Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange beliefs about the covid jab

(126 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Tue 15-Jun-21 15:02:00

A member of my family has developed strange beliefs about the covid jab. In particular they believe that anyone who has had it is a danger to them and have cut off any vaccinated family members.
Unfortunately I think there is a lot of fake information being circulated online. I would like to ask if anyone else has members of their family who avoid vaccinated people and if so how have they dealt with this?

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 23:43:30

NotSpaghetti

I have an old friend who believes that vaccinated people "shed" and cause menstrual problems in women. Her daughter won't mix with my daughter now. She doesn't want to be contaminated by my daughter "shedding" on her.

You are not alone Onward.
Unfortunately.

What are they shedding?

We all shed all the time, hair, skin etc.
We're quite revolting grin

greenlady102 Wed 16-Jun-21 23:55:53

lets get clear here
"asymtomatic" means that someone is infected without having symptoms or having minimal symptoms. Their bodies are actually making and shedding new virus.
The only difference between asymptomatic and symptomatic infection is that asymptomatic people don't know they have got it so are more likely to be wandering around shedding than if they felt ill

The only way that vaccinated people can transmit the virus is if they are one of the very few people who have a failed vaccination OR they have picked up a viable virus particle or two and pass it onto someone else before it dies. Hence the hands face space thing. By and large a vaccinated body cannot make new virus, cannot therefore make mutated virus and cannot walk around shedding virus.

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 00:01:55

Callistemon

NotSpaghetti

I have an old friend who believes that vaccinated people "shed" and cause menstrual problems in women. Her daughter won't mix with my daughter now. She doesn't want to be contaminated by my daughter "shedding" on her.

You are not alone Onward.
Unfortunately.

What are they shedding?

We all shed all the time, hair, skin etc.
We're quite revolting grin

Viral shedding happens when live attenuated vaccine is used or when the person actually has the viral infection. people with shingles shed virus for instance. You can't shed after covid vac because there is no virus in it at all. Good article here
www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/what-is-vaccine-shedding-covid

Janwood66 Thu 17-Jun-21 05:22:52

I am new to the forum and site. We have been stopped from seeing our 9 year old grandson because we have been vaccinated. My son's ex-partner believes we will shed parts of the spike protein onto our grandson. We tried to maintain contact with our GS via WhatsApp but she has now blocked us from this also. We played a big part in his life and were supportive of her even when her and our son split up. We are devastated and don't know where to turn. Has anyone else been affected by this situation after being vaccinated?

M0nica Thu 17-Jun-21 08:15:25

Janwood66 How desperately sad for you, but as your DGS's mother is now blocking WhatsApp, this does suggest that she has been looking for a reason to break contact between you and him and the belief about the spike protein hurting him has provided an excuse for her to do so.

Rather than concentrate on the reason she has given for breaking contact. I would work with your son on finding out why she wants to break contact. Does she have another man in her life? Is h influencing her. I would talk to your son and work with him on this.

LtEve Thu 17-Jun-21 08:17:31

There is a constant flow of misinformation surrounding covid from both sides although the anti vax side is more dramatic.
One of the ones concerning me at the moment is symptomatic people saying ‘ I did a test today and it was fine’ they mean they’ve done one of the lateral flow tests, if you have symptoms you are supposed to book a PCR test and isolate until you get a negative result.

Mattsmum2 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:44:48

Very good horizon program on last night and in iPlayer about the vaccine. If everyone watched it maybe those anti vax people would think again.

OnwardandUpward Thu 17-Jun-21 08:47:54

Janwood66

I am new to the forum and site. We have been stopped from seeing our 9 year old grandson because we have been vaccinated. My son's ex-partner believes we will shed parts of the spike protein onto our grandson. We tried to maintain contact with our GS via WhatsApp but she has now blocked us from this also. We played a big part in his life and were supportive of her even when her and our son split up. We are devastated and don't know where to turn. Has anyone else been affected by this situation after being vaccinated?

Yes, banned from seeing members of my family because of being vaccinated. I dont want to write details publically, but am happy if you want to message me @Janwood66

OnwardandUpward Thu 17-Jun-21 08:55:36

@Janwood66 so sorry to hear how painful it is. I do wonder as well whether some people are using covid as an excuse not to see people who they are not fond of- or whether they really are terrified?
One of my relatives, who has cut me off does not even believe in covid, yet seems to have huge fears about vaccinated people saying that they will kill un vaccinated people and are contributing to a loss of freedom.

It's just so terribly sad and doesn't make a lot of sense. There seems to be a lot of fearmongering and I hope no one turns the vaccine down because they are threatened with no contact if they have it- because no one should be threatened. What we do with our own body is our business and no one elses. Anyone who really loves us would accept our right to choose, I feel.

I feel sorry for all the innocent children caught up in this as well as the adults who have lost much.

Do I regret having the vaccine because of my loss? No.
Am I heartbroken. Yes.

Tricky! flowers for all caught in the crossfire.

