Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you catch me out?

(199 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 15-Jul-21 11:53:24

We are a week away from letting an apartment we have bought and kitted out as a holiday let.
It’s been great fun decorating and furnishing in a contemporary style.

We hope guests will love it

Is there anything you can think of that would enhance your holiday experience or anything I may have forgotten?

All reasonable suggestions please

Marian1412 Thu 18-Nov-21 17:15:54

Can anyone recommend trivets for putting hot pots on a wood table?

joot Thu 22-Jul-21 07:57:05

I always appreciate a chair that is firm and not too low. My nightmare is these low squishy sofas! I also always check any pics of the loo to see if i can use my portable handrail.
Good luck.

Rowsie Tue 20-Jul-21 18:43:14

One thing that has been sadly lacking from some of the holiday places we have stayed at is...hooks! A simple hook on the back of the door in each room is great for bathrobes etc.

muffinthemoo Tue 20-Jul-21 12:16:26

joysutty

Muffinthemoo. I would suggest those smaller type toiletry products - but it all depends on how much the price been paid for the accommodation i guess.

joy I find the supermarket/Boots prices for the little ones substantially higher than the old 99p B&M strawberry shampoo. I’m in favour of pinching pennies where possible!

joysutty Mon 19-Jul-21 21:56:51

Muffinthemoo. I would suggest those smaller type toiletry products - but it all depends on how much the price been paid for the accommodation i guess.

Lillie Mon 19-Jul-21 21:39:37

like LizH13 i look at all the photos to avoid beds with an end board or rails at the bottom
my husband is tall and a 5 foot bed is best

joysutty Mon 19-Jul-21 21:36:23

At another one we stayed at after used the one toilet roll on this bigger site was then told to buy further ourseles. Very generous

muffinthemoo Mon 19-Jul-21 21:30:48

- Change of bedlinen in case someone is sick
- Packet of emergency pads/tampons is a lifesaver
- LOTS OF TOILET ROLL the good sort, not the John Wayne kind
- Some long life milk if you are leaving teabags
- People are good at forgetting one of shower gel/shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste, if you have any of the bargain places or an Aldi nearby then any of these in the bathroom would be a godsend
- A packet of biscuits or a big poke of crisps would be much appreciated after a long journey
- The numbers of the good local takeaways, especially if they deliver!!
- A cheap bottle of washing up liquid and/or a few dishwasher tablets depending on your kitchen appliances. I have forgotten both on various trips sad
- a big roll of bin bags!!

joysutty Mon 19-Jul-21 21:23:35

At the one we stayed at earlier on this year had typed up list + put in a booklet of the local chemist, doctors, hospital, local pubs + cafe etc.. But also an ordanance survey map of local area which showed walks to go on, lakes, rivers etc. Which was very USEFUL. A small welcome pack + a small sponge lemon cake.

Newatthis Mon 19-Jul-21 06:43:11

Happy to give it a test drive!

NotSpaghetti Mon 19-Jul-21 06:42:55

Oh yes!
Good point, cornergran.
Room freshener is nearly always horrible (regardless of allergies) and makes me think a holiday house is damp or not well cleaned!

cornergran Mon 19-Jul-21 06:04:26

Please be aware of allergies/intolerances. I react badly to most room fresheners, if you use them please make sure they are visible, we’ve spent many an hour hunting hidden ones in holiday lets. This might seem obvious but please ensure the advertising makes it clear which consumables you are providing also the contents of a welcome pack. It seems a bit hit and miss, some hosts provide everything others nothing. As frustrating to take a whole host of things that aren’t needed as it is to arrive and find no toilet paper. I’m sure your apartment will prove to be popular, good luck with your venture.

LizH13 Sun 18-Jul-21 23:50:29

My husband is 6’5” he can’t abide a footboard on the bed. So many modern beds now have them and some pictures conveniently don’t show the end of the bed, even in hotels!
Our last let had nothing left due to COVID fortunately we were warned in advance so took our own treats!

POBCOB Sun 18-Jul-21 20:41:02

White cotton bed linen, 400 thread count is perfect and a sofa that has a high back to rest your head on. I won’t book anywhere if the sofa looks uncomfortable or if it looks as if it should be in an office or waiting room.

Mildmanneredgran Sun 18-Jul-21 17:11:34

Well, I've just read a (lighthearted) post on Mumsnet where the poster was laughing about her husband thinking the oven in their holiday cottage was the microwave. Cue lots of laughter, photos posted, everyone most posters saying silly chap, of course it's an oven, when embarrassingly it turned out to be, as he had said, the microwave.... as well as an oven. One of those new-fangled thingies, and I would have sworn it was an oven from the photo. So perhaps a note to explain the larger kitchen appliances. Just saying.

