Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you catch me out?

(199 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 15-Jul-21 11:53:24

We are a week away from letting an apartment we have bought and kitted out as a holiday let.
It’s been great fun decorating and furnishing in a contemporary style.

We hope guests will love it

Is there anything you can think of that would enhance your holiday experience or anything I may have forgotten?

All reasonable suggestions please

twinnytwin Thu 15-Jul-21 13:45:39

When we had our rental apartment we had a book with recommendations and tips and encouraged renters to add their own comments about local places to visit (or not) etc. We included the location of doctors etc for emergencies.

Chlot Thu 15-Jul-21 13:47:45

Something which I really welcome is an apron or pinafore; in 30 years of using holiday cottages, I have come across only one place that provided this useful article!

grannyactivist Thu 15-Jul-21 13:55:22

It may seem contrary, but I have a family who love to cook and bake - even (especially) when we’re on holiday. One of our favourite holiday let’s has a great selection of ovenware and bakeware, and I’m always happy to let the youngsters go off and take charge of the kitchen. ?‍????

JackyB Thu 15-Jul-21 18:31:29

In among soaps and things maybe some emergency tampons.

I've never thought of that before, but I can imagine it being something which could cause a real emergency.

Knowing most men and people on holiday generally, they will not want to read instruction manuals but if any of the appliances have any idiosyncrasies or non-intuitive switches or labels, maybe just a very short note clearly placed near the actual button to prevent damage or misuse.

Of course, not hundreds of post-it notes everywhere. Keep it simple.!

geekesse Thu 15-Jul-21 18:38:26

Try offering a choice of pillows. Some people love feather pillows, others hate or are allergic to them. I can’t get comfortable on fibre pillows, so I always end up having to take my own pillows on holiday if I want to sleep well.

Scribbles Thu 15-Jul-21 18:48:49

Don't forget the corkscrew!

CanadianGran Thu 15-Jul-21 18:51:33

I wouldn't expect food to be left, but the option for a very basic shop at cost would be nice. At one place we arrived very late due to flights, and all shops were closed.

Agree with basic salt, pepper, oil. Coffee filters or pods and tea, sugar.

Extra pillows are a bonus. A list of local shops, and take out menus for local restaurants.

If you are near a beach, a bucket and cheap toys for kids.

Scentia Thu 15-Jul-21 19:07:43

Free WIFI. Is a must for most people nowadays.
I always like tea and coffee for when I arrive in a cottage, helps until I can get to the shops.

Sago Thu 15-Jul-21 19:11:08

Scribbles As if!!!!
JackyB Tampons cannot be left for H&S reasons.

Thorntrees Thu 15-Jul-21 19:17:09

We’ve had many cottage holidays and agree with all the suggestions made so far. The one thing I would add is a really sharp bread knife. Quite often the very welcome hamper of local goods contains a lovely fresh loaf but the bread knife provided, to coin a phrase ‘wouldn’t cut butter’. We started taking our own but sometimes forgot or didn’t remember it when we left. Lots of luck with your venture,look forward to being able to enjoy cottage holidays again soon.

moggiek Thu 15-Jul-21 19:18:43

Definitely free wi-fi, with straightforward log on details - including a reasonably simple password.

HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Jul-21 19:23:09

Decent sized cups/mugs and glasses. I get so frustrated when I go away and have only got thimble sized receptacles. My tea at home is drunk out of a half pint sized china mug.

When our children were younger and we went to caravan parks, I had a "going away box" that I took each time which included large mugs/cups/glasses, tea towels, washing up liquid and brush, sharp knives, decent frying pan, kitchen roll, toilet rolls and a spatula!

Eloethan Thu 15-Jul-21 19:26:03

As others have said, things like washing up liquid/dishwasher tablets, salt, pepper, oil, etc. saves having to bring extra supplies or buying supplies just for one or two weeks. A decent, sharp knife, bread board, chopping board, tea strainer.

DVDs, books, jigsaws, games for adults and children are welcome if the weather isn't good.

A guest book with guests' suggestions as to restaurants, shops, places of interest, etc. is useful too.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Jul-21 19:31:54

Decent cooking equipment. Casserole dish, hand whisk, pans, cheese grater, wooden spoons etc.
Something to make "proper" coffee.

Good luck.

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Jul-21 19:37:29

grin re the bread knife, Thorntrees. A very proper friend of mine once stayed at a property without one and was incandescent that they had to tear their bread apart like savages. I don’t think she appreciated me quoting the phrase about the best thing since sliced bread.

A phone and Kindle charger? I’m always forgetting mine.

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Jul-21 19:42:08

Oh, and umbrellas by the door, in a stand...

Am I getting a bit demanding now? grin

V3ra Thu 15-Jul-21 19:42:25

When we've been away I've often done an online food shop beforehand with Tesco, who I use at home, and had it delivered to the holiday apartment shortly after we arrive or the next day.
In Spain and the Canaries I've used Mercadona.

Some information about which supermarkets will deliver to your apartment, plus the full delivery address, might be useful?

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jul-21 19:42:53

A mirror, at sitting height, that has at least one plug socket close by for a hairdryer or straighteners.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Jul-21 19:48:50

No suggestions, you seem to have everything covered.
Just want to say that it looks lovely. Great colour scheme, very clean and modern looking.
What part of the country is it?

Nannagarra Thu 15-Jul-21 20:05:16

Having read your exciting menus, Sago, I paid a visit to IKEA 2 weeks ago for some croustades. Whilst there I bought the twin charger seen left which I’d recommend. On the right is a night guard which a hotel guest valued in a review I read. It can be used as a torch in the event of a power cut. Unfortunately mine is PIR which you may not like (manufacturer is eiger). Are you also Missfoodlove or have I misunderstood?

Nightsky2 Thu 15-Jul-21 20:25:36

Chlot

Something which I really welcome is an apron or pinafore; in 30 years of using holiday cottages, I have come across only one place that provided this useful article!

I wonder if it was our place in Cornwall you stayed at. Apron always left hanging on the back of the door in the utility room and did you find the 2 dog bowls under the sink in the utility room?

Nannagarra Thu 15-Jul-21 20:37:30

PIR over the door lock?

Nightsky2 Thu 15-Jul-21 20:48:17

Welcome pack to include a nice bottle of wine.
Hi-Fi system.
Extra pillows and duvets.
Torch.
Clothes pegs and ironing board.
Apron.
Oven gloves.
Tea towel with dish washer tablet, cleaning materials and w up liquid.
Bottle of bleach.
Books.
Pack of cards and children’s games.

Sago Thu 15-Jul-21 21:02:56

Nannagarra yes in a previous life I was MFL!

LauraNorder The apartment is in Ripon.

I have loved hearing all your suggestions and I have been caught out again… going to buy a tea strainer tomorrow!

The knives are superb quality and in a self sharpening block, there is all you need to make a roast dinner or bake a cake.
Also a wicker picnic hamper and vacuum flasks.
Plug sockets by mirrors, full length mirrors, coffee machine.

It’s been great fun, we have used lots of colour as we wanted an uplifting vibe in these dark times.

A mural is going up on Monday to brighten a recess in one of the bathrooms!
It’s a brave move but I hope it will work.

I will miss our nights away there as we hand it over to the holiday let company next week.

If it’s a success we won’t be back until the Autumn.

J52 Thu 15-Jul-21 21:22:32

Don’t know if already mentioned- a bath mat. In the past I’ve had to buy one or use one of my towels.