Elegran Thu 17-Jun-21 09:29:57

The people mentioned who believe that vaccinated people will "shed" the virus onto the unvaccinated have heard it said that "Unsymptomatic vaccinated people may pass it on" without adding the few words left out - " If they do catch it, or had already caught it before vaccination, but don't show any symptoms vaccinated people may pass it on"

There is a kind of logic from the facts to the fantasy, but they don't seem to realise that the virus is NOT a live one, which could be reproducing in the body, so there is nothing to shed.

If you get a chance, tell them the bit that has not been made clear in the statement, and add that the vaccination doesn't involve the live virus, so cannot be passed on unless someone has actually caught the real virus. That is if they will listen to you - there are none so deaf as those who won't hear.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 09:47:03

Greenlady
I know this - but some don't believe it.

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 09:54:51

some of these people sound mentally unwell

Polarbear2 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:58:11

My GP/A&E SIL came to tea last night. Told us he wasn’t vaccinated. I nearly fell off my chair. This guy sees patients every day. He said he didn’t want AZ because of clots and the others might damage your DNA. I worked in research for many years and trust implicitly the process they have used. I didn’t challenge him as we have a fragile relationship anyway. I just laughed. But - my overriding thought is if he thinks this - why did he not tell his dad to not have the jab?? Is he happy for his dad to take this perceived risk? I’ve always thought he was after his inheritance and this adds to my belief. (Am laughing to myself here). He doesn’t come here often so I’ll just steer clear. My oH isn’t happy either.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 17-Jun-21 10:07:31

Janwood66

Bless you...this sounds like she’s been looking for an excuse. Honestly, the world is going mad!

Toadinthehole Thu 17-Jun-21 10:13:17

I think some people have been watching too many Zombie films. A case of mixing up fantasy with reality!

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 10:28:24

Yes, like this

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:22:18

Polarbear2

My GP/A&E SIL came to tea last night. Told us he wasn’t vaccinated. I nearly fell off my chair. This guy sees patients every day. He said he didn’t want AZ because of clots and the others might damage your DNA. I worked in research for many years and trust implicitly the process they have used. I didn’t challenge him as we have a fragile relationship anyway. I just laughed. But - my overriding thought is if he thinks this - why did he not tell his dad to not have the jab?? Is he happy for his dad to take this perceived risk? I’ve always thought he was after his inheritance and this adds to my belief. (Am laughing to myself here). He doesn’t come here often so I’ll just steer clear. My oH isn’t happy either.

There is no rule that medics have to be any more sensible than anybody else. I used to work in the NHS and the amount of utter TOOT I have heard from doctors.

DanniRae Thu 17-Jun-21 11:59:39

The unvaccinated people I have met mainly say that the vaccine was developed too quickly and they will wait and see what happens to all of us vaccinated people. They never have any idea how long they need to wait before they feel it is safe! hmm

nightowl Thu 17-Jun-21 12:07:49

We can all find people who have what appear to be ridiculous beliefs and opinions about the different vaccines. But I prefer to listen to the different views of scientists, and people who have done their research, rather than dismiss everyone who refuses as stupid. There is always something to learn, on any topic under the sun.

sodapop Thu 17-Jun-21 12:25:46

The pandemic has caused many people to become stressed and very anxious. The vaccination issue is very real for them and should not be treated lightly. It must be hard to live with all these worries and feeling fearful.
My daughter has noted a lot of new referrals to her community mental health team because of these sorts of problems.

nightowl Thu 17-Jun-21 12:46:39

Good point sodapop

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:46:46

DanniRae

The unvaccinated people I have met mainly say that the vaccine was developed too quickly and they will wait and see what happens to all of us vaccinated people. They never have any idea how long they need to wait before they feel it is safe! hmm

I have used this argument and occasionally it works....

Its like getting in a cleaner or a gardener....if the work you want done would take one person 12 hours then two people together both with the right equipment would only take six hours. Its the same that happened with vaccine development. many many more people with much much more equipment made the job go faster. Its been the same with the regulatory testing....more people and more facilities.

Lucca Thu 17-Jun-21 12:48:13

A relative of mine has a cleaner who said she wasn’t having the jab. My relative said in that case she would not feel able to continue employing her and begged her to go and talk to her GP about her fears, which she did and has now had the jab. I wish people who have read scare stories would go and talk to a qualified person!

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:52:06

Lucca

A relative of mine has a cleaner who said she wasn’t having the jab. My relative said in that case she would not feel able to continue employing her and begged her to go and talk to her GP about her fears, which she did and has now had the jab. I wish people who have read scare stories would go and talk to a qualified person!

I wish they would use the brains and commonsense God gave them!

OnwardandUpward Thu 17-Jun-21 12:52:10

I wish people who hear scary stories would get their facts checked with someone medical or scientific, too!

I was told that if you have the vaccine then it will change your DNA and you won't be related to your family any more. Apparently these people do not understand the difference between DNA and RNA. (((SIGH)))

I think there are definitely people who have watched too many zombie films and lost touch with reality!