Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suggestions for an alternative to HelloFresh Please

(20 Posts)
mumski Sun 20-Jun-21 11:45:44

I used HelloFresh about 18 months ago but stopped using it when all the vouchers and deals ran out and it went to full price which seemed really expensive. I loved the concept and the meals though.
I've just had a look again this morning as DD sent me a voucher. However I've noticed a lot of the meals now have a serving supplement of £1.99 - £3.99 which is a bit cheeky and can't get a first delivery until next Thursday.
Has anyone used a similar company and what did you think of them? Many thanks for any replies.

mumski Sun 20-Jun-21 13:48:13

Anyone? smile

Redhead56 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:52:01

My son gets Gousto some weeks for a treat and they are never disappointed with the meals. There is often good offers on too.

fevertree Sun 20-Jun-21 13:55:49

I dont know what HelloFresh is like, so I'm not sure that it compares, but we had Gousto for some months and enjoyed it. They delivered ingredients and recipes for 3 meals, the food was nice. It was a novelty but then I just defaulted back to my normal cooking . (We actually only signed up with Gousto as we felt sorry for the young man who came to our door).

Sorry, not much help.

Mattsmum2 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:22:38

I've used simply cook a few times. You get recipes and the spices, marinades and sauces and all you have to do is to provide the other ingredients, which it gives you a shopping list for. Its great for choosing different meals that I would not ordinarily choose. The first box I think was £3 and then its £9.99 per month. I'm just finishing my second box and have cancelled it for now as I am moving house. I would definitely use again for a bit of difference.

TerriBull Sun 20-Jun-21 14:22:51

I've never used Hello Fresh, although on on a thread on MN, there were some posters who said that they had found the fresh ingredients weren't so fresh when they were delivered and that put me off.

I have used Simply Cook once in a while, not quite the same because they supply the spices and flavourings for the meal and the fresh ingredients you have to buy yourself.

TerriBull Sun 20-Jun-21 14:26:41

I must have crossed with you Mattsmum grin I would echo what you have said, I would use them again too. Incidentally, my local Waitrose had a very limited supply, maybe 4 of their boxed products. On line there is a lot to choose from.

GrandmaKT Sun 20-Jun-21 14:33:32

I friend sent me an introductory offer for HelloFresh, so I'm awaiting our first delivery this week. Looking forward to trying it, but not sure I'm organised enough to use it full-time!

mumski Sun 20-Jun-21 17:11:55

Thank you for your replies. They have been really helpful. Think I will give Gusto a go and see how I get on xx

Atqui Sun 20-Jun-21 18:05:56

I have used Mindful Chef because the food is organic and free range, but it is expensive

greenlady102 Sun 20-Jun-21 18:07:48

can I ask why folk use the mealbox deliveries? This isn't any kind of snotty question.

Mattsmum2 Sun 20-Jun-21 18:11:40

TerriBull

I must have crossed with you Mattsmum grin I would echo what you have said, I would use them again too. Incidentally, my local Waitrose had a very limited supply, maybe 4 of their boxed products. On line there is a lot to choose from.

oh really, I guess they get people to shop there for ingredients too. I think its a good idea because I've bought some spices and ingredients in my time that I never seem to use again.

valdali Sun 20-Jun-21 18:21:52

I use simply cook as it's one day a week I can cook something different, without the gamble of a recipe I've found online that might turn out to take hours longer to prep than it says, or might be disappointing. Simply cooks are always tasty, & you know it's not going to take ages to do. Some things I'd never have thought of trying otherwise, have become family favourites and for these I get the spices & do them without the recipe kit. Others are nice to try, but we don't have again.

Revolucion Sun 20-Jun-21 20:32:43

Another vote for Simply Cook. Tasty and new recipes with a bit less effort than usual. You have to buy the ingredients other than the flavour pots but this means you can choose for example higher welfare meat if that is important to you.

fevertree Sun 20-Jun-21 20:43:43

Greenlady in response to your question - my daughter uses a fresh ingredient meal delivery service from time to time because she works long hours and although her husband cooks, he is not very good ? or organised.

I think people use them because it is convenient and you don't have to think about weekly meal planning, it's all done for you.

Floradora9 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:37:08

We have tried a couple of what are supposed to be " gourmet " ready meals which arrive frozen . I for get the name of thr first one but it was sadly lacking in the met content. The latest from " Transformation Chef " arrived hardly frozen at all and we have not enjoyed any of them . Our nearest M & S is in a high covid area so we cannot go there but I long for just a few ready but good meals. I do order Tesco Finest meal deals but get little choice with them but they are great value for £10 which includes wine . I am just sick of cooking after 56 years .

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Jun-21 17:26:27

Atqui

I have used Mindful Chef because the food is organic and free range, but it is expensive

We use them as well. The quality's always good and for every meal you buy, they donate a school meal to a child in poverty. But as Atqui says, they're not cheap.

Ellianne Mon 21-Jun-21 17:38:23

Another vote for Mindful Chef. I've got their cookery book which is good too and has interesting chapters on health and good sleep.

crazyH Mon 21-Jun-21 17:49:45

My daughter-in-law uses Hellofresh 3 days a week. Green lady, she uses them because she has one 5 year old and another just 2. It saves her a lot of shopping time and stress - she works part time. The ingredients are provided, plus the recipe - takes her all of 20 minutes. What’s not to like? TBH I don’t know the costs involved but she says it’s cost and time efficient.

Georgesgran Mon 21-Jun-21 17:59:56

I have 2 friends who’s AC both use these meals a couple of times a week. No meals to plan, no shopping and zero waste because portion size is controlled - they only supply what’s needed.