Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What a quandary!

(53 Posts)
Newquay Sat 10-Jul-21 20:18:32

DH and I have been invited to visit DD2 for a week soon to look after DGD aged 7 for a few days which we would LOVE to do. We went to visit them a few weeks ago and SIL (a medic) told us how bad things are with COVID and getting worse and to be careful. Now they’ve invited us there saying it’s up to us whether we go or not! What’s to do?

Knopflerfan Wed 14-Jul-21 15:12:26

I haven’t seen my children, grandchildren or my 100-year old Mum since the end of 2019 .... all those memories not made, smiles not exchanged, jokes not cracked ...

So yes I agree, go but go carefully and don’t stay home and regret it!

Now our Covid passes from our Pfizer vaccinations here in France are not accepted by the UK, so in theory they could come and stay here and go back to the UK with just the mandatory tests- but we can’t go without quarantine. How unfair is that?!!

Hope you go and have a great time!

25Avalon Wed 14-Jul-21 12:54:38

Dd who is a teachers primary school has been sent home from school to isolate for 10 days as one of her class has tested positive.

Other dd says some are keeping their children home from the beginning of next week so they don’t catch covid which would stop them going on holiday the week after.

Newquay Wed 14-Jul-21 12:28:03

Thank you all of you for your contributions. We’re still undecided what to do-will wait til after announcement on Monday. At the moment we feel we should do both-go to see GC AND go away with other DD afterwards. Then we swing wildly the other way and think we won’t do either!! And so it goes on. . .

V3ra Tue 13-Jul-21 12:37:12

Our local junior school has three out of the four year groups currently isolating.
The church primary had the breakfast/after-school club, preschool plus three year groups isolating last week.
Other schools in town are reporting similar.

Grammaretto Tue 13-Jul-21 11:03:51

Our health centre is giving out lateral flow test kits so you can check you are free of the virus and ask the family to test too.

I've had both jabs and just spent a week on holiday in another part of Scotland with my DD and DGC.
If you avoid tourist hotspots and busy places and you are not immuno suppressed it should be fine. No one can be 100% certain so you have to decide yourself.
Go and enjoy.

Callistemon Tue 13-Jul-21 10:14:18

Katyj

It depends we’re you live. Covid is rife in schools here ,our local comprehensive with 1400 pupils closed its doors yesterday. I know 3 children at home isolating from 3 different schools.

But it does not mean that *Covid is rife* everywhere.

It may mean that one child in a form has tested positive for Covid and the whole form or bubble is sent home.

If eg 1,000 out of the 1,400 then test positive for Covid then it has indeed become rife.

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Jul-21 09:33:28

Covid is rife. 3 teachers tested positive at my grandson's school (he is 13) - several children also tested positive and large numbers of children sent home.

Students at the school where my daughter teaches (different to grandson's school) have tested positive and my daughter and other teachers have just had to complete 10 days' isolation.

Katyj Tue 13-Jul-21 05:27:46

It depends we’re you live. Covid is rife in schools here ,our local comprehensive with 1400 pupils closed its doors yesterday. I know 3 children at home isolating from 3 different schools.

justwokeup Tue 13-Jul-21 00:52:32

I don’t think covid is ‘rife’ in schools. Pupils having to self-isolate because one child in their bubble/class/year has covid or just has covid symptoms - that’s rife, and unfair on children and parents too. I would go but, if you’re worrying about missing your holiday, come clean and tell them that. Personally I would assess looking after DGD as a very small risk compared with going on a plane.

Susysue Tue 13-Jul-21 00:31:42

So.... on the one hand you are not wanting to travel and stay with one daughter and her family but on the other, you are going on "annual trip" to a foreign country, on a plane with added risk of covid!!! Sorry but this just does not add up!!! Why on earth do you think its safer to fly to menorca then it is to go to your daughter here!!!

Newquay Mon 12-Jul-21 22:47:57

Oh Lettice! ? DD and her DH are tested regularly (as are we!). Additional problem is, a couple of days after we return home from looking after these DGC, is our regular annual trip booked to Menorca with local DD and family. She thinks we’re putting us all at risk by mixing with her younger sister and her DH who works with COVID patients. Funnily enough (not!) dear sister’s younger son and his wife have both just had covid-took to their beds, very flu-like-so feel like we’re taking an unnecessary risk visiting GC. Local daughter and family will have quarantined by the time we should go on annual jolly (which is very safe btw) and will be tested.
Feel like (once again!) I’m choosing between DDs!

welbeck Mon 12-Jul-21 20:17:14

Golden Age, that's not a nice thing to say.
have it deleted.

coastalgran Mon 12-Jul-21 16:24:15

Fully vaccinated, adhere to guidelines, use common sense and you should be fine. After all we are going to have to get used to all this just like our ancestors and us got used to flu.

GoldenAge Mon 12-Jul-21 16:12:11

Go - you might be dead next year - caught under a bus!

EmilyHarburn Mon 12-Jul-21 15:58:41

You have to take precautions and be sensible. My holiday company is running their writing holidays in Skyros Greece and I shall be flying out on 21 August. I flew out last year as I had the flights but no holiday so did not travel to the Island but stayed with an English land lady outside Athens. We just have to use our common sense and stick with the new hygiene rules.

Milliedog Mon 12-Jul-21 15:23:01

If you are worried, ask your son and family to get tested before you arrive...

timetogo2016 Mon 12-Jul-21 14:41:47

No reason not to go,have a great time.

Lettice Mon 12-Jul-21 14:41:46

Complete diversion. It is the Word "Quandary" wot did it! When I was planning (I was a trainer for up dating some professional skills) I had a series of projects which I called Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Quandary. I also had some drawers labelled, This Term, Next Term, Some Term, Never.
Sorry for hi-jacking OP. BTW, I'd go.

SkyBird Mon 12-Jul-21 14:36:59

Please do go. You stated that you visited them quite recently with obviously no Covid-19 related health problems occuring from the visit. Covid-19 is here to stay but life must go on. Just take all necessary precautions and enjoy your precious GD.

LovelyLady Mon 12-Jul-21 14:34:01

Stay safe and at home.
I can’t be anymore blunt than that.

Nanette1955 Mon 12-Jul-21 13:12:20

Go, life has to move forward and the longer you hold off the harder it will be to get going again. X

grandtanteJE65 Mon 12-Jul-21 12:51:13

How are you going to travel? If you are driving yourselves I don't see any problem at all. If you are going by train the risk is slightly higher, or so I would think, but still fairly low as you have been vaccinated, and I have no doubt will take precautions.

I would go and enjoy myself.

Diane7 Mon 12-Jul-21 12:34:48

I would go, I live in Yorkshire and have recently travelled down to Leicestershire to look after my grandchildren. I don't drive now, I went on the train, it was virtually empty but I travelled during the week. Is your SIL like my daughter, a nurse, someone who works in a hospital and sees things from the 'front line'. Just a thought, my daughter wants to proceed with caution but I want my life back ..... but not recklessly.

Pippa22 Mon 12-Jul-21 12:25:03

I know two over 60’s in separate families double vaccinated and with Covid. Feeling really very unwell. In one of the families the mum and sons haw it but not the husband. None poorly enough for hospital but certainly poorly. We still need to be extremely careful as Covid is still very much here.

4allweknow Mon 12-Jul-21 12:13:53

You are fully vaccinated as are presumably your DD and SiL who will be doing regular tests too.probably your GD is subjected to testing with SiL in medical profession i know a nurse who has to keep testing her children as she is in contact with mental health patients. Go, enjoy your visit and GD.