Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My bank transferred my accounts without asking me. It must have been taken over but no one told me.

(24 Posts)
Lilylaundry Tue 15-Jun-21 12:22:51

I have banked with the Yorkshire Bank for more years than I remember. Recently, with no notification, I started receiving, from Virgin Money, information telling me how wonderful they were and they will look after my money well, etc. Not those words exactly but you get the gist.

No one asked me if I wanted to be transferred to Virgin Money. I had no idea Yorkshire Bank was disappearing out of my life.

I'm so miffed, how dare they? Is this legal?

I will be changing my accounts very soon to somewhere I choose to bank.

I'm beginning to like the idea of putting money under my mattress, so no greedy sods can't get at it. Unfortunately we get tied up with direct debits, salaries and pensions paid directly into a bank, etc.

What do other grans think please? Am I not woke to the doings of the banking system, or am I justified in seeing the red mist descent?

Shinamae Tue 15-Jun-21 12:25:39

Definitely justified!

Lilylaundry Tue 15-Jun-21 12:25:44

'I'm so miffed.....'. Not about Yorkshire Bank disappearing, about my accounts being transferred with asking me.

greenlady102 Tue 15-Jun-21 12:28:55

according to this, the accounts remain the same, only the name has changed? www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/19161259.clydesdale-yorkshire-bank-rebrand-virgin-money/

Spinnaker Tue 15-Jun-21 12:35:39

Been with YB for 45 years but we've been getting information about the name change for quite some time now. Nothing changes to our finances. At least we've been made aware, unlike we were when it changed from YB to Bank of Australia some years ago.

Marydoll Tue 15-Jun-21 12:43:57

I was with the Clydesdale, who also owned Yorkshire bank. They bought over Virgin and took their name. I received plenty of information about it in advance. All accounts and account nos. remained the same, just the name changed.

Ashcombe Tue 15-Jun-21 12:53:03

It sounds as if there’s been a lack of communication between your bank and you, so your annoyance is understandable.

If you are looking to bank elsewhere, I would recommend Nationwide as I’ve received excellent service and support from them. I bank online but there is a branch in my town which is convenient on the rare occasions I need it!

Lin52 Tue 15-Jun-21 12:55:09

Lilylaundry

I have banked with the Yorkshire Bank for more years than I remember. Recently, with no notification, I started receiving, from Virgin Money, information telling me how wonderful they were and they will look after my money well, etc. Not those words exactly but you get the gist.

No one asked me if I wanted to be transferred to Virgin Money. I had no idea Yorkshire Bank was disappearing out of my life.

I'm so miffed, how dare they? Is this legal?

I will be changing my accounts very soon to somewhere I choose to bank.

I'm beginning to like the idea of putting money under my mattress, so no greedy sods can't get at it. Unfortunately we get tied up with direct debits, salaries and pensions paid directly into a bank, etc.

What do other grans think please? Am I not woke to the doings of the banking system, or am I justified in seeing the red mist descent?

Left Yorkshire Bank many years ago, when they stopped my account for no reason, after many years of having my salary paid in, complaining letters were sent, guess what, a computer glitch, as I said to them someone has to feed information into a computer, of course then got demands from companies, because of course DD were stopped. Did get some compensation, since then have advised family and friends to steer clear

Lin52 Tue 15-Jun-21 12:57:48

Went fully over to Nationwide, had always mortgaged with them, plenty of choice re accounts, friendly and helpful. Money safe with them and happy with my choice.

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-Jun-21 12:59:06

I'd be miffed as well to have had no notice, Lilylaundry. Our Alliance & Leicester account was hoovered up by Santander many years ago, and I wasn't very happy about it, though we did have advance notice. It's been absolutely fine for ages now, but there were a few teething problems at the time.

Mattsmum2 Tue 15-Jun-21 13:00:17

By law they have to notify you and you have a right to object under Part vii transfer. That’s nit to say that you can stop it happening as long as you are fundamentally not changed. Maybe check they have the correct contact details.

