Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Getting rid of cds

(15 Posts)
Beau2020 Wed 30-Jun-21 18:59:26

I am a volunteer at a charity shop, I’m sure if you have one locally they would be only too pleased for any donations x

MerylStreep Tue 29-Jun-21 15:33:59

I don’t know what it is with CDs as I’m a serious chukka outer, even OH gets worried in case he stands still too long ?
I know there are 2,000 in the loft because I counted them when we moved here.

Sunny82z Tue 29-Jun-21 15:23:34

Great ideas thank you all very much.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Jun-21 08:49:30

Mine went through Music Magpie, and I also looked up each one on Spotify and made a list of those that were streamable from there. So only the ones that Spotify could not stream went.

Ali08 Tue 29-Jun-21 08:36:08

Craft with them!
Look for ideas on Pinterest and YouTube. Like people have already said, they keep birds away, but they can also be turned into pretty sun catchers, coasters, candle holders, curtains (not window curtains but the kind to hang at a door or to divide a room).
It's the cases that you'll be wanting rid of next! Lol

Jane43 Mon 28-Jun-21 22:22:09

Sites like Music Magpie and Ziffit do buy CDs, DVDs, books and computer games. You go on their site and input the bar code and it gives you a value. If you want to sell them you post them and if they are happy with the items they pay you. I did try this a couple of years ago but they claimed two of the most expensive games were damaged. Since the items had hardly been used and they said this after I had mailed the items to them it sounded very suspect so I didn’t sell any more. Charity shops may take them and somebody on my local Freecycle regularly asks for old CDs and DVDs. I would rather give them to somebody like that who has made a small business for themselves. Some market stores sell second hand DVDs and CDs and will buy them for around 50p each.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Jun-21 22:02:57

Ellianne used on the allotment to keep the pesky pigeons away!

MissChateline Mon 28-Jun-21 21:47:21

We have hundreds of CD’s which I’m very reluctant to get rid of despite the fact that we don’t have anything to play them on any more. I’ve been thinking of getting a CD ripper which is a machine that reads the tracks, stores them on the hard drive and plays them back through dedicated speakers such a Sonos system. It’s all controlled through an app on your phone or iPad.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Jun-21 18:50:04

We still sell them in our charity shop they are very popular at 50p each

Ellianne Mon 28-Jun-21 18:44:55

If you want to keep birds away from your plants and berries, hang shiny CDs from your trees. The reflection puts them off. My GC were mesmerised by them swinging in the breeze too.

Esspee Mon 28-Jun-21 18:19:36

I gave mine to the Oxfam record shop. They were wildly enthusiastic about my collection.

Nonogran Mon 28-Jun-21 17:32:27

Charity shops! Don’t bin them! All my local charity outlets sell them. Car boot sales are good too. You’d be surprised how many folk love “old” CDs.

MamaCaz Mon 28-Jun-21 17:06:32

Charity shops still sell them, and I still buy them sometimes.

Petera Mon 28-Jun-21 16:45:35

Sunny82z

Just wondering if anyone had found a way of getting rid of cds you no longer listen to. Putting them in the bin feels a bit iffy. Thanks

Music Magpie or Ziffit - you might make some money.

Sunny82z Mon 28-Jun-21 16:44:39

Just wondering if anyone had found a way of getting rid of cds you no longer listen to. Putting them in the bin feels a bit iffy. Thanks