only letting in French nationals and everyone else was turned away. It might have changed since then of course,

4allweknow Wed 16-Jun-21 11:26:10

Never mind all the Covid testing etc for France and Spain you will need an official certificate (sometimes from local Mayor) giving permission for you to stay unless you are booked in through a holiday company. Sometimes a letter from whoever will be hosting you will be accepted. These papers should be applied for a month in advance.

Twig14 Wed 16-Jun-21 11:09:05

It’s now 2 years since we were last at our house in France. We are desperate to go over to check all is ok. I honestly can’t see us going though not for a while. As others have said it’s an Amber list country. Even though both had the two vaccinations. Think we’ve come this far a short while longer to wait may be best. Hopefully things will change for the better.

Theoddbird Wed 16-Jun-21 10:54:34

Madness to leave the UK at the moment!

vickymeldrew Wed 16-Jun-21 10:42:05

Just search on the Gov.uk website for travel to and from France. It’s all there. Multiple tests mandatory and read information very carefully.
In my opinion, if you have young grandchildren in France and have been fully vaccinated, then all the obstacles are worth it.
Have to say if we were still in the EU then restrictions would already be lifted so it can’t be that dangerous !

Mamiejan Wed 16-Jun-21 10:40:37

Yes like Mamie ,we were (are,let’s stay positive !) looking forward to a family wedding in the uk ,but in September,haven’t seen my children or grandchildren for over a year now ,thank goodness for FaceTime!
Planning to go back to uk end of July ,the tests we need there make it very expensive,although Mamie , I have been told we can reclaim the cost of the return p c r from the social security so that would save a couple of hundred pounds ,but it’s the 10 day quarantine in the uk that causes the biggest headache ?

Welshwife Wed 16-Jun-21 10:30:40

If your son has a Carte de Sejour he should be able to travel home with no problem. Everyone is allowed to travel home.