Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Unconventional wedding gift suggestions

(14 Posts)
Athenia Sat 24-Jul-21 08:52:27

My niece is getting married and already lives with her fiancé.
I would really like to give them an experience of some kind, instead of just money.
I don't really want to buy one of the available ones, such as a helicopter flight.
Ideally, I'd like to give them something that is extraordinary, even if only slightly.
For example, when her mother, (my sister) and hubby came to visit me in France in 2018 for the weekend, I organised as a surprise a wonderful carriage drive through the countryside in an open vehicle drawn by two very dynamic donkeys. (The coachman was a donkey breeder who competes in driving competitions at national level in Paris.) This was greatly enjoyable, and I shared it with them.
I'm now back in the UK again, but live 170 miles from my niece.
I know that all you delightful grans have a wealth of experience and wisdom, so that's why I'm asking for your suggestions.
Hopefully, your answers may also inspire others too.

timetogo2016 Sat 24-Jul-21 08:58:56

A trip on the orient express/a hot air balloon ride maybe ?.
Or a weekend in London/York.
All sounds nice to me.
You are very thoughtfull,i hope they appreciate whatever give them.

timetogo2016 Sat 24-Jul-21 09:00:18

you give them,that should read.

Sago Sat 24-Jul-21 09:03:45

There are some fantastic foraging days, you learn how to forage, mushrooms, seaweed etc,etc, then cook a meal using what you found.
Probably quite useful if what the media are saying about food shortages is true!

geekesse Sat 24-Jul-21 10:06:30

A quick look through some of the options on Virgin Experiences throws up a few. What about making your own gin? I know of an independent jeweller who offers a day making your own piece of jewellery - pm me if you want details.

NotAGran55 Sat 24-Jul-21 10:38:44

Without knowing anything about the couple’s tastes and interests , and your budget this is very difficult to answer.

One persons dream event is another’s nightmare.

Septimia Sat 24-Jul-21 12:53:06

I've received some very nice experience days as presents, but actually redeeming them hasn't been easy. Often the only venues were far from where we live, so we've had to cough up for a night's stay - which could be more expensive than the experience!

One experience had to be cancelled several times due to the weather and, in the end, we got a refund. We spent that on two or three activities that we wouldn't otherwise have done and could choose ones that were closer to home.

So.....rather than a specific activity, if you choose to go for something like that, why not give them a gift voucher for one of the experience sites?

Infinity2 Sat 24-Jul-21 13:55:43

Why not an overnight stay at a nice London hotel and a delicious afternoon tea at Claridges ?

Or a hamper from Fortnum & Mason ? They start at about £100 and everyone loves them. In fact a local charity shop were trying to sell an empty F & M hamper for £40 last year !

travelnan Sat 24-Jul-21 16:20:28

Yes Infinity2 the hamper was sold the very next morning! Someone was waiting on the doorstep for the shop to open.

Infinity2 Sat 24-Jul-21 16:29:21

Wow !
I thought about buying it and filling it with my B & M goodies or maybe push the boat out for Lidl but changed my mind ?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 24-Jul-21 18:06:11

If they have asked for money then I would give them what they have asked for.
As another poster has said, your taste might not be the same as theirs.

Daisymae Sat 24-Jul-21 21:56:18

Oh dear! I've just bought a canteen of cutlery! Sounds a bit boring now. It is super smart ☺️

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Jul-21 06:41:54

Ha ha Daisy ... I hope it's a design they actually want!
?

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Jul-21 07:05:55

It really depends on the sort of people they are.

Would they like to learn how to make timber-framed buildings - or straw-bale ones?

Might they enjoy a weekend of traditional crafts - willow weaving?

Other "making" activities such as slump glass or sour-dough bread?

A good spa weekend (not too far from home) maybe? Lots of reputable ones will offer a gift voucher but be sure they would want it (I wouldn't, for example, but one of my daughters and son in law would).

If you are intending to spend more, is there an artist they love? Can you think about an original artwork? A signed print?

Or maybe you could have a chat with them and make some suggestions, explain what you'd like to do and see what they say?

If money isn't an issue, they might like something bespoke for their home. Obviously you would really be giving cash - but perhaps towards a project that they will remember for years to come.
I know this isn't an experience....
I've managed for years with curtains I don't much like in our bedroom because of the (eye-watering) cost of something I really would like. They are fine and serviceable, just not something I love.
My mother-in-law, years ago, was "treated" to a largish gift and had a cabinet maker create a narrow cupboard which fitted a particular space in her home. She still loves this cupboard even though she has moved twice since.
We once had a simple contemporary table made which was amazing. We chose the actual wood, designed it with the furniture-maker and still love it today.

Could you ask them to choose a holiday up to x value? Something they really fancy?

Good luck. Please come back and let us know how you get on.