Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

100th birthday gift, any ideas?

(67 Posts)
Foxglove77 Thu 15-Jul-21 12:24:06

We have been invited to a party for our neighbour who is going to be 100 in September. I would like to buy a nice thoughtful gift but not sure what. Web searches suggest a newspaper from the year they were born, or something practical like comfy slippers. Any ideas? TIA

Chardy Sun 18-Jul-21 21:54:54

Vintagegirl

I like the idea of the photos of the day, a record of flowers, gifts and cards and opportunity for people to write a message. My mother celebrated hers last year but in a different country with few family on the day due to covid. It would have been nice to have shared the day with others far away.

Photos of the day, friends, neighbours, presents, cards made into a photo book sounds like a lovely idea
photo.jessops.com/product-category/photo-books/
I have one of DGD's 1st birthday party - made by DDiL, it's a magical momento

Hil1910 Sat 17-Jul-21 19:23:09

A hamper of goodies from Betty’s Tea Shop of Yorkshire, or if you’d like to push the boat out a bottle of champagne/truffles from Fortnum and Mason. Both can be booked online for delivery to the birthday girl’s home.

Aldom Sat 17-Jul-21 11:31:13

Niela

There is a story from the "My Naughty Little Sister" series of books when the little girl takes a lady who is celebrating her 100th birthday a snow globe. She loved it as it reminded her of her childhood.
Maybe something visually appealing would be an original and thoughtful present.

That's a lovely idea.

Niela Fri 16-Jul-21 20:04:35

There is a story from the "My Naughty Little Sister" series of books when the little girl takes a lady who is celebrating her 100th birthday a snow globe. She loved it as it reminded her of her childhood.
Maybe something visually appealing would be an original and thoughtful present.

Knittynatter Fri 16-Jul-21 18:38:46

Company.
After all if you live alone and can’t get about so easily, isn’t that what we all want?
I like the PP idea of Visit tokens.

coastalgran Fri 16-Jul-21 18:10:19

A rose, a small tree, a star, all of these are memorable for the person and the family once the individual dies. I am giving a rose to a friend next week for her 91st birthday in her favourite shade of pink. This will live on for her son, daughter, granddaughters once this lady is long gone, they can even plant it at a headstone or in a memorial garden. Food, once it's eaten there is no lasting memory and let's face it once you get to the 100 milestone you need to project wider than the person celebrating their birthday.

justme2 Fri 16-Jul-21 17:50:00

If you know her interests, a nice book on tape and simple way to play them.

oodles Fri 16-Jul-21 17:30:57

My mum lived into her mid nineties and always appreciated some nice toiletries, she still liked a bit of nail varnish or lipstick, nice perfumed talc or some perfume, she couldn't get out towards the end and I used to get her things she asked for, from Boots or Superdrug
May not be this lady's cup of tea but if she always enjoyed a bit of pampering she may well appreciate it

Kryptonite Fri 16-Jul-21 17:22:38

Some really nice coffee.

Sloegin Fri 16-Jul-21 16:20:43

My grandmother was still keen on her sherry at nearly 100. If I get to that age I hope I'm still able to enjoy my tipple so I'd suggest a good bottle of whatever she enjoys.

seacliff Fri 16-Jul-21 15:15:15

It's difficult as we don't know her. Some ladies even at 100 would love a visit from a mobile nail technician, a little treat of hand massage and nail varnish applied.

I think being taken out for a nice tea and cake would be lovely, something to look forward to when all the celebrations had finished.

If she has, or used to have, a loved pet. Then a sketch or painting from a photo... could be too expensive though.

Ask if you could record her telling stories of the old days in her town, lovely for future generations to hear. If she has a interested grandchild, the recording could be made as an informal chat/interview of them both.

Humbertbear Fri 16-Jul-21 15:09:28

Sorry to put a dampener on some of the suggestions but my mum was 100 last year and hates looking back and anything that smacks of nostalgia. We bought her a cardigan and my sister bought her cushion and a plant. Five of us had afternoon tea with her and the rest of the family joined us on zoom (also with afternoon tea). She likes chocolates, box sets of DVDs and martini. For our Golden Wedding we asked for donations to the local hospice and raised nearly £1000.

Placida Fri 16-Jul-21 15:06:50

If your neighbour is a Catholic may by you could get her a birthday Mass enrolment from Westminster Cathedral or order from The Franciscan Mass association by post. Info available. Or a nice cushion with her photo on from Snappy Snaps.

Notright Fri 16-Jul-21 14:57:48

The one thing I know I would like at that age is a photo album with pictures past and present o my family.

Placida Fri 16-Jul-21 14:57:18

Just a thought, if your neighbour is a Catholic a birthday Mass Enrolment from the Franciscan Mass Association or a nice cushion with their photo on. Snappy Snaps do them.

Pearl10 Fri 16-Jul-21 14:08:21

No more stuff! And if anybody tried to give me comfy slippers they’d go straight to Age Concern.
Afternoon tea somewhere special or easy trips to places of interest are better ideas.
I took my mum to Charles Dickens birthplace but it was local-ish for us. A theatre trip? Plants and flowers or favourite edibles. Nothing which needs a permanent home.

Coppernob Fri 16-Jul-21 14:01:03

My Auntie was 100 this week and the family (and she) didn't want presents. She gets overwhelmed by too many things and at her age there's nothing she needs. Her children are planting some trees in a location that is special to her which seems a lovely idea and contributions to that were gratefully received.

Awesomegranny Fri 16-Jul-21 13:59:56

I would ask the host is there’s any collection towards a special present eg theme day. You never know if fit enough the neighbour may have always wanted a balloon trip, or even skydiving so far better to contribute towards a memory day than fluffy slippers.

Snip Fri 16-Jul-21 13:31:40

Perhaps a Big Print Newspaper subscription. It's a weekly news summary and TV/radio guide with some quizzes, which arrives in the post.

Nannyknee Fri 16-Jul-21 13:29:36

When my mom turned 100 she asked for donations to a children’s charity ad she said they are the future

Lulubelle500 Fri 16-Jul-21 13:26:44

Poshpaws: 75+ are the largest group who donate to charities in the UK, but one off gifts rather than 'as a routine'; most pensioners can't afford regular donations. I think a gift in their name would be much appreciated. I'm not even 80 yet and I certainly don't need any more stuff. As far as thoughtful gifts go, when my sis and I cleared out my mother's flat when she died we found two chests of drawers chockful of thoughtful gifts. What she loved most were visits from her family. She had eight grandchildren and when one of the boys was particularly broke he sent a card saying: Visit from Peep - her nickname for him! - to be redeemed any time! And his mobile number. This idea caught on with the rest of the family and became her most loved gift from all of us. There were no unclaimed Visit Cards when she died.

Allsorts Fri 16-Jul-21 13:04:41

Take her out somewhere she wants to go.

Stella14 Fri 16-Jul-21 13:03:07

I love the idea of a tree with the Woodland Trust. Failing that flowers or chocolates if she eats them. No objects at that age. I’m 62 and already thinking getting more objects makes no sense.

Vintagegirl Fri 16-Jul-21 13:02:58

I like the idea of the photos of the day, a record of flowers, gifts and cards and opportunity for people to write a message. My mother celebrated hers last year but in a different country with few family on the day due to covid. It would have been nice to have shared the day with others far away.

Infinity2 Fri 16-Jul-21 12:52:07

If people aren’t sure about donations, I’m always willing to accept a tenner. ?