Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Jury service over 70 exemptions or exclusion

(8 Posts)
Jennyd Thu 17-Jun-21 21:52:20

When you are over 71 or over can you apply for exemption or exclusion without give any reasons - ie simply because you don't feel you aren't capable? I have read this somewhere but it isn't altogether clear.

25Avalon Thu 17-Jun-21 21:57:03

The age was extended to 75. You have to have very good reasons for being unable to be on Jury service. The best you can usually do is a postponement to another date.

Shelflife Thu 17-Jun-21 22:29:40

Yes jury service was extended to 75. I was called for jury service s few years ago aged 70, I was surprised , thought I had escaped it! It was a most interesting experience and I am glad I had the opportunity to attend court. It was daunting , I had never been on a court room before !

M0nica Thu 17-Jun-21 23:09:14

You could get exemption because you do not feel you are capable of it, but I think you would need a medical certificate.

I think that the courts administration is aware that over the age of 70 eople's cognitive functions may be failing and have their procedures. Perhaps you could ring or write to the court and explain your concerns.

However, many people of all ages, feel they are not capable of jury service, but do it all the same.

monk08 Thu 17-Jun-21 23:29:46

I would love to be called. My father was called just after my mother had died and having 2 young children to look after he got an exemption

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 00:21:03

I have been called twice and served on a jury once.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 18-Jun-21 04:45:09

Called and served on a Jury twice, lots of waiting around, so taking a book is a good idea.
It was very interesting though and I’m so pleased to have had the experience.

Grandma70s Fri 18-Jun-21 05:38:48

I’ve never been called for jury service, and I’m over 80 now so I never will be. Thank heavens for that.

My parents never did it either, but one of my sons was the jury foreman when he was 27.