Squiffy Tue 15-Jun-21 13:02:51

Nationwide for us, too. Local branch still open and you get lovely, efficient service. I also do internet banking with them.

I’ve also been with First Direct for donkeys years and you can still do your banking over the phone with them.

Savvy Tue 15-Jun-21 13:09:28

A few years ago I was with Alliance and Leicester, I found out they'd transferred everything across to Santander via a TV commercial! Not even a letter to their customers.

If I went into branch if would take them in excess of 15mins to find my account because 'its an old one and on a different system.'

I changed banks as soon as I could, and what a hassle Santander made of that! Moved my direct debits, but refused to move my bank balance.

Elegran Tue 15-Jun-21 13:11:08

Have you looked in your junk folder?

Hithere Tue 15-Jun-21 14:18:18

Were you ever notified of the change via mail/email/ call?

These changes usually dont happen out if the blue and require a lot of preparation, notifications and time

Lilylaundry Tue 15-Jun-21 14:29:06

I look into my junk folder most days and there was nothing from either bank. The only bank left in our town is Barclays . I was with them for a while with my business account. I asked them to transfer money into another business account on a certain date and they didn't do it. The lady involved was on a course on the day of the transfer so it wasn't done despite her leaving instructions with her colleagues. I had a shop then and was an agent for one of these companies who top up electricity keys, mobiles, etc., so I needed to transfer a load of money. When the company didn't receive the money they immediately took the agency from me.

I staged a sit in at the local Barclays until they transferred the money as they told me nothing could be done until the lady I was dealing with returned to the office the next day.

I received a bunch of flowers and an apology from the bank. I closed the account when the transaction was done and thankfully got the agency back.

It seems to me there is not much to choose between these banks. I feel sure if I owed them money they wouldn't leave me alone until they were paid. I'm looking longingly at my mattress!!

Marydoll Tue 15-Jun-21 15:00:36

I also got mail informing me of the changes, as did my husband. I then got a new Virgin bank card, well before the expiry date of the Clydesdale one.

Lilylaundry, have you checked the details the bank have on file for you? An obvious suggestion,I know.

Marydoll Tue 15-Jun-21 15:02:10

I mean mail by post,not email, despite being signed up for paperless statements.

Pittcity Tue 15-Jun-21 17:42:36

I'd look at Money saving expert if you want to change account. There are some that pay you to switch. It's quite painless to do nowadays.

Scentia Tue 15-Jun-21 17:55:31

I bank with Monzo. It is an app on my phone and as I spend money it will pop up on my phone to tell me what I have spent. They will swap all the account and DD’s over for you. Plus you get a fluorescent orange card!! You can set the app do you can’t go overdrawn too which is good for some people.

rockgran Tue 15-Jun-21 18:11:14

Not sure why you haven't had any warning. We've had lots of information from them about the changeover both by email and snail mail. The actual physical bank is also now refurbished in the Virgin Money colours (red as opposed to blue) as is the website. Our current account now earns some interest so it seems a good thing so far! We haven't had to do anything but I feel they have kept us well informed.

NotAGran55 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:33:44

Lilylaundrey it might be worth checking if there is a
‘No marketing’ marker set on your account which may have been over zealous?

SueDonim Tue 15-Jun-21 18:39:12

I have a rarely-used account with Clydesdale, which is the same banking group as Yorkshire Bank. I’ve never been notified of the change to Virgin - the first I knew of it was when I was in town and saw that the Clydesdale Bank was decked out in new red Virgin livery! confused

Savvy Tue 15-Jun-21 20:17:06

I've had the same issue with o2, the day after I renewed the contract for my tablet with them, they announced that they had formed a partnership with Virgin Media! We'd had no warning that it was in the offing and if I had, I would never have renewed the contract with them. I'm waiting for the contract on my phone to expire and I won't be renewing that.

Virgin Media even had the nerve to approach me, looking for a sale, when the removal men where literally carrying my belongings into my flat on the day I moved in. They then bombarded me with junk mail for months on end.

On a side note, although this may be a coincidence, the merger happened last week, and today, for the first time in two years, I'm getting spam calls!