Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How did a large snail get into the toilet bowl?

(54 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 21-Jul-21 11:35:14

There was a large brownish lump on the side of the toilet bowl at water level. I was about to accuse dh of not flushing properly, when I realised it was actually a large garden snail! How on earth did it get there? Did it swim up the drain from outside? I didn’t realise snails could swim. It’s now been flushed back down with the help of the toilet brush. Will it be back I wonder.

Puzzled Sun 25-Jul-21 08:44:39

Snails are good mountain climbers, judged by the one outside our upstairs windows.
Hedgehogs and frogs seem to find them tasty

AlexG Sat 24-Jul-21 21:17:15

I’ve showered with a small pretty frog in the Philippines. My brother lives there and often has a frog visitor in his bathroom. Frog doesn’t seem to mind soap or shampoo either so tends to be left there until he disappears the way he’s come

Davida1968 Fri 23-Jul-21 17:57:27

I've long been convinced that slugs and snails can abseil. And that (like Looby Loo) they do this only when no-one is looking...

Gabrielle56 Fri 23-Jul-21 16:54:55

I get the little horrors climbing up the house onto my bedroom window!! They climb like Hilary! Also, as an experiment I painted a red dot nail polish on a big snails shell then chucked it (humanely) across the back fence(8 foot drop and half a field).....it appeared back on my basil pot 2 days later.......

Jaxie Thu 22-Jul-21 20:53:02

I read somewhere that there is a particular breed of flesh-eating slugs that lives in the drains of butcher’s shops, eating all the nasty bits of stuff that wash down the the plug holes of the sinks. Eurggh.

Sadgrandma Thu 22-Jul-21 20:23:38

Think yourself lucky, 25 Avalon, that you don’t live in Florida where they often get alligators down their toilets
( baby ones I hope)!

ExDancer Thu 22-Jul-21 16:11:11

www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/817228/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-in-your-house

MaggieTulliver Thu 22-Jul-21 16:06:57

OMG stamping on snails! How could you...I’m perplexed and disgusted that anyone would do this.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 22-Jul-21 15:59:43

Slugs and snails apparently have a homing instinct and will come back, though depending how far you deport them obviously affects how long they stay awa. I once industriously removed a bucket load of snails and emptied them out at a nearby green space. I should have marked the shells with a dab of paint and timed how long it took them?

dustyangel Thu 22-Jul-21 15:34:20

I’ve seen snail trails in a RN hiring in Gosport Hampshire! We didn’t stay there long. grin

The snail has been in this position outside the kitchen window for at least six months I thought it was dead but also thought it looked better than a squelchy mark. Having read this thread I went to take the photo and I swear it’s moved into deeper shade.

GreenGran78 Thu 22-Jul-21 15:30:51

I wonder why slugs want to come into our dry foodless houses? I sometimes find them in my utility room, but none seem to venture any further. I pick them up in a tissue and release them in the common land across the road from my house. I couldn’t stamp on any creature, no matter how slimy, and often rescue stranded worms from theavement. Any stray fieldmouse that manages to move in is caught in a humane trap and set free outside. Spiders are welcome to stay, and flying insects are wafted outside with a newspaper.
We had to get a bee-keeper in, recently, when a nest was discovered under the tiles of my daughter’s porch by her workmen. A neighbour said that it was hilarious to see four big brawny builders running away, screaming like schoolgirls. I’m sorry to have missed that! ?

SheilsM Thu 22-Jul-21 15:17:52

How awful!

seadragon Thu 22-Jul-21 14:44:25

Ours climb in the window!! Orkney is the only place I've lived where you can see snail trails on carpets...and we don't have the windows open that often!!

polnan Thu 22-Jul-21 14:17:38

ugh! ugh! and ugh! I don`t like snails, dislike slugs even more

spiders terrify me.. and wood lice! ugh!

ElderlyPerson Thu 22-Jul-21 13:42:17

I once found a slug in a packet of frozen peas.

I never bought that brand again.

Jules1960 Thu 22-Jul-21 13:29:22

My 93 year old mum found a hedgehog in her bathroom, she lives in a house not a bungalow. We are still baffled how he got in.

25Avalon Thu 22-Jul-21 13:23:58

If there was a toad in the loo that’s why you had no snails in there!!

pce612 Thu 22-Jul-21 12:00:19

Some years ago there was a toad in the downstairs toilet, no idea how it got there.
More recently (a couple of months ago) on several occasions, I was finding a live slug in the dishwasher. Always kept shut except when loading/unloading, hot wash cycle. No slug trails on the floor.
I have come to the conclusion that slugs are pan-dimensional beings.

11unicorn Thu 22-Jul-21 11:29:07

We often have slugs and snails in the house as they take a ride in on the cat or dog when they've been lying in the grass outside.

rowyn Thu 22-Jul-21 11:19:04

From fauna to flora... reminds me of the time I discovered mushrooms growing in the corner of the bathroom. In my defence I did wash the floor regularly and so called a plumber who discovered a water leak.

springishere Thu 22-Jul-21 11:17:48

The same way that the spiders get into the bath!

25Avalon Thu 22-Jul-21 09:46:20

Nanna8 I do that as well!

nanna8 Thu 22-Jul-21 09:06:20

I stamp on them. The birds get the squashy bits.

25Avalon Thu 22-Jul-21 08:59:37

I didn’t pick it up and put it in the garden where it could eat my plants or even the non-toxic to birds slug and snail pellets that I put down to protect my plants or I wouldn’t have any. As it is it has a chance in the septic tank.

MaggieTulliver Thu 22-Jul-21 08:16:52

Why didn’t you pick it up and dispose of it in the garden rather than flushing it down the loo? Snails and slugs have just as much a right to life as us and play an important role in the eco system (food for birds etc). It saddens me that people have such disrespect for other living things and find them disgusting when to me they are fascinating.