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Jul-21 14:20:48

Kacee

NotAGran55
That sounds lovely. Can I ask where it is please?

It is in Padstow. Booked via Airbnb .

Kacee Sun 18-Jul-21 13:57:08

NotAGran55
That sounds lovely. Can I ask where it is please?

Gabrielle56 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:57:15

Always good to have some milk! Even a small bottle so we can have a brew before starting to settle in? Also salt and pepper shakers and good supply of loo roll!some lets we have used are a stingey lot! One Roll and rubbish quality although I suspect you treat guests with top quality bumf? God idea for the local eateries and ratings too.hope it all goes well!

pintuck Sun 18-Jul-21 11:31:45

We have a holiday apartment but it is 400 miles away from where we live so we have to rely on our agents to do the 'turnaround' servicing etc. Due to Covid, they have had to remove a lot of things that we had previously left eg tea and coffee making supplies, olive oil for cooking, vinegar for when they have fish and chips etc. I guess this is because it would all have to be cleaned between guests (the cleaner now does a 'deep clean' between all guests). With regard to kitchen equipment, I provide items that I had rarely found in self catering properties I'd stayed in but had wished I had. Examples are an electric hand mixer, a lemon squeezer and a pvc apron. But probably the thing that most people will benefit from is a set of comprehensive notes about the flat (how the shower works, when the bin men come etc), the town (where the necessary shops are, best restaurants pubs and take aways) and local places of interest, including how to get there by public transport, if needed. There is also a drawer filled with leaflets about attractions, local and further afield. One thing I have done which people have remarked on positively in the guest book is to stick laminated postcard sized notes onto the tiles next to the oven, washer/drier, heating controls etc with quick instructions on how to use them, so that people can get started quickly without having to hunt for instruction leaflets. Good luck with your new venture.

Jaxie Sun 18-Jul-21 10:13:23

Dishwasher tablets and disposable dish cloths. Enough clothes detergent for an emergency wash. A folder with useful local info and hints at best places for outings. Where to find a spare key in an emergency and details of local doctor’s surgery. Sorry if this seems obvious.

Yammy Sun 18-Jul-21 09:58:05

Having just spent a holiday in a Wesh cottage that had been completely gutted of cushions indoors and out very few pans no local lists of attractions all by order of the Wesh Gov.
We much appreciated the Lemon drizzle cake that had been left and the salt and pepper also two framed maps of the area with attractions and paths. In the past, at diff cottages, we have appreciated toiletries and a hairdryer and things that just make you feel welcome.
This time we had no oven gloves or teatowels no covered bowl for the microwave.
What we were given though were clean sheets and towels for the second week which we appreciated.
Maybe a bottle of wine and some kind of local cake etc .like suggested by others and the basic kitchen equipment of oven gloves and a tea towel and explain why at the moment it was not fully equipped before people arrive if the rules in other countries are the same. I'm afraid I rang up quite a large electricity bill using the dishwasher more than usual and donated one of my t-shirts as oven gloves.

Opelessgran15 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:16:34

Practical things for me:
Waste bin / paper basket in the bedroom and lounge,small pedal bin in the bathroom,trays for carrying cuppas into the garden or bedroom,disposable or real glasses to store teeth cleaning pariphanalia and to rinse out,and coasters to save surfaces from drinks.We have self catered a lot,and the best ones have been where the owners stayed in there for 2 weeks themselves prior to letting them out.Worst one was where we had cheap black plastic kitchen utensils including a tin opener that stopped working after the second use.In the same place an incredibly noisy water system in the only bedroom.On the plus side,nice welcome pack beautiful and peaceful view at the back,and the owner seemed proudest of the fact you could pat her 2 horses!
My pet gripe is places for 2 being charged at ever extortionate prices since the Covid outbreak.I saw one at £1450 for a week in Fowey,Cornwall, early June,with a kitchen described as 'bijou'.The kitchen table and chairs were the wrought iron garden type.We didn't take up their offer,the pictures were enough to put me off,let alone the price! Good luck with the venture.

Purplepoppies Sun 18-Jul-21 08:13:12

A colandar for washing salads etc.

silverspoon125 Sun 18-Jul-21 07:15:00

A full length mirror, bedside lamp so so you don't have to get out of bed to turn off the light. A mirror for us shorties to be able to dry our hair. A couple of garden chairs would be great. A few kitchen essentials, t towels etc. But for me it's that full length mirror.

misty34 Sat 17-Jul-21 23:07:22

Oooh! I forgot a tin opener that works! I always take my own now as this has happened often to me.